The Light Heavyweight Picture

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » The Light Heavyweight Picture
MMAcca
5/26/08 2:33:40AM
The Light Heavyweight division emerged from UFC 84 with more clarity than before, but still very muddled. Simply put, there is nobody right now who deserves an immediate title shot against the winner of Rampage and Forrest. The top half of the contenders includes Wand, Thiago, Machida, Shogun, Liddell, and Rashad Evans. Both Chuck and Shogun are expected to return in September, which is right around the time all the guys who just fought should begin fighting again. There's also the possibility of Rich Franklin moving to 205, which is very likely in my view considering the place he is in right now at 185.

LINK
clintjack
5/26/08 2:47:43AM
Yeah those would all be great fights, lets hope all of them happen.
ocho-cinco
5/26/08 2:54:31AM
All fights I would like to see.

I really like Thiago Vs Sokoudjou, or Thiago Vs Machida. Sokoudjou Vs Wanderlei would be dope as well. Can't really go wrong with prety much any of the top fighters at 205 right now. Stacked division, with a bottle neck at the top.
jae_1833
5/26/08 3:32:05AM
I still see Rich at MW....he could easily have a home there for a long time with the influx of new talent and possibly have a war with Wand if he decides to step down a weight class.
xAcidburNx
5/26/08 4:02:43AM
i would love to see wand vs rich. that would be sick. not to mention rich and hendo. thats 2 big fights he could have and if he takes em both with one more name fight he could get another title shot even if anderson is still reigning champ. if you watch all andersons fights i would say rich gave him the hardest time in that second fight.
Red-Dragon
5/26/08 7:16:19AM

Posted by xAcidburNx

i would love to see wand vs rich. that would be sick. not to mention rich and hendo. thats 2 big fights he could have and if he takes em both with one more name fight he could get another title shot even if anderson is still reigning champ. if you watch all andersons fights i would say rich gave him the hardest time in that second fight.

I would say Lutter gave Anderson his hardest fight.
EON
5/26/08 7:21:20AM
Wand cleared up a lot at this event, (1) he proved that hes back in the top 10 or 5....(2) it showed a lot about Jardine and that aggressive getting on the inside style is his weakness as the case with Liddell who is a counter attacker like Jardine which hurt him in the Rampage fight (3) hes still very much in the mix to fight Rampage for the title after another top 10 or top 5 win
hails
5/26/08 8:27:37AM
Machida v Evans - winner gets winner of Rampage v Forest.

I think that is how it should go!!!

Both Machida and Evans undefeated, what more do they have to do to get a shot? Beat on one another to work out who deserves it the most.

I thought that would be the most logical way.

Chuck, after one win?

Wandi, after one win?

Shogun, after a loss?

Jardine, after a loss?

Is there anyone else?

Cheers
Focker101
5/26/08 9:17:55AM

Posted by hails

Both Machida and Evans undefeated, what more do they have to do to get a shot? Beat on one another to work out who deserves it the most.

Chuck, after one win?

Wandi, after one win?

Shogun, after a loss?

Jardine, after a loss?

Is there anyone else?

Cheers

Agreed but add Thiago Silva as well any of those three
and I dont like Machida or Evans at all but I would perfer Machida would win as I dislike him less the Evans but ultimately I would like to see Thiago his fights are entertaining
cheesy-maggot
5/26/08 12:04:26PM

Posted by hails

Chuck, after one win?

Wandi, after one win?

Shogun, after a loss?

Jardine, after a loss?

Is there anyone else?

Cheers

Problem with that is who in the top ten has Evans and Machida faced
whardin19
5/26/08 12:16:37PM
Intresting tidbit there. There is no doubt in my mind that Thiago Silva and Lyoto Machida should be fighting to face the winner of the Forrest Griffin and Rampage Jackson fight. I know Rashad Evans hasn't lost and is still undefeated. But, I just don't think he's ready for the top competition put him in there with Wandy that will prove if he's ready or not. The winner of that fight could go ahead and get the winner of the next title fight.
Sir_Karl
5/26/08 2:07:08PM
Machida should get the shot for sure look at his record and who he has faced.
He consistently beats whomever they put in front of him.
He has been fighting in MMA for exactly 5 years...May 2003 to May 2008.
Look at the list of opponents he has "dispatched".
He has fought and won 5 times in the last 16 months alone...Hoger, Heath, Nakamura, Sokoudjou and Ortiz.
After the Griffin and Jackson match, Machida deserves the shot.
Wanderlei doesn't...three straight losses then a win over the up and down Jardine.
Liddell lost 2 in a row then a win over Wanderlei.
Rua lost to Griffin.
Thiago Silva hasn't faced top level opponents yet.
Rashad hasn't defeated a high quality opponent yet.
It really doesn't matter though....Machida will be the champion eventually.
No matter who they put in front of him.

jae_1833
5/26/08 2:09:33PM
I would have to say that Machida has earned his shot IMO....however I would love for Rashad to fight Thiago Silva for the next shot. Chuck, Rua, Wand, while loved are still not strong enough in the W column for me to feel that they have earned that title shot yet. Sorry guys I love the classics too but even heroes have to die!
tylerlee123
5/26/08 3:02:11PM
Machida against Evans would make sense i just dont think Evans deserves it just yet
blinkfenix2000
5/26/08 4:37:42PM
Jackson V. Griffin
Liddell V. Rua
W. Silva V. Machida
Evans V. Franklin
Jardine V. Alexander
T. Silva V. Sokoudjou
Hamil V. Irvin

pending some injuries healing...this is how I'd like to see the next few fights go down

also....Tito is already off of UFC.com
xAcidburNx
5/26/08 9:55:04PM

Posted by hails

Chuck, after one win?

Wandi, after one win?

Shogun, after a loss?

Jardine, after a loss?

Is there anyone else?

Cheers

I honestly dont see why evans should get a shot next. he hasnt fought in a while and he lost that shot to ortiz. i found it hilariouse that he was complaining after that fight. he got lucky tito grabbed the fence. the fence grab didnt even save him from the takedown so evans got those points still and tito had to take the point reduction. so in my mind. he lost to an unimpressive tito. machida convincingly beat tito. almost finished em twice. sure tito got one sub attempt on him and a good one at that but it doesn't mean he should get the fight for uneffective aggression and 1 sub attempt. shogun on the other hand was ranked #1 in the world and came into that fight with forrest looking horrible. i say winner of him and machida should get shot. although its more likely that we will see shogun vs liddell first
MMAcca
5/27/08 12:24:10AM

Posted by Red-Dragon

Posted by xAcidburNx

For all of 30 seconds maybe.......
xAcidburNx
5/27/08 5:37:33AM

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by Red-Dragon

Posted by xAcidburNx

For all of 30 seconds maybe.......

BURN!