In light of the recent UFC spring cleaning here is a list of fighters that are no longer listed on UFC.com that have fought within the last year

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » In light of the recent UFC spring cleaning here is a list of fighters that are no longer listed on UFC.com that have fought within the last year
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
2/12/09 10:12:36PM
we know of Rich Clementi, Luigi Fioravanti, derek downey, christian wellisch, dan evenson- recently, also jorge gurgel, reese andy, fabricio werdum, josh burkman, sokoudjou, jesse taylor, jason lambert, war machine, kalib starnes and of course andrei arlovski

but I or you perhaps might not have known about these guys being cut by the UFC

MATT ARROYO
NATE MOHR
JEREMY HORN
STEVE BRUNO
ALEXANDRE BARROS
ANTONIO MENDES
IVAN SERATI
SHANE PRIMM
JULES BRUCHEZ
JOHN PLOAKOWSKI
BRODIE FARBER
JOHNNY REES
EDDIE SANCHEZ
JOSH HENDRICKS
RYAN THOMAS
NEIL WEIN
SAMY SCHIAVO
BRAD MORRIS
DANTE RIVERA
JOHN HALVERSON
CALE YARBOROUGH
JAMES GIBOO
ROB YUNDT
RYAN ROBERTS

WheelchairBandit
2/12/09 10:19:00PM
The only one out of that list that is likely to resign with them anytime soon is Arlovski.They're kind of kicking themselves for letting him slip away now.

WB.
Styles
2/12/09 10:22:19PM

Posted by Jesse_Canadian_MMA

we know of Rich Clementi, Luigi Fioravanti, derek downey, christian wellisch, dan evenson- recently, also jorge gurgel, reese andy, fabricio werdum, josh burkman, sokoudjou, jesse taylor, jason lambert, war machine, kalib starnes and of course andrei arlovski

MATT ARROYO
NATE MOHR
JEREMY HORN
STEVE BRUNO
ALEXANDRE BARROS
ANTONIO MENDES
IVAN SERATI
SHANE PRIMM
JULES BRUCHEZ
JOHN PLOAKOWSKI
BRODIE FARBER
JOHNNY REES
EDDIE SANCHEZ
JOSH HENDRICKS
RYAN THOMAS
NEIL WEIN
SAMY SCHIAVO
BRAD MORRIS
DANTE RIVERA
JOHN HALVERSON
CALE YARBOROUGH
JAMES GIBOO
ROB YUNDT
RYAN ROBERTS

There are quite a few fighters here that I would have liked to see fight in the UFC again. I dont understand why they are cutting so many.
Twenty20Dollars
2/12/09 10:24:54PM
No shocker's here.
prozacnation1978
2/12/09 10:25:25PM
some of those guys i had no clue got cut, alot of them did derserve it and i think maybe a hand ful of them will be back by the end of the year
Khaos
2/12/09 10:29:39PM
Sad to see Horn on the list, but 0-3 since his return I'm not suprised.
wapttn
2/12/09 10:39:57PM
the reason why the ufc are cutting so many fighters is because their rosters are stacked full of talent. They want to keep the organization competitive... they cant keep someone on the roster simply because they have talent, because they had an exciting fight or because they're a good guy. There are three types of fighters in the ufc:

Top tier fighters: which include title holders and top contenders. These are the fighters who's contracts are relatively secure, are paid well, are main card material and who have a good fan base. Examples are fighters like the champs of each division, but also fighters like kos or liddell

Middle tier fighters: these fighters include gate keepers(leben), rising stars (bisping) and fighters who will beat middle competition but will probably never reach a title shot (guida)

lower tier fighters: these fighters are usually entry level up and comers like TUF cast members and unless they're the winners are usually on a short contract thats a win-and-you're-still-in basis. Other fighters in this tier are brought in because they've impressed someone or have put together a decent streak of wins, but if they lose more than a couple, they're still out.

The thing about this system is that the lower tier is like a farm system for the upper tier... you can usually only last in the lower tier for 2-3 fights.. if you dont become a rising star or someone who can beat middle competition then you're taking up roster space that the ufc could use for someone who may be more capable. Theres a near endless supply of young and talented amateur fighters waiting to let it all hang out in the ufc... if you dont impress, then theres no reason to keep you over the next guy in line

i personally agree with this system and think its one of the best ways of maximizing the ufc's ability to get their hands on talent while its young, hungry and unknown
Tein_Lung
2/12/09 10:42:32PM

Posted by Khaos

Sad to see Horn on the list, but 0-3 since his return I'm not suprised.

horn may have over 80 something wins... but how many are over someone in the top 10 or 20... he got a shot at chuck because chuck asked for it so he could whoop the first guy that beat him...

hell Horn lost elvis sinosic... that right there is pretty bad... that dude has a record worse then tank abbot just about
RampageOwnedYou
2/12/09 10:57:04PM
Where did you see Rich C. As well as Luigi? Got a url?

