Listen To The Black Keys

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Listen To The Black Keys
jimmypockets
6/17/08 1:26:38AM
If anyone out there enjoys good music listen to The Black Keys. I have seen a few people comment on my avatar so I know there are a few souls that are not lost. Ha ha ha Make yourself be known. The music tends to lean towards Blues/Rock however they have different sounds. Definately one the best rock bands you have never heard of.
Kpro
6/17/08 2:22:39AM
Agreed.

I caught them in concert earlier this year in Phoenix. Their shows are highly recommended.
bullettdodger
6/17/08 3:09:14AM
Preach the word of the Black Keys brother, really one of my favorite bands still making music right now. There is passion, feeling, and quite a unique sound in The Black Keys. Personal favorites of mine include they're cover of "She Said", "Brooklyn Busted", "Do The Rump", and "Them Eyes"... of course many more but i don't feel like listing them now. People looking for good albums of theirs to buy i highly recommend "The Big Come Up", "Thickfreakiness" (spelling?..) and "Rubber Factory"... wasn't too impressed with they're latest album but i haven't heard all of it so i can't really give an educated opinion about it
SmileR
6/17/08 7:49:49AM
Hell yeah I love the black keys!!
ohiostate1016
6/17/08 9:59:30AM
They are a great duo. I'm pretty sure that it's because they are from Ohio (Akron). They worked with Danger Mouse from Gnarls Barkley on their latest album, and he added some really great stuff to their sound, including hip hop beats and busts. They have a great blues rock sound, and they are a solid listen throughout which ever album you decide to pick up.

They are coming to Columbus in Ocotober, and I hope to be there to see that outdoor concert in the chilling cold (hopefully it will be cold, that would be cool).
jimmypockets
6/17/08 11:02:54AM
I have 4th row tickets to see them in Nashville in October. I run a music store and I always keep at least one of their Cd's in the system at work. Check out tracks like "Heavy Soul", "Busted", "Thickfreakness" and "Stackshot Billy". Those are my personal favorites. Their new album sounds really odd compared to the others but it is because the music for that album was originally written for an upcoming Ike Turner album that got scrapped when he died. Basically they had worked hard making the music. They couldn't just scrap it so they put words to it and made it their own.
bullettdodger
6/17/08 12:36:04PM

Posted by jimmypockets

I have 4th row tickets to see them in Nashville in October. I run a music store and I always keep at least one of their Cd's in the system at work. Check out tracks like "Heavy Soul", "Busted", "Thickfreakness" and "Stackshot Billy". Those are my personal favorites. Their new album sounds really odd compared to the others but it is because the music for that album was originally written for an upcoming Ike Turner album that got scrapped when he died. Basically they had worked hard making the music. They couldn't just scrap it so they put words to it and made it their own.

Thanks, that cleared up some confusion i had about "Magic Potion" was it called? I love "Busted" and "Heavy Soul", but haven't heard "Stackshot Billy"... which album is it off of?
emfleek
6/17/08 2:54:57PM
The Black Keys
Black Diamond Heavies
Left Lane Cruiser
Bob Log III
Scott H. Biram
The Pack A.D.

You should be listening to ALL of these bands. Alive Naturalsound Records is a good starting point for bands like the Black Keys.

And check out Hillgrass Bluebilly Entertainment. Do a search or go to dirtyfootfamily.com...lots of good music can be found through those guys.
emfleek
6/17/08 2:56:09PM

Posted by bullettdodger

Thanks, that cleared up some confusion i had about "Magic Potion" was it called? I love "Busted" and "Heavy Soul", but haven't heard "Stackshot Billy"... which album is it off of?

Great tune.

It's off of 'Rubber Factory'.
bullettdodger
6/17/08 6:36:03PM
Thanks man, i know i have that album laying around somewhere, i really need to upload it to my itunes
jimmypockets
6/17/08 9:07:45PM
If everyone likes the Black Keys you might check out a band Dan Auerbach discovered called Radio Moscow. They have a similar blues sound but wail on the guitars a little more. They are a small band though so it is kinda hard to find sometimes
emfleek
6/17/08 10:41:55PM

Posted by jimmypockets

If everyone likes the Black Keys you might check out a band Dan Auerbach discovered called Radio Moscow. They have a similar blues sound but wail on the guitars a little more. They are a small band though so it is kinda hard to find sometimes

I saw them last year at the Deep Blues Festival in River Falls, Wisconsin. I really liked them at first and even bought their disc. Though, the more I listened, the less I liked...

I'll still give them props based on the fact that they're on the Alive Records label.

jimmypockets - check out the Black Diamond Heavies. Auerbach produced their latest album. Both of their albums rock! We (Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW) just brought them into town this past weekend. We'll be bringing Radio Moscow through sometime in the future, if their tour dates ever line up with an open slot for us.
emfleek
6/17/08 10:43:44PM
Oh, yeah...gotta show some love for Hillstomp, too!

HILLSTOMP

HILLSTOMP (MySpace)
Pitbull09
6/18/08 4:23:07AM
People relate them to White Stripes (my favorite band) but they do stay dedicated to good simple drum beats with sweet guitar solos, which is something Jack White has fallen away from lately.

I am the true winner as in August I get to see The Raconteurs, The Black Keys, and Bob Dylan all in concert together!!!! My two favorite bands touring and you can;t go wrong with Bob Dylan. Maybe I will get a picture or autograph from Jack White!!
emfleek
6/18/08 8:46:05AM
Okay, you people are blowing my mind. I had no idea so many of you had such good taste in music.

I thought 99% of the people here were death/speed metal fans. Or "____core" fans.
jimmypockets
6/18/08 1:03:54PM
I have listened to the Black Diamond Heavies. I like the lead singer but the music didn't rally catch my attention. Maybe I will give another album by them a try.
emfleek
6/18/08 1:14:40PM
The live show for the Heavies is where it's at. The first album, Every Damn Time, didn't really do anything for me until I saw them live.

I was blown away. After seeing a show, the album grew on me and now it's in constant rotation on my iTunes.

A Touch of Someone Else's Class is good, too.
loller90278
6/28/08 2:39:36PM
saw this thread a while back and have been listening to the black keys ever since :) plan on seeing them in august!

thanks for the tip guyssss
wreckedone
7/5/08 1:42:31AM
I saw this band play at a 500-600 person limit bar called The Dame in Lexington about 3-4 years ago and they did 3 encores. Talent aside, these dudes have a ******* huge ass ego. I was more impressed with one of the opening bands. They're called the Coachwhips. This group didn't even set up on the stage, they played on the floor and it was amazing. Check out there album Bangers vs. Fuckers.