Why is Lindland ranked #1 in the 185 division?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Why is Lindland ranked #1 in the 185 division?
POLL: #1 at 185
Matt Lindland 7% (4)
Anderson Silva 49% (29)
Dan Henderson 41% (24)
Paul Filho 3% (2)
Playground_Samurai
2/25/07 8:13:37PM
As most of us already know, mmaweekly has Lindland ranked #1 at 185. IMO, this ranking is rediculous and there is absolutely no justification. Correct me if i'm wrong, but to my knowledge Lindland has never fought and defeated a top 10 ranked opponent in ANY weight class. I agree he seems to be a great fighter, but how is there any way he could be justified as being a number one? IMO, he should have to fight and beat a couple top 5 fighters before we put him in that position.

You're thoughts? Any logical reasoning that i'm not aware of for his position?
jaba
2/25/07 10:00:48PM
for real, hes good,definitly top ten but not number 1. I think its clear that henderson is the number 1 middleweight then Filho then lindland.
Ydoc
2/25/07 10:33:20PM

Posted by gspfan
Correct me if i'm wrong, but to my knowledge Lindland has never fought and defeated a top 10 ranked opponent in ANY weight class.

Horn isn't in your top ten?
hippysmacker
2/25/07 10:36:04PM

Posted by Ydoc

Posted by gspfan
Correct me if i'm wrong, but to my knowledge Lindland has never fought and defeated a top 10 ranked opponent in ANY weight class.

Horn isn't in your top ten?

He also beat Baroni and Salaverry when they considered top 10 at the time
jocksmall
2/25/07 10:36:41PM

Posted by jaba

for real, hes good,definitly top ten but not number 1. I think its clear that henderson is the number 1 middleweight then Filho then lindland.

i agree my top five:
1 henderson
2 silva
3 lindland
4 filho
5 franklin
roadking95th
2/25/07 11:09:52PM
I have Hendo #1 and then Lindland #2, but that could just be my Greco bias
I should say Greco was the deciding factor to put Lindland over Silva, Franklin, or Filho.
Playground_Samurai
2/25/07 11:20:37PM
Horn, Salaverry, and Baroni would be the only exceptions I guess. But in reality, can we really say wins over these guys make you a top 10 fighter? Maybe top 10 but definatly not top 5.

He may very well be the best at 185 in the world, but he hasn't proved it. On paper, he really isn't that impressive. I just think it's rediculous that anybody could have him ranked at #1 when he hasn't fought and beaten and recent top ranked fighters.

I know I have a point I guess I just want to know that i'm not the only one who thinks his ranking is unjustified, and I can't believe a highly regarded source such as mmaweekly says it is.
ElGuapo31
2/26/07 1:52:54AM
after last night its insane to not have hendo at #1...the loss to misaki was a fluke...look what trigg (who imo is now top 10) did to him....to me it should be

1. hendo
2. filho
3. lindland
4. silva
5. kang
Menard_StC
2/26/07 9:08:32AM
I think he's top 3 for sure, but not 1. Right now i'd have to go

A. Silva
Hendo
Lindland
Filho
etc.

Thats just my personal opinion, i know not many rank Silva at the top.
Stickan
2/26/07 9:32:18AM
Why Hendo all of a sudden? That fight against Wandy wasn't even in the 185 division!??
WaikruMass
2/26/07 9:39:38AM

Posted by Stickan

Why Hendo all of a sudden? That fight against Wandy wasn't even in the 185 division!??

all that more impressive. he moved UP and took the belt from one of the best LHW in the world!
madmarck
2/26/07 10:12:09AM
Lindland is ranked #1 becuase he could beat some of the top guys. He has to prove it IMO though. He fights all over the place nowadays. I think he could beat Anderson and Rich. nad anyone else below Top 3. But i dont think he could get past Hendo, or Paulo.
Hell he would have a hell of a time getting past Franklin. Rich could Definitly KO him. After all David Terrel did.
SICKRICK
2/26/07 10:39:03AM
im sorry i must not be watching the same linland, i think he might be top 20 but no way top ten
Menard_StC
2/26/07 12:31:29PM

Posted by SICKRICK

im sorry i must not be watching the same linland, i think he might be top 20 but no way top ten

Youre right, you arent watching the same Lindland...
rc_kobra
8/6/07 12:46:25PM
I think he's overrated, because he has not beat any body in the past 4 years that was a top MW, the only one that comes close is Horn but other than that he's beat guy that are B level fighters. I'd say hes like #10 or some where around there.
DCRage
8/6/07 1:29:17PM
He's not #1 anymore. Anderson Silva is now #1 as of 7/25/07. Lindland is now ranked #2. I expected Lindland to fall down not too long ago partly because of his getting beaten by Fedor, but Silva's successful UFC MW Title defense sealed the deal.
jocksmall
8/7/07 5:45:55PM
lindland deserves top 5 but dan is the man hes number 1
cmill21
8/7/07 6:04:40PM
Anderson and hendo should fight to unite the titles after hendo and rampage are done. Oh and those are the 1 and 2 on my rankings.I think I have lindland at 3 or 4.