it is very likely Wandy and Shogun will make it to the top of the LHW division....will they fight?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » it is very likely Wandy and Shogun will make it to the top of the LHW division....will they fight?
ufc88
8/20/07 3:08:13PM
Wandy and Shogun are good friends and trained together for a while at Chute Box. They're both expected to make it to the top of the food chain in the LHW division. will they have to fight?
Jackelope
8/20/07 3:13:23PM
As long as Wandy sticks around for a while without retiring I don't see why they won't have to one day in the future
cowcatcher
8/20/07 3:39:54PM
everything ive always heard tells me this wont happen, and even if it does its probably down the road a ways so it may not be wandy at his best. id love to see it though.
The_Grim_Reaper
8/20/07 3:48:50PM
possibly assuming the winner of hendo vs rampage fight Shogun assuming he beats Forest then if a december fight with Wandy and Liddell happened the winner of that assuming Wandy would fight the winner of the the Shogun vs Rampage / Hendo fight assuming its Shogun then i would say they would def. fight but this is jus how i see things going, but i think its inevitable that they would be pitted up against each unless they both agree not to fight each other
Twenty20Dollars
8/20/07 3:51:51PM
I only see them fighting if it was for the title.
fullerene
8/20/07 3:53:11PM
IDK, Wandy has racked up some miles in his MMA career and after the fight with Chuck, he has big $$ rematches with Tito, Henderson and Rampage that could be made. I think he takes a couple of those and then retires.

They said they would fight in the Pride MW Grand Prix so I guess if the UFC said the fight had to be made, they would do it.
AmericanFighterAce
8/20/07 5:49:51PM
Wanderlei has to get passed Chuck and I dunno how confident I feel about that. Wanderlei in the past two years has a record of 2-3.

Liddell is a great striker, same with Wanderlei, but if Wanderlei wins and Shogun wins the belt, would it really be that good of a fight if both of these guys fought each other?

Think about it, they would give each other so much respect I dunno how good it would be, I think it would possibly be a Kos/Sanchez style of matchup because they dont want to hurt each other.
fedorwins1
8/20/07 5:55:58PM
No, there's an interview on sherdog you can find where he says he would never fight shogun no matter how much money there was to be made.
Blizzard
8/20/07 6:29:17PM
I don't see it happening, Wanderlei was Pride LHW champ for years and Shogun beat everybody else in Pride LHW div. and they still did not fight for the title. I think it came close during the Middle weight Grand Prix.
jomatty
8/20/07 9:02:17PM
wandy has said it was shoguns time and that he would not fight him or stand in teh way of him winning the belt but part of me wonders if him coming to train with couture doesnt have anything to do with distancing himself, and wanting to fight shogun.

if he does fight shogun when shogun is champ i will personally lose respect for him. i know most people would gain respect for him but shogun was his biggest threat and he hung back so if wandy didnt do the same it would dissapoint me.
sakurabaforever
8/20/07 9:04:36PM

Posted by fedorwins1

No, there's an interview on sherdog you can find where he says he would never fight shogun no matter how much money there was to be made.

Wasn't there also an interview where Wandy said if they were ever matched up it would be a work? I remember this, but don't remember from where or when.
Wanderlei
9/2/07 8:10:20PM
I don't really know tbh, Personally I wouldnt like to see it. However with Wanderlei moving to the USA for a better life for his family and Shogun staying in Brazil it is possible and I wouldnt lose any respect for Wanderlei as shogun didnt fight him because they were teammates and now if they had to fight they wouldn't be teammates anymore. Plus Shogun would win anyway and its a great name to have on his record so everyone wins.

I agree also that it would be a boring fight with too much respect, I don't think it would be quite as bad as Koshcheck/Sanchez because atleast Wanderlei and Rua would be in their element whereas diego and josh werent.
cmill21
9/2/07 8:17:49PM
I don't think they would to be honest.
skinnyb
9/2/07 9:00:15PM
i dont see it happening unless it is for the title and wandy still has a lot of fight left in em to those of u thinkin hell retire soon.
gamez0932
9/3/07 6:16:26PM
I dont think they will at first but eventually i think they will end up throwing down to see who's the best,
TOMMYAYO05
9/7/07 12:52:29AM
I see this just like i see the Rampage-Tito situation i think if they throw the right price down then they will throw down but if not dont count on it.
chris91301
9/7/07 4:13:58AM

Posted by ufc88

Wandy and Shogun are good friends and trained together for a while at Chute Box. They're both expected to make it to the top of the food chain in the LHW division. will they have to fight?

they wont fight each other, just like alex and fedor dont fight each other professionally other then for fun in local tourneys.