Light-Heavywieght Title Contention...your thoughts?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Light-Heavywieght Title Contention...your thoughts?
Jujiden
7/26/07 12:49:35PM
Ok, if all is fair in the UFC....and most of the time it's not when it comes to title shots...then the winner of Rua/Griffin & Liddell/Jardine should face each other for title shot to the winner of Rampage/Henderson.

...unless Dana is positioning Liddell for the title shot and using a win over a fighter like Jardine to prove it (poor Jardine, being used by the man)...

it would make the light-heavy title contention a lot more interesting if it went the fair route as stated at the beginning...

then after the smoke clears, Machida, if he's still winning, can get his shot.

Your thoguhts?
LR
7/26/07 12:52:22PM
If Liddell gets a shot after his Jardine fight, Dana will be the laughing stock of the UFC. There is no way he'll do that, unless Rua gets upset.
Twenty20Dollars
7/26/07 1:16:25PM
Not sure where you came up with this title contention. Dana said most likely if Shogun wins his first fight in the UFC that he would be next in line for a title shot. So there is no need for him to face the winner of Jardine/Liddell
pv3Hpv3p
7/26/07 1:34:38PM

Posted by LR

If Liddell gets a shot after his Jardine fight, Dana will be the laughing stock of the UFC. There is no way he'll do that...

That's exactly what he did with Hughes after he beat Lytle... So I wouldn't put it past him...

Shogun would make more sense... The guy's been waiting for a shot at a 205lb title for too long, and deserves it more than Liddell or anyone else for that matter
juanez13
7/26/07 1:45:59PM
yea shogun deserves it more....the only reason he was never the middle weight champ for pride was beacuse wanderlei was the champ,,,,,,,,
xchickox
7/26/07 2:06:48PM
i'd like to see bisping pushed a little more towards the title, also if houston alexander wins his next fight he has to be put up in contention, same with lambert and the same with the winner of tito vs rashad
ocho-cinco
7/26/07 2:58:18PM
If Shogun beats Griffen, he will get a shot at the belt. Liddell can't beat Rampage, so I think the UFC is waiting until there is a new champ before they give him another shot.
LR
7/26/07 4:25:39PM
Alexander would have 2 fights under his belt, and you are saying he should be in contention. He needs to get at least a good 4 fights under his belt. Bisping will be awhile as well. They always milk out their records, look at Sanchez's bloated record.
cmill21
7/26/07 4:25:47PM
They were hoping GSP would lose as well. They are a business and to the bigest TV viewing country in the world(the US) Liddell, Hughes, Franklin and Randy are all the perfect champs. If Shogun beats griffen, he'll beat rampage and boom chuck has a man he's never faced. I also think they wanted anderson to lose to nate, thinking rich would be able to take nate out and get his belt back. It's all about people watching the PPV's.
nubby
7/26/07 4:25:50PM
I think both Bisping and Machide need to fight some tougher competition before they are allowed a title shot.
AmericanFighterAce
7/26/07 4:47:33PM

Posted by nubby

I think both Bisping and Machide need to fight some tougher competition before they are allowed a title shot.

for the first time

Machida is hands down of the best pound for pound fighters in the world, but the UFC still does not put him in good match-ups because he is a decision fighter.

Here is the scenario, (if) Shogun Rua wins, I think he will want one more fight underneath his belt, before he gets a shot at the championship.

So that leaves Chuck Liddell waiting and wanting a title shot.

I say, you match up Shogun and Liddell and see who really is the true number one contender.

Also underneath of them you have the likes of (no order for shot)
-Forrest Griffin
-Jason Lambert
-Renato "Babalu" Sorbal
-Tito Ortiz
-Matt Hamill
-Michael Bisping
-Rashad Evans
-Stephan Bonnar
-Wanderlei Silva (If he signs)
-Ryoto Machida
-Houston Alexander
-Keith Jardine

If both upsets occurr at UFC 76, and Houston Alexander wins, I think you could see a Griffin vs. Alexander match-up to determine who fights the champion, then a Liddell vs. Ortiz match-up to make sure Liddell does not lose 3 straight.

pv3Hpv3p
7/26/07 4:50:32PM

Posted by nubby

I think they should fight eachother
Aether
7/26/07 5:18:51PM
I don't think Chuck is going to get a title shot simply because Dana wants to get the fight with Wanderlei done without risking another loss from either fighter. I think that's the real reason he's fighting Jardine instead of someone significantly more dangerous to him.

More than likely Shogun will face (and beat) the winner of Hendo vs Jackson, and around the same time Chuck will fight Wandy. I would say the winner of that fight will then get a title shot, but I'd put my money on Wandy winning and declining to fight Shogun.
SpiderSilva
7/26/07 5:41:12PM
I think If Hendo beats Rampage we will see Chuck fighting for the belt with Rampage fighting Shougun if he wins for the #1 contender
But now if Rampage win then most likely we iwll see Shogun fighting for the belt with Chuck waiting for the winner
They really dont want to see Chuck fight Rampage again because how easy he beat him thats why Chuck would get the Title shot if hendo wins and Rampage and Shogun should be the other top 2 fighters
So if Rampage wins Shogun would get the fight with the Dana hopeing Shogun would win to get Chuck that chance to get his belt back
nubby
7/26/07 6:25:14PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

I think If Hendo beats Rampage we will see Chuck fighting for the belt with Rampage fighting Shougun if he wins for the #1 contender
But now if Rampage win then most likely we iwll see Shogun fighting for the belt with Chuck waiting for the winner
They really dont want to see Chuck fight Rampage again because how easy he beat him thats why Chuck would get the Title shot if hendo wins and Rampage and Shogun should be the other top 2 fighters
So if Rampage wins Shogun would get the fight with the Dana hopeing Shogun would win to get Chuck that chance to get his belt back

That is a lot to think about. Basically the LHW division is so stuffed full of talent it's going to take at elast 2 years to figure out who the best is. Damn, imagine if Randy wins against GG and then wants to come back down to LHW to fight more competition. The friggin division will turned upside down again.
Gladiator
7/26/07 6:34:31PM

Posted by Aether

I don't think Chuck is going to get a title shot simply because Dana wants to get the fight with Wanderlei done without risking another loss from either fighter. I think that's the real reason he's fighting Jardine instead of someone significantly more dangerous to him.

More than likely Shogun will face (and beat) the winner of Hendo vs Jackson, and around the same time Chuck will fight Wandy. I would say the winner of that fight will then get a title shot, but I'd put my money on Wandy winning and declining to fight Shogun.

chuck cant aford to lose if he is finally going to fight wanderlei in november. at first i was upset that chuck was fighting jardine and not machida or shogun but if wanderlei vs chuck happens sometime in the next 4 months then i am completely cool with chuck getting protected. that would suck though if dan beats rampage and they give chuck an immediate title shot, im sure it would be a great fight but i would rather see wanderlei vs chuck before it completely loses its appeal and i think shogun deserves a title shot way more. it would be awesome to have shogun vs rampage/henderson and chuck vs wandy on the same card.
jgtribbett
7/27/07 2:29:52PM
title contention
1. shogun
2. .....................

exactly.. none of those other guys are gonna beat jackson.. i can see someone like forrest who doesnt belong with the title getting lucky or something .. or having the fight of his life