You also forgot about Jorge Gurgel on that list.
fizz
2/12/09 11:04:24PM

Posted by RampageOwnedYou

Where did you see Rich C. As well as Luigi? Got a url?

You also forgot about Jorge Gurgel on that list.

Read on top of teh list ,,,he mentionned those name in the text !!
Mayhem13
2/12/09 11:15:51PM
I thought Dante Rivera was fighting April 1st?

maybe its an Aprils Fool joke? and when they start playing his entrance music, Dana walks out and says "APRIL FOOLS!" and then they move on to the next fight..
Twenty20Dollars
2/12/09 11:29:37PM
This is also because of WEC's WW division folding in UFC's.
originalconspiracy
2/12/09 11:33:44PM
man i wanted to see mendes again
Styles
2/13/09 12:13:33AM
Any talk about any of these guys going to WEC? I just dont see alot of these guys just going away, but I also cant see them going to other orgs except maybe Rich, Horn, and Soko. I would love to see Arroyo, Gurgel, and Mendes in the WEC.

Also, not to jump off topic but how could Bisbing be considered an upcomer in the UFC....? Pretty sure Bisbing is a legit contender. I would also think that you would want the exciting fighters, because months after one puts on an exciting fight, people will still remember it and buy into seeing that person again. I give more respect to a fighter that pours it all out to make it exciting rather then a fighter with just a winnign record. Its like putting Karo's career against someone like Wandy's career (only an example so please lets not go into how differently these 2 are, I am well aware). Karo has a good record and all, but I would never buy a PPV that had him on the main or co-main bout.

Someone explain to me why Bonnar is still around? He has a sub .500 career in the UFC and has boring fights (except for the one with Forrest were he gave 120%). I dont mind watching Bonnar, but I would rather see Clementi fight due to the exsitment, also Soko.
Loot613
2/13/09 1:03:26AM
This will be good for the UFC they still might pickup a few fighters that Strikeforce either couldn't sign or didn't from elite xc and they'd have the room for them. Also alot of these guys were just on the roster and not scheduled to fight anyone and the UFC would have had to put on more shows or put more fights on per card to keep em all busy.

btw Jorge Gurgel signed with Strikeforce, no source but I read this about 2-3 weeks ago...
Boo_Radley21
2/13/09 1:26:15AM
Im sad Horn is gone. What a guy. But good riddance to Gurgel.
DosBox
2/13/09 1:40:23AM
I do understand why the UFC have had this "spring cleaning", and for the most part I agree with their decisions on who to cut. Besides Rich Clementi, I would have liked it if Alexandre Barros would have stayed for at least 1 more fight. Fighting a guy like Martin Kampmann is no easy task to debut in. He showed some skills and gave Kampmann a good fight.

I guess a new contract policy that the UFC is making recently is this "1 and done" policy where they drop newcomers who have lost their debut fights in the UFC. Wain, Barros, Serati, Hendricks, etc... I do believe Koscheck's opponent Paulo Thiago has this "clause" where if he is to lose he is done (although not completely sure). That is too bad because I dont see too many people defeating Koscheck in the WW division, and yet if Thiago does not amount to anything against an arguable top 3 in the division, he is cut.

Not that I have anything against this, I do agree with most of the people they have cut. If you cannot get it done in the octagon, get some fights in elsewhere, win, and get back in. Im sure Clementi will earn another trip to the UFC, as will a few others in the future. Business is business.
Franklinfan47
2/13/09 11:19:16AM
I think most of those cuts are justified and the ones that arent.....well thats the way it goes I guess. Im sure UFC management has its reasons.

What I don't get is how they let Clementi go but decide to keep David Kaplan for another fight?
BelaLugosi
2/13/09 4:25:53PM
Jorge Santiago name has never been removed
fonduktoe
2/14/09 3:08:51AM
they are cutting upwards of 50 fighters
imo they need to trim the fat anyways
there are some pretty hot prospects out there they need to free the cash up for
hindsightufuk
2/14/09 1:38:53PM

Posted by Tein_Lung

hell Horn lost elvis sinosic... that right there is pretty bad... that dude has a record worse then tank abbot just about

i know im nit picking but Horn does have an impressive resume

from memory he has stoppages over chuck, forrest, louisaeu, sonnen (2 or 3 times i think), also went the distance with severn, couture, anderson silva, dean lister, yvel, babalu, arona, little nog

like i say im nit picking, but i been listening to a lot of people ditching Horn recently.

