Should Lindland be in the UFC?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Should Lindland be in the UFC?
pinoymixplaya
10/29/07 8:37:31AM
The UFC says that it has the best fighters in the world, but their middleweight division is lacking that. Lindland is one of the best middleweight fighters hands down, some consider him top ten material, so naturally he should be in the UFC, right? If Dana White can tolerate signing Tito Ortiz again, I am sure he can tolerate anyone. Plus I believe that Lindland, other than Henderson although he doesn't want to drop to 185, is the only middleweight out there that can beat Silva. Or else Silva will be holding that belt for a veeeeeeeeery long time. I think Silva is a phenomenal fighter, one of my favorites, but I love competition more than a single fighter, it keeps things interesting, what do you guys think?
ohiostate1016
10/29/07 9:12:14AM
Well, I'm not sure if Lindland could beat Silva, but I'd like to see him try. The thing is, there are just so many guys being signed to the UFC right now that some are gonna be overlooked. Unfortunately, Lindland is being overlooked.

I don't know the details. Maybe Dana thinks Lindland is being a hard a**, and he'd rather sign guys who are easier to sign (Rampage, Cro Cop, Hondo) than having to deal with Lindland. Maybe Lindland doesn't want to come to the UFC. I don't know. Until I get some details, I think I'll have to remain on the fence on this topic.
postman
10/29/07 10:26:32AM
There is a fude between Dana and Matt over a shirt Matt wore before a fight thats why he is not in the UFC pretyy stupid Huh? No of late I have been thinking IMO Dana wants Dan to stay at 205 and dosn't want Kang or Filo or Lindlind so that he can at leats have on guy hold the belt for a long time he likes that. We haven't really had it happen but if every other defense of the title guys were losing it I think it may be bad of business. It would make it harder for new fans to pick a fav fighter. Kinda like with Boxing there being too many belts.
grappler0000
10/29/07 10:26:59AM
I would personally love to see it happen, but not sure that it will. I know Lindland was recently expressing interest in returning to the Octagon, but I don't see the UFC welcoming him back...unless of coarse Hendo refuses to drop to 185. I don't think they see Lindland as being very marketable (or hygienic :wink ) , so I don't see it happening unless they are desperate to give Silva some competition...which right now heavily relies on what Hendo wants to do.
cmill21
10/29/07 10:38:39AM
I think Lindland would give Silva a good run, he's a very good wrestler, and that is the only thing that would give silva problems, besides a better striker and right now you'd be hard pressed to find one at 185.
pv3Hpv3p
10/29/07 11:45:06AM

Posted by cmill21

I think Lindland would give Silva a good run, he's a very good wrestler, and that is the only thing that would give silva problems, besides a better striker and right now you'd be hard pressed to find one at 185.

IMO, you'd be hard pressed to find one in any weight div
nubby
10/29/07 11:57:43AM
A lot of people thought Kang could possibly outstrike silva. With his latest performance, don't know if that would be possible. It's going to take someone with a chin made of titanium to get passed Silva.
Aaronno9
10/29/07 12:18:16PM
I think matts starting to realise that time is not on his side anymore and his career is passing him by becouse of a petty fued with the ufc. I think he probably wants to come back to the ufc were he can pick up some of the recognition that he deserves. Wether dana will have him back, well thats a whole differant story, but the way things have been going latley id say its a pretty slim chance.
grappler0000
10/29/07 12:18:42PM

Posted by nubby

A lot of people thought Kang could possibly outstrike silva. With his latest performance, don't know if that would be possible. It's going to take someone with a chin made of titanium to get passed Silva.

That's the beauty of a Henderson matchup...he's got a solid chin and should be able to take Silva down without too much of a hassle...I just hope Hendo drops, because as much as I enjoy a good knockout, I'd rather see a good matchup than Silva running through some mediocre talent.
Hurricane_Brad
10/29/07 1:28:54PM
I think that Lindland should definitely be in the UFC. The UFC is short of middleweight contenders, and I think Lindland would make a great fit.
tepid55
10/29/07 1:34:16PM
Lindland should be in the UFC. He would own the middleweight division.
nickcuc547
10/29/07 4:53:42PM
ufc needs lindland more than lindland needs ufc imo, lindland is the only middleweight threat to silva if henderson stays at 205, they need to bring him in. lindland vs. sliva would be a huge fight and a war between two contrasting styles featuring two guys who are the best at their style. if you ask me tho silva takes it by ko, lindland cant lay and pray for five rounds.
MartinKillMcGill
10/29/07 5:27:53PM

Posted by nickcuc547

ufc needs lindland more than lindland needs ufc imo, lindland is the only middleweight threat to silva if henderson stays at 205, they need to bring him in. lindland vs. sliva would be a huge fight and a war between two contrasting styles featuring two guys who are the best at their style. if you ask me tho silva takes it by ko, lindland cant lay and pray for five rounds.

the ufc needs a big name midlewieght to fight silva he is dominating the divison and lindlands style could realy test silva's cardio
tap_or_snap
10/29/07 6:05:20PM
Without a doubt Matt Lindland should be in the ufc, getting their with dana at the helm though will be difficult.

