Lindland to fight Fedor.....

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Lindland to fight Fedor.....
Next Page »
Savy
1/18/07 4:08:59PM
This is fresh news folks. Lindland is set to ink a deal with boDog fight that will pit him against Fedor on the Pride champs home turf, St. Petersburg Russia, April 6.
I am a huge fan of The Law and support his ranking at the top of the middlewieght ranks.
I also think he could pose a serious threat to most top fighters under 205.
But to take on a 230 lb Fedor seems like suicide to me.
What do you guys think.......
thepitbull00
1/18/07 7:42:59PM
Linland has said he will come into the Fedor fight weighing 210 lbs. If he can bulk up and still retain his athleticism and skill then this might be a really good fight to watch.
Bosco
1/18/07 8:01:41PM
Gotta respect Lindland for putting it on the line with the best. Seems not being in the UFC has really worked out well for him.
n0xin
1/19/07 1:06:43AM
yeah respect to Lindland, but comon guys , Fedor has no match up out there today that seems real fair.

nate22
1/19/07 7:54:45AM
It's a shame Lindland has to go around fighting out of his natural weight simply because he doesn't get on with the UFC.

I'd much rather see him fighting at MW where he is top 3 and could prove himself to be number one.
cowcatcher
1/19/07 10:53:15AM
linland is just trying to keep his high MW ranking up by never fighting other MWs anymore, dont know if he'll be able to fight anyone again after this one is over, big balls,no brains
nate22
1/19/07 11:16:30AM
No, that is not true. Where exacltly could Lindland fight a top MW? Pride have shown no interest in him, the UFC do not seem to want him. He just recently beat Jeremy Horn, probably the best MW outside of the UFC or Pride.

It's not about balls or brains it's about getting paid and establishing himself as one of the best P4P fighters around.
nate22
1/19/07 11:17:15AM
Plus if you had any idea about Lindlands mental capacity you would find it is probably greater than mine and your's combined.
cowcatcher
1/19/07 11:21:15AM
it's definately about balls, he has a I'll fight anyone attitude, and that's definately to be respected, but he needs to find a way into pride or ufc for me to keep taking him seriously, Fedor is gonna have his way with him, and thats too bad, because I'd like to see him fighting at his natural weight, the guy was 167 in the olympics
nate22
1/19/07 11:46:39AM
How can he find the way into Pride or UFC exactly? Beating Horn, Fighting Jackson ( I do think he won that fight btw), fighting Fedor?

What you are saying doesn't make sense at all, you're saying he needs to find his way in? Fighting the best competition is surely the only way to get yourself in. That is exactly what he is doing so you should continue to take him seriously.

Remeber the UFC dropped his contract, I would much rather see him fight peopel such as Newton, Rampage, Horn, Van Arsdale, known fighters with good reputations to improve his stack, rather than resorting to WEC, KOTC, or even Cage Rage where due to his credentials he simply doesn't belong.
cowcatcher
1/19/07 12:15:46PM
many forums have him ranked #1 at MW, what I'm saying is he has to fight other MWs to hang on to that high esteem he's being held in. He's been fighting up in weight fairly often since being dumped by UFC which may just be due to age, and the difficulty cutting with that age, and if, thats a huge if, he were to beat fedor he'd definately get into one of the big shows. I just have a problem with him continually being the highest ranked MW when he seems to wanna pull a BJ and keep hopping classes. Don't get me wrong here, with the exception of the Terrell fight he has been great, and he's a top notch MW, but continually moving up lessens his hold as THE MW in MMA and that bothers me.
nate22
1/19/07 12:29:55PM
The Terrell fight well, he got caught simply as that, alot of people argue 9/10 that wouldn't happen again, but meh, he lost fair and square, that was a greta KO victory for Dave.

You are entirely missing the point.

WHERE ARE THE MW'S FOR LINDLAND TO FIGHT???

ok, with me...?

UFC AND PRIDE

UFC dropped his contract
Pride not interested

=

NO MW's to fight, the only MW with any credentials who I can think of off the top of my head is Horn, who he beat, convincingly.
cowcatcher
1/19/07 1:04:18PM
if the guy was the clear cut #1 the big boys would be climbing over each other to get him, I think he's good but he has to keep working as MW to hang on to it, that's my entire point. I understand your point about no one being out there, but it's on him and his management to get into the big shows. there's no doubt all this up fighting will bring him lots of respect, but losing to bigger guys doesn't cement you as a top guy in your own weight class IMO.

p.s.Amar Suloev, a bodog guy ranked in top 10 by more than a few
punisherind
1/19/07 3:07:32PM
id much rather see fedor fight jeff monson. in either case, fedor is going to win, but at least he wont manhandle monson the way he will lindland. gotta give lindland major props for considering this matchup, but seriouslly, he has no shot.

how about lindland vs. frank shamrock???
Savy
1/19/07 3:27:30PM

Posted by punisherind

id much rather see fedor fight jeff monson. in either case, fedor is going to win, but at least he wont manhandle monson the way he will lindland. gotta give lindland major props for considering this matchup, but seriouslly, he has no shot.

