Former UFC lightweight champ Sean Sherk aiming for fall return

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Former UFC lightweight champ Sean Sherk aiming for fall return
Budgellism
7/5/11 4:03:34PM
Sean Sherk is almost out of the woods.

The former lightweight champ today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the injuries which caused him to put his career on hold are lessening – to the point where he's back in the gym. And he now has a timeframe for return.

If all continues to go well, Sherk (34-4-1 MMA, 8-4 UFC) said a fight in the fall against a top contender – and a top contender only – is his wish.

LINK
Patchedup15
7/5/11 4:32:02PM
At 155 who isn't a top contender. Everyone knows that Miller is likely the next in line unless someone manages to seriously impress Dana. Guillard had the right idea up front when he asked for Miller because he knows that a victory over him would be the best way to cut the line
Budgellism
7/5/11 4:33:32PM
Sherk has really fallen out of the 155 loop. I have no idea who he'll fight.
Twenty20Dollars
7/5/11 5:21:41PM
I was wondering where he b/c he hadn't had any scheduled fights and I don't remember any report of injuries.

Really I only want to see him fight Guida. I don't want to see Sherk just try and grapple Guillard.

I know Sherk/Guida prolly wouldn't be the most exciting, but they are similar and both need a fight.

Or have Sherk vs Tibau, both strong grapplers type, again not the most exciting.

Or Kamal Shalorus, I know not a contender, but a big 155er, this would be my last choice though out of the 3.
Budgellism
7/5/11 5:43:22PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I was wondering where he b/c he hadn't had any scheduled fights and I don't remember any report of injuries.

Really I only want to see him fight Guida. I don't want to see Sherk just try and grapple Guillard.

I know Sherk/Guida prolly wouldn't be the most exciting, but they are similar and both need a fight.

Or have Sherk vs Tibau, both strong grapplers type, again not the most exciting.

Or Kamal Shalorus, I know not a contender, but a big 155er, this would be my last choice though out of the 3.

Tibau is a fight I didn't think about. Makes sense. Probably wouldn't be all that exciting but sometimes you gotta take one for the team.
prozacnation1978
7/5/11 7:39:00PM
I would say tibau or guida
Twenty20Dollars
7/5/11 10:57:04PM
Yeah, Sherk vs Guida/Tibau prolly doesn't look that exciting on paper, but I'd rather them fight, then seeing Guillard facing one of those grapplers who just tries to grapple him for 3 rounds.
40ouncetpkid
7/5/11 11:06:58PM
I like the Guida fight idea, it makes sense even though I also agree don't really see where he fits in because he fights once then don't fight again for almost a year in between.

I think a Guida fight would be absolutely sick since neither could just LNP the other, think it would be a crazy stand up slugfest.
BeeR
7/6/11 8:05:35PM
man, I totally forgot about sherk.

oh well.....
jae_1833
7/7/11 12:04:04AM
Sherk is a big question mark completely for me.....where he stands in the rankings, who he should be matched up with, and mainly I kind of thought that he was on the road to retirement. I guess since he has had such a big lay off I would go with Shamal......make a mark or bounce you know.
Pookie
7/7/11 4:07:42AM
Yeah! I like Clay Guida.

Sherk v. Wrestler