Lister Wants Shot At Silva

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Lister Wants Shot At Silva
MMAcca
11/26/08 12:58:14PM
When the official card for UFC 92 in Las Vegas was announced, the middleweight bout between Dean Lister and Yushin Okami was conspicuously left off the main card despite the fact that many are seeing this bout as a de facto No. 1 contenders match to challenge champion Anderson Silva in the future.

Currently sporting a 4-1 record in the UFC, Lister has been working hard to get to a title shot and he's hoping that his fight with Okami gets noticed, but has no ill will towards the promotion for the fight not currently being slated for the pay-per-view broadcast.

LINK
jae_1833
11/26/08 1:40:07PM
True....this fight should be televised and should be considered the fight for the #1 contendars spot.
amicali
11/26/08 1:45:06PM
are you kidding me?! thatz a very interesting fight, very important fight, get freakin CB off the main card and put this on!
stock
11/26/08 1:46:33PM
I cannot even imagine what the lines on a Silva/Lister fight would look like.

I think anything higher than a -750, I might bet my house.
jahdoug
11/26/08 1:57:59PM
Im as big a lister fan as anyone, but his striking is only slowly improving. He would get smoked by silva, look at what Marquardt's strikng was compared to Lister. And we know how silva disposed of him. I know mma math doent work like that but come on. Id still like to see him get a shot
prozacnation1978
11/26/08 2:31:42PM
i think leites and maia have better chances of getting shot then lister
but i do think maia vs leites for title shot should happen in feb
crazedfan
11/26/08 4:14:54PM
Yeah, I can't imagine why this fight isn't on the televised portion. With two title fights, there's a very good chance that no undercard fights will get aired. Both these guys need all the exposure they can get, especially considering if Okami wins he's getting the title shot and Lister will be close to one if he wins.
emfleek
11/26/08 4:41:24PM
Careful what you wish for, Deano.
pv3Hpv3p
11/26/08 4:58:41PM
Not to be a dick... But what has Dean Lister ever done to deserve a title shot... He has absolutley no immpressive wins... I love Jeremey Horn as much as the next guy, but 103 fight in 12 years(one of those being a previous victory over Lister)... That's averaging more than 8 fights a year... No one's body can stand up to that...

Other than Horn, who? Sakara? Shoji? Radeav? The only shot he's had at top comp was marquardt... Or even Arona (but that was at 205)... And he's lost both those affairs... I just don't see anything outstanding about the guy, don't really know how he's getting a #1 contender fight??? I'd rather watch Bisping / Okami... Or just plain Okami / Silva... But whatever... Anderson can get himself another HL reel KO, and I can sit on my couch and go "DAMMMMMNNN" to all the replays... It's cool in my book
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
11/26/08 6:09:26PM
I'm thinking Damien is next, lister is good if he wins by like tapping or Koing Okami but Maia for sure or wait for Cote and Silva fights some light heavies for awhile
Twenty20Dollars
11/26/08 6:31:35PM
Lister prolly has the farthest to go to get a title shot because I think he is at the bottom on the contenders.
Not in any order. Hendo,Marquardt,Leites,Okami,Bisping,Franklin,Maia

But it would be a good match up for Silva, since dean is good on the ground.
Porch28
11/26/08 7:15:43PM
If he puts on a dominating display against Okami I say give it to him , but I don't think it will happen
higdon10
11/26/08 9:52:43PM
The MW division is very crowded NEAR the top. Lister is a mile away from a title shot.
Bobby-B-Bonkers
11/26/08 11:20:53PM

Posted by Porch28

If he puts on a dominating display against Okami I say give it to him , but I don't think it will happen

I just watched Yushin vs Silva at Rumble on the Rock, the fight was never close, Silva owned him the entire time, i think Yushin could've continued after the foul that got Silva D.Q.'ed - but b/c he was getting his *ss handed to him he decided that his face already hurt enough!

interesting things to note about Yushin vs Silva #1 - Troy Mandaloniz aka "Rude Boy" from season 6 on TUF was the ref , yushin vs silva was at a catchweight of 174lbs, Silva ko'ed yushin from his back WHILE yushin is in Silva's guard on his knees!!!.....

regardless of yushin vs lister,,, silva is on another level

whatcha think???
ohiostate1016
11/29/08 5:45:01PM
I don't think it's out of the question to say that Lister could hang with Anderson on the ground...but then again, this is Anderson Freaking Silva that we are talking about! A black belt in jiu-jitsu...and the most dominant striker in the game. The only way that you'd probably have an edge on him would be to out-wrestle him. But again...he's so flexible that it'd be hard to hold him down.

The only guy that would probably have a shot at beating him at 185 is Okami, and that's if he can work his GnP. Speaking of G's and P's...what about GSP against Anderson? We all know that he could probably out-wrestle the Spider Man, but would he be too light to hold Andy down? Gosh I hope we get to find out!

jahdoug
12/10/08 11:21:35AM
^^^ Lister is a better pure grappler than silva...since he's not even able to be mentioned in the same sentence as silva re:striking you gotta give him his due on the ground...ADCC absolute champ, etc. I know that Anderson Silvas ground game still is underrated on the forums, inexplicably so, but dean is way better than Lutter and i think better grapplin' that Silva.
runningman08
6/21/09 10:49:52PM
Yea lister isn't getting a shot. He can think about it all he wants; thats as close as he will ever get.
jiujitsufreak74
6/21/09 10:52:28PM

Posted by runningman08

Yea lister isn't getting a shot. He can think about it all he wants; thats as close as he will ever get.

i don't want to sound like a dick, but could you please stop bringing up dead topics in the news forum?
TNPanther78
6/21/09 10:53:33PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by runningman08

i don't want to sound like a dick, but could you please stop bringing up dead topics in the news forum?

My thought exactly, he will get bbanned eventually.
Jackelope
6/21/09 11:39:05PM
No point in bumping this old thread. Everyone knows Dean Lister is now out of the UFC, and therefore this whole topic is irrelevant.

I'm locking the thread to prevent arguments from ensuing since people are angry about the thread getting re-bumped. Also, it is being locked because it's all irrelevant now anyway.