Lightweight Debate

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Lightweight Debate
POLL: Who should get the next Lightweight title shot?
Melvin Guillard 31% (11)
Benson Henderson 40% (14)
Clay Guida 29% (10)
BeefightStorm
9/12/11 2:18:25PM
We all know the UFC Lightweight division is stacked, & there seems to be some debate out there that I have heard on a variety of podcasts [mmajunkie, rearnakdchoke radio, etc.] over who should be up for the next title shot.
I recently wrote a blog discussing why I think that Guillard should be that fighter:

Though it seems that Guida & Henderson were fan favorites, we have to remember that Guillard is destroying the competition, almost a la Anderson Silva, where he is proving to be too much for his competitors. Specifically, his last 3 opponents Roller, Dunham, & Stephens are all 3 tough competitors, who 2 out of 3, Roller & Dunham were making their way up, until Guillard stopped that. Though many may see Guida & Henderson in the top 10, this division is stacked, & though I have them right outside the top 10 after Dennis Siver [11. Henderson & 12. Guida]. I have Guillard at #6 above Miller & Masvidal. Miller may have lost to Henderson, but Miller is still a top lightweight who I dropped from #3 to #7, & will make his way back. A matchup between Guida & Henderson however would be great to elevate one of the two in the top 10, but for now, I feel that Guillard will get past Lauzon & move up again to be the next contender. Guillard/Edgar or Guillard/Maynard, either sounds solid.

Picture added from UFC.com
FastKnockout
9/12/11 2:29:27PM
For me, it's always quality over quantity when it comes down who deserves the title shot. If I had it my way, Guillard and Henderson would fight for the right to be the number one contender. Guillard is destroying guys, but he's only facing middle of the pack opponents in the division, such as Dunham and Stephens. While on the other hand, Henderson hasn't fought as many opponents but he destroyed Jim Miller, who I had ranked #3 in the division only after Edgar and Maynard. These two should fight for number one contender status.
BeefightStorm
9/12/11 2:35:58PM
FastKnockout that's a good argument, especially since Henderson did destroy Miller, who until he got beat I had at #3, but had to drop to #7 after that beatdown, tough I still think he's legit.
Henderson/Guillard that sounds good, but I still think Guida has some work to do.
Twenty20Dollars
9/12/11 3:03:15PM
Benson, b/c he beat the no.1 contender, I believe in Jim Miller.

Then Guillard, then Guida.

Guillards fights:
Win Shane Roller KO (Punches)
Win Evan Dunham TKO (Knees)
Win Jeremy Stephens Decision (Split)
Win Waylon Lowe KO (Knee to the Body)
Win Ronys Torres Decision (Unanimous)
Loss Nate Diaz Submission (Guillotine Choke)
Win Gleison Tibau Decision (Split)
Win Dennis Siver TKO

I had Guillard losing to Tibau and possibly even Stephens. Maybe the most wins and finishes, but not the stiffest comp.

Guida
Win Anthony Pettis Decision (Unanimous)
Win Takanori Gomi Submission (Guillotine Choke)
Win Rafael dos Anjos Submission (Jaw Injury)
Win Shannon Gugerty Submission

Has gotten some finishes and beat the WEC champ who was in line for a shot.

Henderson
Win Jim Miller Decision (Unanimous)
Win Mark Bocek Decision (Unanimous)
Loss Anthony Pettis Decision (Unanimous)

Before the loss to Pettis, had won 10 straight. Beat Bocek who had a couple wins and beat Miller, who was seen as possible no.1 contender.

So we got Maynard/Edgar in their 3rd fight, then probably winner of Guida/Henderson fighting for the title. Then Guillard after that if he beats Lauzon.
jjeans
9/12/11 4:22:48PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Benson, b/c he beat the no.1 contender, I believe in Jim Miller.

Then Guillard, then Guida.

Guillards fights:
Win Shane Roller KO (Punches)
Win Evan Dunham TKO (Knees)
Win Jeremy Stephens Decision (Split)
Win Waylon Lowe KO (Knee to the Body)
Win Ronys Torres Decision (Unanimous)
Loss Nate Diaz Submission (Guillotine Choke)
Win Gleison Tibau Decision (Split)
Win Dennis Siver TKO

I had Guillard losing to Tibau and possibly even Stephens. Maybe the most wins and finishes, but not the stiffest comp.

Guida
Win Anthony Pettis Decision (Unanimous)
Win Takanori Gomi Submission (Guillotine Choke)
Win Rafael dos Anjos Submission (Jaw Injury)
Win Shannon Gugerty Submission

Has gotten some finishes and beat the WEC champ who was in line for a shot.

