Lightweight GP Dana white interview!!!!!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Lightweight GP Dana white interview!!!!!
sleevey
4/17/07 4:04:34PM
Updates from the Press Conference thanks to MMANEWS.com

Quote:
Much More News From Today's UFC Conference Call

The following notes are courtesy of Chris Howie who represented MMANews.com in today's UFC conference call with president Dana White and Heavyweight fighter Mirko CroCop.

-Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira was in limbo, so the UFC signed him. Basically he had no existing deal with PRIDE, so they decided to move him over to the UFC during the acquisition of PRIDE. Doesn't know who he will be fighting first in the UFC as he just signed him a week ago, but said Nogueira will be fighting a top draw. The rumors are Brandon Vera.

-PRIDE will follow the unified rules, weight-classes and rounds. Pretty much adopting UFC's style.

-UFC 72 "Victory" will be broadcast free on Spike TV and will feature Rich Franklin vs. Martin Kampmann and Forrest Griffin vs. Hector Ramirez.

-There has been no official decision on the PRIDE LWGP yet. Well, we have that one on the main page already. Dana says rumors of UFC fighters being involved in the tournament (Matt Hughes and Diego Sanchez were rumored via a poster) are false. It will only be PRIDE fighters and there will be no UFC vs. PRIDE fights until they do the big supershow.

-When discussing Vanderlei Silva, Dana again mentions how him fighting Chuck Liddell could have been the biggest fight in MMA history until Silva was knocked out by CroCop and Dan Henderson, consecutively.

-Dana doesn't really have anything official on Fedor yet. His contract with PRIDE is not an exclusive deal and Zuffa does not deal with non-exclusive contracts with fighters. Fedor is not a free agent though and they will be working hard to keep him.

-Dana White is still pissed at Tito Ortiz. He sprinkled several insults and choice words throughout the call about him.

-The New Jersey State Athletic Commission is working hard to allow the use of knee strikes in MMA. Dana said that is one rule he would change and they want it added.

-Puts over UFC securing the future of the sport. They are only expanding it and making it bigger, and aren't a flash-in-the-pan like some predict.

-The HBO deal is signed, sealed and delivered. As mentioned before, Dana announced that HBO gained control of the production - so it will be their announcers. It wasn't mentioned, but as a fan of MMA and someone who's about to take over Larry Merchant's position on the boxing broadcasts this year, Max Kellerman would make sense as one of the announcers for the UFC on HBO.

-ESPN will be covering the weigh-ins regularly from now on, and he expects live fight shows to air on that network at some point in the future as well.

Tons Of Mirko CroCop News & Quotes From Conference Call

The following notes are courtesy of Chris Howie, who was representing MMANews.com in today's UFC conference call with president Dana White and Heavyweight fighter Mirko CroCop.

-Mirko CroCop will be returning to the special police after he's done in Parliment. That is expected around November.

-CroCop is very excited to fight in the UK for the UFC this Saturday. He claims he is in perfect condition for this fight.

-CroCop's goal is to win the UFC Heavyweight title right now. He's not thinking about Fedor at the moment.

-CroCop thinks he adapted to the cage and rules well.

-CroCop said he wants to continue using the original PRIDE theme song as his ring-walk music in the UFC. He won't be Saturday though, he's returning to his old PRIDE ring-walk music, "Wild Boyz."

-Dana White puts Mirko CroCop over as one of, if not the best striker in MMA today.

-CroCop said he has liked kicking since he was a kid. He has been training kick-strikes on a sand bag since he was 11 or 12 years old.

-He isn't looking to fight anyone specifically in the UFC. Welcomes all challenges.

-He feels comfortable on the ground, but still prefers to fight standing up.

-Feels he has no space to move down the Light Heavyweight division. He said he would like to fight Chuck Liddell, but would prefer Liddell moving up to Heavyweight, as opposed to him moving down to 205 lbs.

-CroCop isn't getting caught up in the hype he's gotten coming to the U.S. and the UFC. His focus right now is simply on beating Gabriel Gonzaga and he doesn't want to look past this fight.

-CroCop said his key to beating Gonzaga will be trying his best and bringing his best game.

The following notes are courtesy of Chris Howie:

The following are a few notes from the Dana White/Mirko CroCop conference call held today. These notes are only that of which involves PRIDE's future under the Zuffa ownership:

-Dan Henderson will not be stripped of his titles, but they don't know how they're going to handle him being a champion in two divisions actively, yet.

-Mauricio "Shogun" Rua will not be moving over to the UFC side. He will remain a PRIDE fighter.

-There won't be anymore Super Heavyweight matches, freak-show matches or huge mismatches anymore.

-Frank Trigg is gone. He won't be an announcer for PRIDE anymore. They are still looking for a new broadcast team.

-Doesn't know what's going on with Gary (Jerry) Millen or how he will be handled.

-Feels Josh Barnett doesn't like him, as he's alluded to in the media, but still wants him to fight for the new PRIDE.

