Lightweight Division Shakeup

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Lightweight Division Shakeup
nickcuc547
7/21/08 3:35:01PM
After Dream 5 the lightweight rankings were thrown for a loop. after beating hansen and kawajiri, alvarez needs to be in the mix, and so does hansen for that matter.

My top 10

1. BJ
2. Gomi
3. Sakurai
4. Sherk
5. Alvarez
6. Aoki
7. Calvacante
8. Kawajiri
9. Diaz
10. Hansen

Next 10 (All of whom could be listed in the top 10)

11. Melendez
12. Ishida
13. Josh Thompson
14. Stevenson
15. Florian
16. Huerta
17. Guida
18. Tyson Griffin
19. Nate Diaz
20. Rich Clementi

and i'm not even including edgar, franca, danzig, lauzon, azeredo, ribiero etc.. this division is so stacked and even it's not even right
joshryanshepherd
7/21/08 3:41:43PM

Posted by nickcuc547

After Dream 5 the lightweight rankings were thrown for a loop. after beating hansen and kawajiri, alvarez needs to be in the mix, and so does hansen for that matter.

My top 10

1. BJ
2. Gomi
3. Sakurai
4. Sherk
5. Alvarez
6. Aoki
7. Calvacante
8. Kawajiri
9. Diaz
10. Hansen

Next 10 (All of whom could be listed in the top 10)

11. Melendez
12. Ishida
13. Josh Thompson
14. Stevenson
15. Florian
16. Huerta
17. Guida
18. Tyson Griffin
19. Nate Diaz
20. Rich Clementi

and i'm not even including edgar, franca, danzig, lauzon, azeredo, ribiero etc.. this division is so stacked and even it's not even right

Why No Gray Maynard? or Frankie?
nickcuc547
7/21/08 3:44:14PM
i forgot about grey, he belongs in the discussion too. i think grey and edgar are both bordering on the top 20 but that's just me. my point was that this division is so stacked that there are about 30 guys that you can make a legit argument for in the top 10.

i also could have mentioned thiago tavares, wiman, manny, the possibilities are endless.
CantAndleDaRiddum
7/21/08 3:54:26PM
alvarez is def in discussion for top 5

i was really hoping i'd get to see him vs aoki
DCRage
7/21/08 5:17:01PM
First up, I'd drop Mach altogether because it seems he's going to be fighting at Welterweight now (at least for his next fight, against Nick Diaz at DREAM 6 for their WW title). I'd otherwise leave BJ & Gomi there, move Sherk up to 3, then have Hansen at 4 then probably Aoki at 5.
JackHammerXXX
7/21/08 5:35:57PM
The lightweight division is the most diverse, and stacked one of them all. I'm the least critical of my top 10 of them all so...
1.B.J.
2.Gomi
3.Hansen
4.Aoki
5.Sherk
6.JZ
7.Florian
8.Nick Diaz
9.Melendez
10.Huerta
Obviously you could say Alvarez should be there, esp. if Hansen is.But Eddie's competition isn't/hasn't always been this high. Give him the rematch with Hansen then, he'll be top 10 for sure, if he wins.Josh Thomson, kinda the same. He got the unan. against Gilbert so he right on the edge too. Lot of guys can be gone in a matter of months. This is almost a top 20 division...
jiujitsufreak74
7/21/08 5:53:41PM
i don't rank Sakurai as a LW since technically he isn't one.

here are my rankings:

1) BJ Penn

2) Gomi...unfortunately i have to rank him this high...

3) Alvarez...have to after his performances in the tournament. plus i think he would have defeated Aoki

4) Aoki...still top 5 imo, yes i am a nuthugger, but i would still pick him in a rubber match with Hell Boy.

5) JZ...top 5 talent without a doubt. once he gets healthy he will start to rack up the wins and show it

6) Kawajiri

7) Sherk

8) Hell Boy

9) Tyson

10) Ishida
paddy260
7/21/08 7:12:57PM
ufc needs to get one more weightclass below the lightweights so maybe it will even out
Mchubb316
7/21/08 7:38:01PM
What a great night for the LW world ranking. There was a lot of movement. Personally I think Eddie Alvarez will be top10 if not top 5 for a while. He is very impressive. Hellboy looked good against Aoki, he avoided the sub, and worked his way into position and dominated. He will stay in the top 10 for a long time as well, and I do think he is top 5. Beating the #3 LW in the world like he did, deserves top 5 ranking. Great weekend for MMA all around.