Henderson
Win Jim Miller Decision (Unanimous)
Win Mark Bocek Decision (Unanimous)
Loss Anthony Pettis Decision (Unanimous)

Before the loss to Pettis, had won 10 straight. Beat Bocek who had a couple wins and beat Miller, who was seen as possible no.1 contender.

So we got Maynard/Edgar in their 3rd fight, then probably winner of Guida/Henderson fighting for the title. Then Guillard after that if he beats Lauzon.

This is one of the best analysis' I have seen on the playground. Admitedly Sherk, Siver, Cerrone and more have all got cases but right now all these 3 (and the order) But right now this order is IMO correct.
tn_rebel
9/12/11 4:25:26PM
Henderson is only on a 2 fight winning streak (to me thats not enough to earn a shot), not to mention, the last fight he lost was to Pettis (the guy Guida just beat). Melvin is on a 5 fight win streak but has only fought mid to lower level of competition in the division. If any of them gets a immediate title shot it should be Guida. Guida v. Guillard would be good #1 contender fight. In my opinion, Henderson needs another win before he gets a #1 contender fight.
tmas
9/12/11 5:31:40PM
The issue is.

Henderson lost to Pettis who Guida beat, the only reason were talking about Henderson is he beat Jim miller the #1 contender and dominated him.

To me that makes you the #1 contender just as if you beat the champ you the champ.

SOOOO..

Henderson #1 contender
Guida #2 based on who he has fought being tougher
Guillard #3 wish he was #1 would love to see him whip some ass and put the title around his waist.
DeadHead988
9/12/11 5:43:30PM
Winner of Guida-Henderson
BeeR
9/12/11 6:47:41PM
Guillard vs Henderson/Guida winner.

whoever wins should get the next shot
jjeans
9/12/11 7:34:08PM

Posted by tmas

To me that makes you the #1 contender just as if you beat the champ you the champ.

I agree that by beating the number 1 contender you are the number 1 contender however, I feel Pettis wasn't the number 1 contender due to the WEC title. However I can still justify a case for guida. However nobody has beaten Miller like Hendo did and for that reason Hendo's case is stronger IMO purely because whilst Miller was ripping it up in the UFC, Hendo and Pettis were ripping it up in the WEC. Both men fight very high end UFC fighters Pettis losses, Hendo wins.

Hendo might have lost at WEC to Pettis, however his transition to the UFC was more successful than that of Pettis. Guida didn't beat the UFC's Number 1 Contender, he beat WEC's number 1 guy. Hendo beat the third best man in the UFC.

You can look at it from dozens of perspectives but overall it depends on a personal level whether you believe that win streaks and things should relate to championship opportunities or your dominance in fights with high tier fighters.
prozacnation1978
9/13/11 11:46:06AM
If you wanna solve this the ufc needs to make the lightweight champ defend more per year. Lightweight is a big roadjam right now

I do think guida vs henderson winner is deserving

But guillard needs another win or two
I do think that a guillard vs sherk should happen
But siver is in same boat. Say he beats cerrrone he still is another win or two away
I really don't wanna see a siver vs guillard rematch but at this time
If they both win they gotta let it happen
Don't forget some time in 2012 melendez will take a crack at the belt as well
I honestly think edgar/maynard winner needs to defend belt again by feb
Then again by july and again by years end of 2012!!!
40ouncetpkid
9/15/11 5:26:21PM
If I had to pick one right now its definitely Henderson after he took it too Miller.

But my preference is definitely Henderson vs Guillard for the title shot, THAT IS THE GREATEST 1 ROUND FIGHT EVER haha I swear Guillard will rock him, but it will either end Guillard KO or Henderson by choke late in the 1st.

Not sold on Guida, hes just had good style match ups. I want him vs Siver really.
ncordless
9/15/11 11:54:20PM
I think it will be the winner of Guida/Henderson, but think that Guillard provides a tougher style-match for Gray and Frankie.

There is a rumour going around that Guillard has left Jackson's. If that is true, I'd want to see him fight again before he gets a title shot.
BeefightStorm
9/16/11 1:47:06PM
I have to agree that Henderson/Guillard would be great, & winner gets the shot. In that one I'm leaning Guillard, but I don't think the KO comes until round 3. That Henderson is a tough fighter.
KNIGHT
9/16/11 1:55:14PM
I don't care as long as we don't end up with edgar-manyard 4!! I do think the winner of guida-bendo should get the next shot then melvin if he keeps winning.
KNIGHT
9/16/11 2:27:29PM
One more thing i forgot to add is when gilbert comes over i think he shoud get a title shot as long as he doesn't lose from now to then.
BeefightStorm
9/16/11 2:41:16PM
That's a great idea. I ranked him at #3 in the lightweight rankings & feel the same way. That guy is a beast & can pose problem for both Edgar & Maynard.