The only way i can see it even possible for lindland to come back to the ufc is if silva whoops hendos ass, im preety certain dana thinks he has his man in hendo to take the title from of silva (despite his awesome skills as a fighter having a non english speaking champ is somthing dana definetly doesnt like).
chickmagnet
10/29/07 7:24:25PM
Lindlands chin has been tested before(Dave Terrell)
I would see Anderson winning by a highlight reel KO
loller90278
10/29/07 7:46:36PM
heres what i see happening --
m1 picks up lindland...

chonan loses to karo in a UD.
chonan moves up in weight class to have the rematch with silva. (and loses)
cmill21
10/29/07 7:56:33PM
Yeah Lindland won't sign an exclusive contract(he's still contracted to bodog for two more) so I see him in K-1, or M-1.
jocksmall
10/29/07 8:54:55PM
yes he should but the ufc wanting exclusive rights to a fighter will prevent this and if they wont make an exception for fedor theres little chance they will for matt. matt could beat anderson he is an animal in the clinch and i believe he is stronger. his wrestling is awesome. i would love to see if he could avoid the superior striking of anderson and impose his will.
pinoymixplaya
10/29/07 10:51:56PM
I think he will be the best competition right now for Silva seeing as how Henderson isn't at 205. We should start a petition to get Dana White to see that we want Lindland...lol
themmadigest
10/30/07 1:26:28AM
He definitely should be there and was told that he would be getting a title shot back in the day. Lindland told mmaweekly that he wants to fight for the organization but just cannot come to agreeable terms with them:

“I would love to get back in there. If they want to deal like professional businessmen, I would love to work with them.”

“I just want to do it professionally and put everything into a contract because this is a business, and it’s my profession, and it’s how I do business. It’s truth and verify. You can say what you want, but if you can’t verify it with a contract than it means nothing.”

“I’ve fought good guys, and I’ve never tried to not do that. I just, I don’t want to get stuck in one of those long-term, low-paying contracts to do it. I just don’t think that’s a wise business decision.”

“I would love to come fight for that organization. They’ve got a lot of good talent. They put on a good show. They’ve got a great product. They understand how to market this sport. They understand how to promote. They’ve got a lot of good things going on for them, but they’re inflexible. It’s either our way or beat it.”
nubby
10/30/07 1:31:22AM

Posted by themmadigest

He definitely should be there and was told that he would be getting a title shot back in the day. Lindland told mmaweekly that he wants to fight for the organization but just cannot come to agreeable terms with them:

“I would love to get back in there. If they want to deal like professional businessmen, I would love to work with them.”

“I just want to do it professionally and put everything into a contract because this is a business, and it’s my profession, and it’s how I do business. It’s truth and verify. You can say what you want, but if you can’t verify it with a contract than it means nothing.”

“I’ve fought good guys, and I’ve never tried to not do that. I just, I don’t want to get stuck in one of those long-term, low-paying contracts to do it. I just don’t think that’s a wise business decision.”

“I would love to come fight for that organization. They’ve got a lot of good talent. They put on a good show. They’ve got a great product. They understand how to market this sport. They understand how to promote. They’ve got a lot of good things going on for them, but they’re inflexible. It’s either our way or beat it.”

Which makes me think they won't go out of their way to pick up Lindland. I think that he is a very good fighter but I really don't think that he would be able to put up a better fight against Silva than Rich did.
juanez13
10/30/07 8:46:55AM
yes i think he is very talented and should be in the ufc, im not saying he woul beat silva, but would have a better chance than most..

if silva beats hendo, i dont see anyone stopping him anytime soon
tap_or_snap
10/31/07 3:07:43PM

Posted by nubby
I think that he is a very good fighter but I really don't think that he would be able to put up a better fight against Silva than Rich did.

Sorry bro but thats just silly, of course matt would give anderson a better fight than rich did!

Both rich and andersons main strength is their striking, anderson just happens to be considerable better at striking than rich is.

Until franklin admits to himself silva is the better striker and looks for another way to win he will never beat anderson silva.

Matt lindland on the other hand has strengths in completely different areas to anderson, matts strengths are his greco and his ground and pound where as silvas are his striking and his jiu jitsu, matt would try to take the fight to silva by taking him down and punching him in the head, somthing silvas going to have a lot more trouble with than a guy like franklin who is prepaired to stand in front of him and trade.

Silva wouldnt have an easy time getting success with the thai clinch on lindland either (the guys a friggin greco silver medalist!) so thats a big strength of silvas negated.

This fight is a clash of styles, even more so than silva vs hendo, hendos love of his right hand may well get him ktfo by silva where as lindland would have no interest in standing with anderson.

This fight ends one of four ways; in silvas favour a spectacular knockout on the feet or a submission from his back and in matts a tko from the top on the ground or a decision from controlling anderson for the majority of the fight.