See Live UFC Prelims on Facebook Saturday

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » See Live UFC Prelims on Facebook Saturday
grappler0000
1/18/11 12:48:11PM
The opportunity to watch two live prelim fights for free from UFC® Fight For The Troops 2 is now only a click away. The Ultimate Fighting Championship® announced today that fans will have the ability to watch two exciting UFC contests on Saturday, Jan. 22 at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT by simply clicking the “Like” button on the official UFC Facebook page.

By liking Facebook.com/UFC, fans will gain access to a live stream of the lightweight battle between Cody McKenzie (12-0) of The Ultimate Fighter® and veteran Yves Edwards (39-16-1), as well as a pivotal welterweight clash pitting TUF alum DaMarques Johnson (16-8) against Mike “The Joker” Guymon (13-4-1). Fans that do not have a Facebook account are encouraged to sign up at www.facebook.com.

“I’m always looking for ways to give fans fights for free and this is just another example of that,” UFC President Dana White said. “Facebook is such a great tool for people to stay connected and we’re excited to put two live fights on our UFC page for free.”

Link
DCRage
1/18/11 3:10:35PM
Maybe it's because I'm like the only person on earth not on Facebook (and never intend to be on it), but this gets a big thumbs-down from me.
emfleek
1/18/11 3:20:00PM
It beats the hell out of Ion.
Bubbles
1/18/11 3:27:47PM
seriously, facebook??? this is so stupid. im going to guess the next step is that the Sanchez/Kampmann prelims will air on twitter
emfleek
1/18/11 3:33:02PM

Posted by Bubbles

seriously, facebook??? this is so stupid.

Accessible to anyone, anywhere in the world and a great way to promote the UFC's Facebook page and, ultimately, the UFC brand. Care to explain how it's stupid?
Rabi
1/18/11 3:56:49PM
I think its brilliant, im glad they are showing the McKenzie/Edwards fight.
TimW001
1/18/11 4:34:14PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Bubbles

Accessible to anyone, anywhere in the world and a great way to promote the UFC's Facebook page and, ultimately, the UFC brand. Care to explain how it's stupid?

Yea, what's the problem? This is a great idea.

Can't get on NBC? Facebook is bigger than NBC.
Chael_Sonnen
1/18/11 6:09:55PM

Posted by emfleek

It beats the hell out of Ion.

I disagree.......Ion > Facebook

Either way, I will hit the like button and watch....thanks Uncle Dana
emfleek
1/18/11 6:17:40PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Possibly because your Satellite/Cable provider offers Ion? Mine doesn't. Therefore...

Facebook > Ion (x 1000)
ChrisSabal
1/18/11 7:24:59PM
love the idea. Hopefully lots of people will watch. I don't understand how others think this is a bad or dumb idea.
grappler0000
1/18/11 7:41:34PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Possibly because your Satellite/Cable provider offers Ion? Mine doesn't. Therefore...

Facebook > Ion (x 1000)

Also, Facebook overtook Google...yes, overtook Google...as the most visited website in 2010.

Edit: which reminds me...Fleek, when is the PG gonna make the leap?
pmoney
1/18/11 7:48:29PM
Yeah this is instantly one of the best business moves ever for both the UFC and Facebook. Both brands are exposed to new demographics, and in staggering numbers.

Most of the people who have a Facebook are on there 1-50 times a day.

If Ion is in 900 million homes, 899 million homes are unaware of it
FastKnockout
1/18/11 8:05:47PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Bubbles

Agreed. I'm in my 20's, so of course I have Facebook. I have no problem with it. Great way to watch and chat with my local buddies who aren't with me.
emfleek
1/18/11 9:04:20PM

Posted by grappler0000

I supposed I could start up an account. I'll have to run it by the "powers that be"...
grappler0000
1/18/11 9:32:47PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by grappler0000

I supposed I could start up an account. I'll have to run it by the "powers that be"...

I know it may seem like an extra burden, but you can link the Twitter account to Facebook and kill 2 birds with 1 stone...and you can select which tweets go to Facebook. And it's all free, so no real downside. I've set up a couple of fan pages before, so if there are any questions, just shoot.
emfleek
1/18/11 9:37:05PM

Posted by grappler0000

I know it may seem like an extra burden, but you can link the Twitter account to Facebook and kill 2 birds with 1 stone...and you can select which tweets go to Facebook. And it's all free, so no real downside. I've set up a couple of fan pages before, so if there are any questions, just shoot.

Will do! Thanks!
Drudinh
1/19/11 1:46:26AM
IMO

PG > ION > Facebook

In my growing age I am more and more paranoid about technology and what the future holds. I guess to check out the the fights I'll have to sign back on to facebook. It has been over a year from when I was on it last. I use to love it when it was only intended for college students. When it became like myspace that was pretty much it for me. IDK mabe I'm too opinionated.
Shawn91111
1/19/11 5:36:45AM
Pretty sure the Playground already has a facebook page
cowcatcher
1/19/11 11:21:18AM
I got rid of my facebook page after reading about how good a haircut looked, that someone was going shopping, stories of things(on a scale form horrible to hilarious) I did when I was younger getting posted for my son/nephews/nieces to see, how good the meatloaf was last night, etc. way too many times. Facebook can farkle itself as far as I'm concerned, but anyone can create a fake account to watch the fights if they are like me so it's not a big deal, and it is a very smart and forward thinking idea by the UFC to do this.
scoozna
1/19/11 2:22:06PM
I think it's pretty smart.

I also think it is pretty smart to un-like the UFC page as soon as the fights are over. They post a bunch of nonsense to that page.
emfleek
1/19/11 2:48:40PM

Posted by scoozna

They post a bunch of nonsense to that page.

Agreed. Pictures of fighters with fans is not something I care about, yet it makes up about 98% of their posts.

On the other hand, if I were to remove people from my friends' list for posting nonsense, I'd have nothing to read.

grappler0000
1/19/11 3:52:29PM

Posted by scoozna

I think it's pretty smart.

I also think it is pretty smart to un-like the UFC page as soon as the fights are over. They post a bunch of nonsense to that page.

Or you can just remove them from your news feed...that's what I do with annoying relatives.
emfleek
1/19/11 4:18:59PM

Posted by grappler0000

Or you can just remove them from your news feed...that's what I do with annoying relatives.

Oh I do...the "Hide" feature is my friend. Oh, and the "Block this App" feature.
prozacnation1978
1/20/11 12:43:05PM
I may be the only guy in california with out a facebook page
grappler0000
1/21/11 1:58:22PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Pretty sure the Playground already has a facebook page

I only see a 'group' and a fake page by an obviously butthurt former player. The group is great and all, but a page is better suited to the Playground IMO...especially as far as attracting new players.