Also remember his last fight he just went the distance with same guy Hendo couldnt beat

ima go watch the IFC tournement again!
SociopathX
2/14/09 2:54:06PM

Posted by wapttn

the reason why the ufc are cutting so many fighters is because their rosters are stacked full of talent. They want to keep the organization competitive... they cant keep someone on the roster simply because they have talent, because they had an exciting fight or because they're a good guy. There are three types of fighters in the ufc:

Top tier fighters: which include title holders and top contenders. These are the fighters who's contracts are relatively secure, are paid well, are main card material and who have a good fan base. Examples are fighters like the champs of each division, but also fighters like kos or liddell

Middle tier fighters: these fighters include gate keepers(leben), rising stars (bisping) and fighters who will beat middle competition but will probably never reach a title shot (guida)

lower tier fighters: these fighters are usually entry level up and comers like TUF cast members and unless they're the winners are usually on a short contract thats a win-and-you're-still-in basis. Other fighters in this tier are brought in because they've impressed someone or have put together a decent streak of wins, but if they lose more than a couple, they're still out.

The thing about this system is that the lower tier is like a farm system for the upper tier... you can usually only last in the lower tier for 2-3 fights.. if you dont become a rising star or someone who can beat middle competition then you're taking up roster space that the ufc could use for someone who may be more capable. Theres a near endless supply of young and talented amateur fighters waiting to let it all hang out in the ufc... if you dont impress, then theres no reason to keep you over the next guy in line

i personally agree with this system and think its one of the best ways of maximizing the ufc's ability to get their hands on talent while its young, hungry and unknown

sums it up perfectly... great post
bls1919
2/15/09 5:00:47PM
I know he went 0-2 but i would like to see more of Antonio Mendes. He had thiago Silva hurt twice in their fight and ran into schafer who is no joke either.
nickcuc547
2/15/09 5:22:06PM

Posted by Styles

Posted by Jesse_Canadian_MMA

MATT ARROYO
NATE MOHR
JEREMY HORN
STEVE BRUNO
ALEXANDRE BARROS
ANTONIO MENDES
IVAN SERATI
SHANE PRIMM
JULES BRUCHEZ
JOHN PLOAKOWSKI
BRODIE FARBER
JOHNNY REES
EDDIE SANCHEZ
JOSH HENDRICKS
RYAN THOMAS
NEIL WEIN
SAMY SCHIAVO
BRAD MORRIS
DANTE RIVERA
JOHN HALVERSON
CALE YARBOROUGH
JAMES GIBOO
ROB YUNDT
RYAN ROBERTS

There are quite a few fighters here that I would have liked to see fight in the UFC again. I dont understand why they are cutting so many.

really? i must say out of that entire last, besides aa of course, there are a total of 0 that i would like to see again. most are tomato cans and the ones who aren't won't be moving up the ranks because they are just mediocre, just my two cents.
MMAcca
2/18/09 1:25:44AM
Steve Bruno has gone now too
fullerene
2/18/09 11:10:35AM
Everyone is going to have fighters they like who are on the list, but that is the reaility of the sport. There are other fighters who are going to become favorites as well after they finish their stint in the WEC or on TUF and get their break.

The only way the UFC can keep their roster and add new stars is to put on more shows and the shows for 2009 are already getting diluted.

Plus, these guys aren't cut forever. They just need to get on a win streak in some of the smaller organizations to get momentum back. I think this is the 3rd time that Horn has been out of the UFC.
copcopps
2/18/09 11:17:22AM

Posted by MMAcca

Steve Bruno has gone now too

Yeah though he's a decent fighter I won't miss him. I'm thinking Chris Wilson might be gone soon
RhythmAndStyle
2/18/09 1:26:23PM
i hope that Rich Clementi,Fabricio Werdum,Jason Lambert,Alexandre Barros,Antonio Mendes,Ivan Serati and Eddie Sanchez find their way to Affliction..these guys all have major talent..their all known names..depends on how much you watch and follow them..these are the guys that i think would do pretty good with or without the UFC..and on top of my list is Fabricio Werdum who had one lost in the UFC..and has 2 wins over the UFC #8 HW G.G...who I.M.O. is WAAAYYYY over-rated..i hope to see Werdum and any of the HW in Affliction fight...
fullerene
2/18/09 1:50:51PM
Werdum lost to Arlovski and Santos.

I don't think Affliction will be the savior for many of these guys. If they put on more shows (which I'm not sure they will) they are likely to revolve around their only big star, Fedor. I could see them shelling out money for possible opponents for him, such as Overeem or Couture, but a guy like Eddie Sanches, while solid, isn't a viable challenge and they're only going to pay him so much to fight twice a year against guys like Nelson and Buentello.

gsquat
2/18/09 3:09:07PM
Affliction will be the savior to nobody. The fighters are the ones keeping the Affliction head above water. Running off of UFC leftovers is only gonna keep your engine running for so long.