4/17/07 4:24:00PM
i actually liked trigg as a commentator.
hippysmacker
4/17/07 4:37:57PM
I should have got the whole artitcle before . thanks. Lot's of good stuff
Too bad no UFC fighter's in the gandd prix though.
pv3Hpv3p
4/17/07 4:41:27PM

Posted by loller90278

So your the one...lol

Good post Sleevy... Lots of good stuff in there...
SteedTheDeed
4/17/07 4:41:49PM
millen probably shit his pants when he heard PRIDE was bought.
hippysmacker
4/17/07 4:47:25PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by loller90278

So your the one...lol

Let's be fair, his mom and wife also liked him as a commentator.
D-Boy
4/17/07 4:57:20PM
No more freak shows :*(
hippysmacker
4/17/07 5:13:11PM

Posted by D-Boy

disagree
pv3Hpv3p
4/17/07 5:14:12PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by loller90278

So your the one...lol

C'mon, Hippy, that's an unconfirmed rumor and you know it
pv3Hpv3p
4/17/07 5:14:55PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by D-Boy

disagree

What about Hunt?
hippysmacker
4/17/07 5:16:15PM
LOL, your right. I just got off the phone with both of them and his wife doesn't like him as a commentator either. His mom stuck by him though
hippysmacker
4/17/07 5:18:15PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by D-Boy

disagree

What about Hunt?

I think Hunt is not a complete MMA fighter, but since he did beat Cro-cop and Wandy in MMA matches, I wouldn't consider him in the freakshow category.
zephead
4/17/07 5:22:24PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by loller90278

So your the one...lol

Source????????
MMA
4/17/07 5:34:12PM

Posted by sleevey

-There won't be anymore Super Heavyweight matches, freak-show matches or huge mismatches anymore.

Damn ... but I loved Sudo vs. Butterbean.
Mayo
4/17/07 5:37:52PM

There won't be anymore Super Heavyweight matches, freak-show matches or huge mismatches anymore

No more Bob Sapp
pv3Hpv3p
4/17/07 6:27:22PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by D-Boy

disagree

What about Hunt?

I think Hunt is not a complete MMA fighter, but since he did beat Cro-cop and Wandy in MMA matches, I wouldn't consider him in the freakshow category.

I guess I was talking more about his weight... I personally hope that he can make it to 265... This is assuming that "Freakshow fights" = super heavyweight div...

As to not being a complete MMA fighter, I think he does what he has to on the ground (and keeps learning) and is an excellent striker, that's his realm... Much like Chuck, CC, etc...

If you think about it the majority of fighters out there aren't really that complete, they will normally stick to their breadandbutter... There really aren't that many Fedor's, Hendo's, GSP's, & BJ's out there... BJJ guy's go for the sub, strikers strike, wrestlers LnP
Mastodon2
4/17/07 6:41:27PM
The Fertittas continue to ruin MMA for the fans. No more Super HWs?!

WTF ABOUT MARK HUNT?

The guy is a wrecking machine and he is only getting better, to cut him out is just plain unfair. They should just make HW 205+ like in old Pride, and not cap the upper limit, that is just unfair to the talented larger fighters like Hunt., and would allow for much greater flexability in fights.

Imagine though, if Mark Hunt cut a bit of fat to make 265, and in the process improved his (already good) Cardio. Mark Hunt is devastating now, imagine him slimmed down, like Vovchanchyn did. Igor was amazing after he lost weight a while back.

Still furious about the Fertittas handling of Pride. I understand that Pride was going under, and needed some rich guys to purchase them and keep them afloat, but I wish the Fertittas had cared more about the fans and less about filling their bank balances, and had maintained the integrity of Pride.
Northrend
4/17/07 7:02:13PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by loller90278

So your the one...lol

Actually there are people that like Trigg and I for one am pissed as a mother f#@ker right now. No more Mark Hunt, no Trigg, no stomps/soccer kicks, no knees, 5minute rounds. The good Pride is dead, RIP.
hippysmacker
4/17/07 7:06:43PM

Posted by Mastodon2

The Fertittas continue to ruin MMA for the fans. No more Super HWs?!

WTF ABOUT MARK HUNT?

The guy is a wrecking machine and he is only getting better, to cut him out is just plain unfair. They should just make HW 205+ like in old Pride, and not cap the upper limit, that is just unfair to the talented larger fighters like Hunt., and would allow for much greater flexability in fights.

Imagine though, if Mark Hunt cut a bit of fat to make 265, and in the process improved his (already good) Cardio. Mark Hunt is devastating now, imagine him slimmed down, like Vovchanchyn did. Igor was amazing after he lost weight a while back.

Still furious about the Fertittas handling of Pride. I understand that Pride was going under, and needed some rich guys to purchase them and keep them afloat, but I wish the Fertittas had cared more about the fans and less about filling their bank balances, and had maintained the integrity of Pride.

Calm down everybody. They are not going to cut Hunt. He can easily make 265. he has fought at 250 before. I agree it would do him some good to be in shape IMO
loller90278
4/17/07 7:21:51PM

Posted by hippysmacker

LOL, your right. I just got off the phone with both of them and his wife doesn't like him as a commentator either. His mom stuck by him though

cmon, leave my wife and mom out of this and ill leave this (points to groin) out of your mom and wife

loller90278
4/17/07 7:24:27PM
and mark hunt competed at 250 in k-1 regularly so it wont be a HUGE problem for him, and as one commentator said "he shut cut down on the cheeseburgers"

but that means bean + zulu + giant are out... which sucks, cuz i love me some meat on my men
kerazzle
4/17/07 9:01:17PM
Mark Hunt vs. James Thompson at 265. MAKE IT HAPPEN!
ncordless
4/17/07 10:15:01PM
Now I'll never see Sapp vs. Butterbean!!!!