Liddell rumored to fight at UFC71

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Liddell rumored to fight at UFC71
« Previous Page
jay98107
2/9/07 7:18:43PM
I think he will be fighting Jardine because Rashad is still being protected and Rampage said he wants 2-3 more fights first.
modogg
2/10/07 2:21:01AM
I got to think definately not Rampage. Too early for them to fight, UFC will want to hype it some more and build Rampage. Chuck looks unstopable right now. I have to think UFC 71 may be a tune up fight for Chuck, most likely being Jardine. I think Dana intended to have Forrest fight him if he would have walked though Jardine. They also probably want to build Rashad and Bisping some more, and i have to think Tito will take on Babalu after their next fights. I don't see the UFC bringing someone in (e.g. Little Nog) to take him on just yet because they will try to build up whoever they bring in with UFC fans (if they were ever not going to do this it would have been with Cro Cop). Rampage vs. Chuck is probably more likely for December/January '08 kind of thing.
nate22
2/10/07 8:22:16AM
Rampage wants another fight which makes sense really and Rashad, obviously needs to fight a Top five in Babalu or Tito for example. No way can it be Babalu and Tito, they really have to wait and hope Chuck loses that belt soon if they want another shot at it, otherwise they will have alot of convincing to do before I think anybody would think anything different could happen in yet another rematch. Bisping could be ready, but still needs to sell himself to the fans with some big name wins. Hopefully he will get some big fights soon. Machida is maybe the best option for UFC but I doubt he has what it takes to take out Chuck, should be an easy fight for UFC to sell.

nate22
2/10/07 8:26:11AM

Posted by modogg

I got to think definately not Rampage. Too early for them to fight, UFC will want to hype it some more and build Rampage. Chuck looks unstopable right now. I have to think UFC 71 may be a tune up fight for Chuck, most likely being Jardine. I think Dana intended to have Forrest fight him if he would have walked though Jardine. They also probably want to build Rashad and Bisping some more, and i have to think Tito will take on Babalu after their next fights. I don't see the UFC bringing someone in (e.g. Little Nog) to take him on just yet because they will try to build up whoever they bring in with UFC fans (if they were ever not going to do this it would have been with Cro Cop). Rampage vs. Chuck is probably more likely for December/January '08 kind of thing.

No offense to Jardine but I would be very disappointed if he was the next guy to face Chuck, Jardine has no credibility as the number one contender at the moment, beating Forrest in any fashion is really not enough. I know why it would of happened, but if Forrest got that title shot then I would be moaning too.

I think the man to blame for this predicament i Chuck himself for eating up the top contenders over and over again and he really shows no sign of relent at the moment.
jay98107
2/10/07 3:55:27PM
Well, rumor has it that its gonna be Rampage.
ffforgottenx
2/10/07 6:18:32PM

Posted by jay98107

Well, rumor has it that its gonna be Rampage.

beat me to it.. seeing that really surprised me.. no idea why he would say he wanted a few more fights before chuck, and then be rumored to be the next in line.. but oh well.. im stoked for it
hippysmacker
2/12/07 3:57:32PM
Here's the thread go to it. I just don't anyone to keep starting this thread again so I will pin it
waylon_o
2/12/07 5:10:07PM
I'm kinda bummed that it's gonna be Rampage already. They should give him another fight or 2 like he said he wanted. I'm an Iceman fan, but this fight could go either way. I would hate for Rampage to lose in only his 2nd UFC fight.
madmarck
2/12/07 6:06:28PM
Rumor is that it is gonna be Rampage. Guess Quintion wont get those extra 1-2 fights he wants b4 he fights chuck.
modogg
2/12/07 8:48:57PM
so if the rumors stick, like they usually do after so many sources start to report, it will be Rampage. I got to think Chuck will take him and Rampage won't win already (maybe set up for a Chuck vs Rampage III down the road). My question is, who will Chuck get next? I am guessing we'll see him take on one of the other guys mentioned on the thread, and eventually schedule him to fight Cro Cop in December or early next year. I don't know who else they would put in front of him.
dmdewar
2/13/07 1:26:57PM

Posted by Pyrenus

Chuck has already beaten the top 4 guys in the division. Rashad seem the next logical choice as far as rankings, but I don't think Dana will throw him in there with Chuck yet. But you never know. With all the new guys they are bringing in, Dana might not be babying his TUF guys as much anymore. He did put Diego up against Koscheck, which basically makes no sense at all.

While he might not have the same level of popularity as Rashad Jardine actually makes more sense right now as he has a better chance of surviving. Rashad is probably the future of the division but he is still a little too green for Liddell and I think the UFC learned its lesson about rushing fighters to title shots with GSP. Reall other than Rampage there really isnt anyone in the division that can beat Chuck at this stage of his career. They will wait on Rampage and I think they will wait on Rashad as well.
hathcock32
2/13/07 11:24:57PM
Jardine should be next......great match up exciting KO for sure. Its worth it to let Rampage get another fight under his belt
DirtySouthBoss
2/14/07 7:57:18PM

Posted by hathcock32

Jardine should be next......great match up exciting KO for sure. Its worth it to let Rampage get another fight under his belt

agreed. But I bet the UFC was kinda hoping Forrest beat Keith because although hes tough as hell the avg fan probally likes The Griff
JasperRealtor
2/15/07 9:19:36PM
Chuck vs any of the people listed = KO. I say through a nobody at him to keep him active and then Evans around New Years.
shawneth
2/16/07 9:24:32PM
They definitly should have waited for Rampages popularity to raise before they gave hime a title shot. Casual UFC fans dont know much of him. Ohwell, im excited and i know its gonna be a crazy fight. Its better then seeing Jardine get KTFO and better then Rashad constanly trying to take Liddell down then to suffer the same fate as Jardine. It was kinda the UFC only option for a competetive fight.
Someguy
2/17/07 7:20:51PM
I wonder if the UFC will be able to get their hands on that knockout footage from when Chuck fought Rampage in 03', or even want to show it. It would make for awesome hype though.
Pages: 1 [2]