How many of you still live with your parents?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » How many of you still live with your parents?
« Previous Page
Bubbles
2/6/13 9:18:11AM

Posted by Poor_Franklin
also, one was a good friend whom we found to have very annoying living habits. it took me 9 months of not living w/ him to finally look forward to hanging out w/ him again.

i wouldnt ever say not to have roommates, but i would warn everyone to choose them wisely

I have to agree. When I first moved away for school I lived in a house of 11 other people for 2 years (10 min walk from school, cheap rent all inclusive, 5 min walk to grocery store), then me and 4 friends from that house got a new place for a year, and then 2 of them and I got a new place for a year. You find out really fast how annoying some things can be and what you can tolerate. My first residence I moved in knowing nobody, and realized how much I took for granted.

Living with somebody, you see things that either you wouldnt expect from them or you see a whole new side of them. It's one thing to hang out for a couple hours watching the game, its another seeing them everyday for hours on end

Don't get me wrong, having roommates/housemates can lead to some of the best friendships and moments in your life and will be a great experience, but as P_F said, choose wisely. It's very easy to snap on them over nothing if things build up...luckily we were a bunch of stoners so nothing got too heated; we vented, smoked a bowl and everything was good
Budgellism
2/6/13 10:47:00AM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

well since i was w/ my gf, we had little privacy. there was ALWAYS someone home so it was rare we had moments to ourselves.
also, one was a good friend whom we found to have very annoying living habits. it took me 9 months of not living w/ him to finally look forward to hanging out w/ him again.

i wouldnt ever say not to have roommates, but i would warn everyone to choose them wisely

I lived with 4 of my best friends for a summer a few years back. It was a terrible idea. It was a nightmare living with a few of them. So much so that some of us grew apart.

I found out the hard way that living with close friends is probably not the best choice.
Svartorm
2/6/13 11:22:03AM
I live with my wife in an in-law house. My father built both places and connected them with a hallway, so it's really two houses connected by an eighty foot long hallway. It's private and my father is almost never home, so it makes it easy to watch his dog for him, or if he's around, he can grab ours for the day while we're working. Wish it was closer to work, but can't beat no rent.

My advice for young guys. Keep receipts for a month for EVERYTHING you buy. You'll be sick to your stomach at how much of your income you throw away and this will help you when you live alone. Easy to not realize you spend $300 a month on Dunkin Donuts for instance.
Bubbles
2/6/13 12:55:38PM

Posted by Svartorm
My advice for young guys. Keep receipts for a month for EVERYTHING you buy. You'll be sick to your stomach at how much of your income you throw away and this will help you when you live alone. Easy to not realize you spend $300 a month on Tim Horton's for instance.

fixed
airkerma
2/7/13 11:01:29AM
18: 6 years of school
24: Officially on my own
27: Still working the corner in this town
Ordep
2/7/13 10:44:25PM
Left at 18 for college and always had roomates but never had a problem. It was all fun. At 22 I moved to GA to start Grad School and lived by myself for 3 years in a very nice apartment. After that I moved with a Labmate and two undergrads to a 4 bedroom townhouse to save some $$. Bad idea, me and my friend made little progress towards our degrees during those 2 years since we were living the "college" life again. Last year I moved again. Now I'm renting a nice little house by myself but spend most of the day in the lab/office. However, I still have my room back at my parents. I'd go there one or two weekends per month during college and very often since I started here because the fieldwork for my dissertation is back in PR so I've been "saving" money for the project and the University by using my old car and staying with them when I go there to do research.
jay98107
2/9/13 2:05:09PM
I'll probably move back in with my dad for a little while when I graduate. A creative writing degree isn't going to get me a job
Pages: 1 [2]