MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Lightweight Division
POLL: Who deserves next title shot?
Clay Guida 25% (5)
Ben Henderson 20% (4)
Melvin Guillard 50% (10)
Someone Else 5% (1)
TOMMYAYO05
8/16/11 4:09:05PM
The lightweight division seems to be up for the taking right now.Guida,Melvin and now Henderson are all making strong statements to get the title shot.Who deserves it? and who can dethrone either maynard or edgar??
prophecy033
8/16/11 4:25:29PM
Any of the three have a chance. Guida is always dangerous for the simple fact that he has cardio and energy for days. After what Henderson did to Miller, its evident he can hang with both Edgar and maynard. Melvin has power and an improved all around game. He may have more of a problem with maynard then the other two but once again, he has POWER. You can't sleep on that
Theoutlaw08
8/16/11 5:05:02PM
The division is stacked, there is no doubting that. The only guy right now that I think deserves it is Guillard. He's got five in a row, he finishes fights, and I think he's the biggest threat to Frankie and Grey because of his quickness and striking ability.
tn_rebel
8/16/11 5:40:22PM
Henderson needs to win another to get a shot. The other 2 both deserve a shot. I would love to see my boy Guida get a chance.
FastKnockout
8/16/11 5:44:56PM
I didn't vote on the poll, because I think Guida and Guillard need a title eliminator. If not, then you can't go wrong with either of them.
TOMMYAYO05
8/16/11 5:53:27PM
problem is Guida and Guillard wont fight each other.I would really like to see henderson vs guida...I know Lauzon isnt really a title contender but if Guillard beats him he def deserves a crack at the title
prophecy033
8/16/11 6:15:07PM

Posted by tn_rebel

Henderson needs to win another to get a shot. The other 2 both deserve a shot. I would love to see my boy Guida get a chance.

where you been, haven't seen you on the pg in a few days?
Rabi
8/16/11 6:33:54PM
Also, with what is going on in the MMA world you cant discount the possibilities of Gilbert Melendez getting a shot soon.
hashyandy4
8/16/11 7:54:53PM

Posted by FastKnockout

I didn't vote on the poll, because I think Guida and Guillard need a title eliminator. If not, then you can't go wrong with either of them.

Same Here
Chael_Sonnen
8/16/11 8:12:05PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Ding Ding Ding

We have a winner
tn_rebel
8/16/11 11:33:03PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by tn_rebel

Miss me?
Cooler
8/16/11 11:52:40PM
In order of most deserving

1) Ben Henderson
2) Gilbert Melendez
3) Melvin Guillard
4) Clay Guida

Make Bendo vs Guida for #1 spot, Melendez beats Masvidal and gets immediate title shot... and Lauzon vs Guillard is very competitive to me, Lauzon is the kind of guy that Melvin gets submitted by.
prophecy033
8/16/11 11:57:52PM

Posted by tn_rebel

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by tn_rebel

Miss me?

hahaha just wondering
KungFuMaster
8/17/11 12:35:56AM
Guillard has been overlooked in the ufc. I feel he should have received a title fight already.

But as of right now, Guida and Guillard are the two most deserving of a title shot IMO.
pmoney
8/20/11 3:42:18PM

Posted by TOMMYAYO05

problem is Guida and Guillard wont fight each other.

I can almost guarantee you that they would, and probably will fight. They are both down for whatever. This isn't Jones-Evans here. I am pretty sure I saw an interview with either Guida or Guillard and one of them said they would fight.
KungFuMaster
8/20/11 3:54:34PM
When the championship or the number one contender spot is on the line, I feel as a fighter you need to fight whoever is placed in front of you. In all other scenarios, I would agree completely with fighters not wanting to fight each other due to friendships, relations, and or loyalty.
Cooler
8/20/11 10:20:51PM
I think I can make a pretty good case for Bendo being the #1 contender right now. And though Guillard could be the best lightweight in the world since going to Greg Jackson I still have serious doubts about his submission defense. Let's look at who they've fought lately.

Guillard: 5-0 after blowing it against Nate Diaz, 1 top 10 win in that span, two decisions that couldve gone to Stephens and Tibau. And he's fighting Lauzon next, exactly the kind of fighter he taps to.

Guida: 4-0 since losing two straight in 2009 where people wondered if a third loss would get him cut, 1 top 10 win in that span, won via injury to Dos Anjos in a fight we was losing. Also has an issue with getting caught in subs and being lazy on top.

Bendo: 2-0 since losing to Pettis who would probably beat Guillard and Guida in a rematch imo, 1 top 10 win in that span. Beat Cerrone twice who I also think would beat both Guillard and Guida. He beat Mark Bocek who shouldve gotten the decision to Jim Miller.
Kpro
8/21/11 2:59:21AM
wow over 50% taking Guillard in a 3 option poll?

I just don't see it; he doesn't even have a top 5 win. Ever.

I wouldn't even put him top contender at 155 in the UFC in Jackson's camp.

Guida vs. Benson for next shot sounds about right.

Let Guillard prove his might over Jim Miller.
Adrenaline
8/21/11 3:51:17AM

Posted by Kpro

wow over 50% taking Guillard in a 3 option poll?

I just don't see it; he doesn't even have a top 5 win. Ever.

I wouldn't even put him top contender at 155 in the UFC in Jackson's camp.

Guida vs. Benson for next shot sounds about right.

Let Guillard prove his might over Jim Miller.

Couldn't agree more.

I will admit that Guillard has looked good lately but against who? His signature win at this point is against a very solid but ultimately over hyped Evan Duhham then toss in a couple of guys that were obviously over matched (Waylon Lowe and Ronys Torres) and a couple of close split decisions that just happened to go in his favor and I can't really see how he deserves a title shot right now. Don't get me wrong, he looks great and those are all solid guys but Kpro nailed it, not one win against anyone in the top 5...ever.

The only reason we are having this conversation is because Guida beat Pettis in less than exciting fashion ( I thought it was great fight) Guida and Guillard are on similar streaks against similar competition but the difference is that Guida beat the number one contender at the time, that alone should have given him the shot. f(possibly after Miller if he would have won)But as much as I love Guida, a fight with Bendo makes sense now, Henderson looked like an animal against Miller and Guida needs to make the statement he should have made against Pettis. This fight needs to happen because there is no way that you could deny the winner a title shot.

Guillard/Miller is a great idea. I just don't have much confidence in Guillard against a solid wrestler with great subs who is not dumb enough to sit in front of those bombs Guillard throws.