I agree, neither Lindland nor Monson stand a chance at all. But you're giving Monson too much credit here. They guy has ZERO striking ability.
lindland v shamrock....
Now THAT is an interesting fight.
nate22
1/19/07 7:57:58PM

Posted by punisherind

I'd love to see tat fight, Frank however seems to be ducking or reluctant to take on top competitors, he would regain alot of my respect if he took on that match up.
aceprone
1/20/07 3:03:10AM
Lindland and Frank Shamrock is a great match up, but like you said, I think Frank is afraid to ruin his rep, but at the same time he is ruining his rep to fight fighters who aren't that established. But with Lindland fighting Fedor, I think it's suicide. No matter how much he is going to weight for the fight, he will not have the strength to over come Fedor. Matt Lindland had a hard time with Rampage with securing submissions, there's no way he's going to be able to pull one on Fedor. Mark Coleman a Gold Medalist Wrestler can't even take down Fedor! Matt LIndlands got balls, but so did the Crocodile Hunter and see where that got him (NO disrespect to Steve Irwin, just trying to make a point)? I don't even think if that fight was in the US it would be sanctioned by a comission.
punisherind
1/20/07 9:32:58AM

Posted by aceprone

Matt LIndlands got balls, but so did the Crocodile Hunter and see where that got him.

haHHAHAH THATS COLD ACEPRONE!! but it was funny and makes your point crystal clear!
Savy
1/20/07 2:54:32PM
they would never sanction that fight here.
--Hinch--
1/25/07 8:03:45AM
I'm not going to be so quick to write off Lindland.

he is the exact style people summarize would be best to topple Fedor.

The problem is obviously his weight. He aims to come in at 210, so he'll still be at a large disadvantage. A greco-Roman silver medal will always be leagues above a combat sambo championship, or national level judo skills though.

Fedor will have to rely on power over technique when clinching, as Lindland is the much better here.

All this said, while I believe Lindland can put Fedor i some interesting predicaments, he cannot stop the eventual submission forever.

Huge props to woogie though.
allevil86
1/26/07 2:06:02PM
Theres not much of a chance for lindland in this one but any one can get caught. I'm going with fedor by what ever he wants.
Savy
1/26/07 6:33:36PM
If I had a farm, i'd bet it on Fedor. I'm a big Lindland fan, I'd give him a chance against ANY fighter in ANY weightclass; except Fedor.
SICKRICK
1/27/07 7:15:16AM
i think linland is the most and i mean most overratted fighter on the planet and fedor would kill him i mean kill him, so would frank shamrock and any leprechan's out there to.. lol.. linland is not in the ufc cause he cant fight
chiefwiggum
1/27/07 6:03:21PM
Good post slickrick Fedor, Big Nog, Hunt, Mark Coleman, Gomi, Wanderlei, Barnett, Henderson (the list could go on for pages) are all terrible fighters because they don’t fight in the UFC. With that being said I want to see Fedor vs. Linland about as bad as I want to see Kimbo Slice vs. Cro Cop.
the-james
1/29/07 11:05:14PM
Its going to be a masacre but got to admit lindland has some balls!
aceprone
1/30/07 3:23:36AM
you should read my post about having balls on the top of the page.
hippysmacker
1/30/07 4:13:34AM

Posted by --Hinch--

I'm not going to be so quick to write off Lindland.

he is the exact style people summarize would be best to topple Fedor.

The problem is obviously his weight. He aims to come in at 210, so he'll still be at a large disadvantage. A greco-Roman silver medal will always be leagues above a combat sambo championship, or national level judo skills though.

Fedor will have to rely on power over technique when clinching, as Lindland is the much better here.

All this said, while I believe Lindland can put Fedor i some interesting predicaments, he cannot stop the eventual submission forever.

Huge props to woogie though.

I disagree with Super wrestler will be leagues above a super Sambo guy.Combat Sambo combines wrestling, Judo, Striking , and subs. As aceprone mentioned, Coleman couldn't beat him and he's a lot bigger and stronger.I dig Lindland and still think he's the #1 or 2 middleweight in the world, but I think he won't survive the 2nd round at best.
mrsumo
1/30/07 4:44:31AM
I think Lindland has as good a shot at winning as anyone else. Sure he is stepping up in weight but he has strength and a world of experience behind him. I can't wait to see what happens.
thelastking
1/30/07 7:13:17PM
Lindland in not big enough or well rounded enough to beat fedor but it should be interesting to see how well lindland does
madmarck
2/5/07 10:59:52PM

Posted by nate22

Plus if you had any idea about Lindlands mental capacity you would find it is probably greater than mine and your's combined.

He does have a oddly shapped head.
But no matter what you think the outcome of this fight you have got to give the guy credit. He is fighting Fedor in Russia. So the chances of him winning a Descision are very slim. I heard Cro Cop Turned down this fight on that sole fact (myth)
Lindland has got Balls guys.
Anyone who says he is trying to stay a top MW by fighting out of his weightclass is wrong. Look who he is fighting. Horn (amazing fihgter) Van Arsdale,(amazing wrestler), Quintion Jackson (amazing fighter), and now Fedor. The most Revered fighter in the world.

Yes i bet he is scared of a MW fighter you Fools that is why he is gonna fight Fedor. Thats like saying BJ Penn is scared of Jens Pulver so he is gonnna go fight Liddel.
Pages: [1] 2