Which light heavyweight would giva machida the MOST problems?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Which light heavyweight would giva machida the MOST problems?
POLL: which light heavy would give him the MOST trouble?
Thiago Silva 4% (2)
Wanderlei Silva 41% (23)
Rashad Evans 2% (1)
Forrest Griffin 18% (10)
Dan Henderson at LHW 18% (10)
Other 18% (10)
haggiswashere
10/22/08 6:06:43AM
which guy right now could counter his elusive-ness? i know i have made alot of machida hate comments in the past but i swear i won't in this thread. BTW if i am missing someone on the poll feel free to suggest who i missed.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
juanez13
10/22/08 6:42:32AM
Wandy-> reason being is that it would be hard for Machida to keep Wandy away, if Wandy gets in the pocket with Machida i think he'd put him down, I dont think Machida would do well inside, as he never puts combos together.

Rampage would also give him problems, as we've seen Rampages footwork in his last couple of fights. He doesnt chase opponents, he cuts them off, so its not like he would try to go straight into Machida (which all have done, and all have failed), but rather cut machida off moving side ways. The only problem is his lead leg, as far as his stand up goes he is turning into a boxer so he leaves that lead leg out there for low kicks, as forrest showed. But as long as Rampage acknowledges that, he should be alright.
cmb19932
10/22/08 7:08:42AM
you can only be allusive so long if a guy like wandy comes at u he just keeps coming at u throwing hard and i think machida wont be able to run or doge or counter enough to stop wandy
cowcatcher
10/22/08 7:22:53AM
i think juanez answered it, wandy is the most aggresive skilled fighter at LHW and thats what you have to be to beat this guy.
Gipper
10/22/08 8:25:28AM
call me crazy but i think they all beat him
fullerene
10/22/08 8:28:27AM
I've always thought Shogun would be his toughest fight. He's the one LHW who can possibly match Machida's speed and, although he's not nearly as accurate, he sets a very fast pace and I think it might be enough to break Machida's uncanny composure and timing. Plus he's very good on the ground and on his feet.

Out of the people in the poll I think Wanderlei Silva would be the toughest matchups for the reasons I just gave for Shogun, but he lacks Shogun's speed.
haggiswashere
10/22/08 8:37:44AM
what sucks is i heard somewhere wandy wont fight him because they train together or something.
MMAcca
10/22/08 8:55:15AM

Posted by Gipper

You sir, are crazy.

4u2nv
10/22/08 9:08:50AM

Posted by fullerene

I've always thought Shogun would be his toughest fight. He's the one LHW who can possibly match Machida's speed and, although he's not nearly as accurate, he sets a very fast pace and I think it might be enough to break Machida's uncanny composure and timing. Plus he's very good on the ground and on his feet.

Out of the people in the poll I think Wanderlei Silva would be the toughest matchups for the reasons I just gave for Shogun, but he lacks Shogun's speed.

This is the truth. Shogun also packs tons of aggression and sub abilities. I dont think Wand would fair up as well as Rua.
Pookie
10/22/08 9:20:42AM
Shogun
cowcatcher
10/22/08 10:05:40AM
shogun came to mind, and i dont want to discredit all hes done in mma, but im not sure what to expect from him after the loss to griffin and 2 ensuing surgeries. if he comes out like he used to look id be hard pressed not to say hes the guy to beat machida, but i could have said the same about CC against alistair(granted CCs demise has been going on for awhile now and hes much older than shogun, but i hope you can see my point). so right now i just want to see how shogun looks against coleman, and go from there because im just not sure where hes at right now.
saemskin
10/22/08 10:15:15AM
Shogun is going to destroy Coleman and his crappy mma wrestling.
Ordep
10/22/08 10:41:09AM
Wandy, Shogun and after what I saw Saturday Luiz Cane. I just liked how he chased Soko very patient. I think he can chase Machida without getting frustrated blocking blow in the way en route to land his own then explode when he set the chance, just as he did. When he dropped Soko and went furiously over him it was like that guy just flipped.
copcopps
10/22/08 10:50:18AM
Hendo
pv3Hpv3p
10/22/08 11:01:34AM
I'm actually going with Griffen in this one... I think his style reach and boxing could pull it off for him... Although I don't think it would be that exciting of a fight
tomp6581
10/22/08 12:07:07PM
I cant believe Rampage wasnt on that list.

