Lightweight Bracket: Who Should Be Champion?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Lightweight Bracket: Who Should Be Champion?
AmericanFighterAce
8/27/07 9:10:51PM
Ok lets say, Sean Sherk gets stripped of his title, and the UFC decided to have 16 of the best lightweights in the UFC fight one another in a tournament to provide a new lightweight champion.
Sound easy enough?
The way the fighter moves on is from votes from you the fan.

So practically you are determining who the lightweight champion would be, if the UFC had thesee 16 fighters fighting for the championship.

Match 1:
BJ Penn vs. Marcus Aurelio

Match 2:
Cole Miller vs. Din Thomas

Match 3:
Tyson Griffin vs. Spencer Fisher

Match 4:
Roger Huerta vs. Kurt Pelligrino

Match 5:
Joe Stevenson vs. Alvin Robinson

Match 6:
Kenny Florian vs. Jorge Grugel

Match 7:
Joe Lauzon vs. Clay Guida

Match 8:
Nate Diaz vs. Frank Edgar

my picks:
BJ Penn
Din Thomas
Tyson Griffin
Roger Huerta
Joe Stevenson
KenFlo
Clay Guida
Frank Edgar.

Now that is a final 8.
juanez13
8/27/07 10:47:11PM
cole miller?? really? i didnt know he was even a top 16, and joe lauzon?? i mean the kids got poetential, but he not anywhere near being a top lightwieght, but having said that there is no depth in the LW division, but i do think you should replace cole miller with manny gamburyan......

BJ-

Din thomas

Roger huerta- although i wouldnt be surprised if kurt won, rogers gives oppening for sub way to often because he thinks he can scape them, not sure if it would be smart to do this with kurt...

joe stevenson

Kenny florian

Clay Guida

Franky edgar
Scott_Revels
8/27/07 10:51:41PM
Out of the sixteen guys you listed, I'd have the title match be BJ Penn/Joe Stevenson with Kenny Florian and Frank Edgar being the alternates if one or both of the top two picks were injured.

Though one thing I might change is.. Instead of Alvin Robinson, I would replace him with Gray Maynard. Stevenson would still beat Maynard, but it'd be a more interesting fight then Robinson.

Also, depending on who you think is better you could change Aurelio out with Leonard Garcia.
AmericanFighterAce
8/27/07 11:11:18PM

Posted by Scott_Revels

Out of the sixteen guys you listed, I'd have the title match be BJ Penn/Joe Stevenson with Kenny Florian and Frank Edgar being the alternates if one or both of the top two picks were injured.

Though one thing I might change is.. Instead of Alvin Robinson, I would replace him with Gray Maynard. Stevenson would still beat Maynard, but it'd be a more interesting fight then Robinson.

Also, depending on who you think is better you could change Aurelio out with Leonard Garcia.

I was thinking about putting Leonard in, but Ithink Cole Miller will defeated Leonard via Submission at Fight Night, thats why he is in..

Gray Maynard is good, and I also thought about putting him in the mix as well, I dunno I think I showed some favoritism towards Alvin Robinson because I like him as a fighter.
spikerman19
8/28/07 1:09:19AM
I Have BJ and Florian in the finals
DCRage
8/28/07 8:06:37AM
Penn vs. Stevenson. I think after this last fight it's safe to say that Joe Daddy's earned his shot.
Mastodon2
8/28/07 8:30:08AM
Penn and Stevenson imo, and Penn would take it. Florian is good, but not champion material, and I don't think anyone else in that list is skilled enough to beat BJ or Stevenson.

If Gomi turned up, things could get interesting, until he ran into BJ again, but since he isn't leaving Japan any time soon I doubt we'll ever see a rematch.