Gipper
10/22/08 12:58:11PM

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by Gipper

You sir, are crazy.

lol..it took a while but finally someone called me on this. ok evans would be in tough. i honestly believe the other fighters you listed could take him out. i'm not taking anything away from machida because he is one of the best fighters in the world but he has holes in his game too. he had a tough time with tito and did come close to getting submitted after he had ortiz hurt. i guess we will find out soon enough when one of my favorite fighters t.silva gets in there with him.
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/22/08 1:59:57PM
i think Rampage, Wandy, & Evans COULD all beat Machida, if they used the correct gameplan & didnt fight the fight he wanted

i think Shogun WOULD beat Machida

prozacnation1978
10/22/08 2:04:59PM
i think forrest could go 5 rounds and be patient and eek out a randy coutore decision

i do think forrest can beat rashad and lyoto and that is it.

wandy would beat him and rampage rematch rampage would knock him out

i do think thiago silva could beat him as well
nickcuc547
10/22/08 2:25:47PM
I voted for wanderlie because of his straight ahead style, but i have a feeling machida could handle that. honestly right now i'm leaning for towards henderson, machida hasn't had to fight on his back and henderson is arguable the best wrestler in the division who i think would no dout be able to put him on his back.
NatedawgThaM
10/22/08 5:40:58PM
I say Rampage or Shogun(at 100% from PRIDE). Both never stop coming right at you. Both are tough as hell with good chins and amazingly durable. Both have the great stand up with aggression that could cause Machida problems, Rampage just needs to check the leg kicks and I think they both have that always great chance of catching him, but I think they'd both out work him and steal 2 out of 3 rounds too beat him.

I think Forrest and Rashad would be too easy for him since they both fight very technically on the feet and I think Machida would take them too school and if Tito couldn't take him down, I don't think Rashad would. Wandy and Thiago I think are too wild and would get outboxed easily and I don't think they have the gas tank to keep throwing for 3 rounds so I think Wandy would lose a close decision similar to the Chuck fight except not as exciting but still up there, but Thiago might get stopped, I don't think he's ready for that big of a fight yet. I'd love them both to KO him, but Imma go with my brain and say he'd beat them even though I'd love to see him get KO'd. And I just don't think Hendo would be able to get close enough to even grab Machida and use that amazing Grecco.

I would love to see somebody expose at least a little bit of a weakness on Machida, but I just don't see it happening unless a Diego Sanchez comes in at 205 that can punch non-stop for 3 rounds, great chin, amazing cardio, and could out work Machida, but I don't see that happening at 205 but Shogun and Rampage I think come the closest.
bls1919
10/22/08 5:57:52PM
I went with Hendo. A supurb wrestler with a granite chin and a gas tank to match. Would be a tough fight I think it could go to either guy in a UD. Other than that i think he woul Ko T. Silva, UD W Silva. Ko Evans and UD with Forrest which also could go either way IMO.
JoeySteel
10/22/08 6:30:02PM
Actually I think Chuck, if he would start to diversify his game a bit. I am NOT a chuck nuthugger. I don't really even like him, sorry ladies. I would like to see Rashad (AS CHAMP) fight Lyoto, as a match made in heaven, but chucks aggression and ability to take people down if he CHOOSE to would be a dangerous combo for Lyoto.

I would even say maybe Jardine, Vera, or Hendo intrestingly enough. But I think Lyoto would destroy everyone on your list.
haggiswashere
10/22/08 6:38:39PM

Posted by JoeySteel

Actually I think Chuck, if he would start to diversify his game a bit. I am NOT a chuck nuthugger. I don't really even like him, sorry ladies. I would like to see Rashad (AS CHAMP) fight Lyoto, as a match made in heaven, but chucks aggression and ability to take people down if he CHOOSE to would be a dangerous combo for Lyoto.

I would even say maybe Jardine, Vera, or Hendo intrestingly enough. But I think Lyoto would destroy everyone on your list.

but if you think about it when jardine and evans beat chuck they did alot of moving around and hitting from weird angles like machida does. i think it is a horrible matchup for liddell and I AM a chuckhugger.