Liddell rumored to fight at UFC71

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Liddell rumored to fight at UFC71
Next Page »
ffforgottenx
2/8/07 8:58:34AM
stumbled onto this when i got to work this morning..

source

who do you think they will have him fight?? rampage said he doesnt feel he is ready for chuck.. i dont think three more months will be enough time for him.. who else is there?? my guess is either rashad or keith or possibly machida.. i dont even know who else they could possibly put him up against.. but rashad and keith said they wont fight eachother for contention, so.. i dont know.. what do you think?
gspfan31
2/8/07 9:15:27AM
rashad is the only one i see, but you never know dana might make a huge signing and bring in lil nog or shogun
cowcatcher
2/8/07 9:23:58AM

Posted by gspfan31

rashad is the only one i see, but you never know dana might make a huge signing and bring in lil nog or shogun

I don't really see lil nog or shogun being next because the whole reason Rampage is here is to get the title shot. i could see a TUF guy being the one to get it, but I'm not sold that it won't be Rampage. I know he said he wanted another fight first, but the UFC won't jeopardize their big rematch for the title by putting a huge stud out there that could beat Chuck. So basically I think it's gonna be Rampage or a higher level can fighting Chuck in this one.
madmarck
2/8/07 9:57:01AM
It Cant beat Tito or Babalu. They Both got KTFO by chuck twice (each). So we will never see triologys there. Doubtfully Forrest has he hasnt been doing as well as Dana as wanted so they wont send him agasint Chuck. I dont think that want to destroy Rashads Star yet. So Jardine seems like the guy it is gonna be. Lyoto is very unlikely. Nobody even knows who he is yet. He has one fight in the UFC and it wasn't Brodcast.
Jardine seems the most likely challenger.
OchoCinco
2/8/07 10:39:00AM
I wanna see Rashad and Chuck, though it probably won't happen. I think it has to be Rashad, Jardine, or Bisping. I would love to see Brandon Vera in there but we know that ain't gonna happen.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
MMA
2/8/07 10:43:18AM
Evans is not ready for Liddell. If they do fight, he will get KTFO.

I think a lot of people jumped on the bandwagon because of Evans' devastating KO victory over some nobody. I do not think he has any advantage going in against Liddell.

Liddell has fought tougher competition, is more experienced, has dynamite hands, and a legendary sprawl. Evans needs to first beat Ortiz if he even wants to think about getting a title shot. (This would actually be a great styles match up.)
OchoCinco
2/8/07 10:49:34AM

Posted by MMA

Evans is not ready for Liddell. If they do fight, he will get KTFO.

I think a lot of people jumped on the bandwagon because of Evans' devastating KO victory over some nobody. I do not think he has any advantage going in against Liddell.

Liddell has fought tougher competition, is more experienced, has dynamite hands, and a legendary sprawl. Evans needs to first beat Ortiz if he even wants to think about getting a title shot. (This would actually be a great styles match up.)

I would love to see Evans, Jardine, Ortiz , and Bisping fight. I don't care who fights who I want to see all these fights.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
pv3Hpv3p
2/8/07 12:34:50PM
I think Jardine makes the most sense...

Keith would try and stand with Chuck, which could lead to an exciting fight (or at least another HL KO for Chuck), and he's riding high off of arguably the biggest victory of his career...

The guy seems to put in his work, and while he might not be completely deserving of a title shot, IMO he deserves the big pay day

Lyoto & Bisbing are all still a little too green in the UFC, and I'd think that Zuffa would want to build those fighters up some more....

Rashad is definitely on his way to a titleshot, but needs to fight (and win) either Tito, Babalu, or Rampage first. In my eyes, he is Chucks next real test after the Page rematch...

Things are looking really good in the LHW division.
waylon_o
2/8/07 12:44:06PM
Rashad Evans hasn't fought anyone in the top 3 or 4 yet
Pyrenus
2/8/07 1:02:33PM
Chuck has already beaten the top 4 guys in the division. Rashad seem the next logical choice as far as rankings, but I don't think Dana will throw him in there with Chuck yet. But you never know. With all the new guys they are bringing in, Dana might not be babying his TUF guys as much anymore. He did put Diego up against Koscheck, which basically makes no sense at all.
Kayo
2/8/07 1:24:10PM

Posted by gspfan31

Sometimes you do... I seriously doubt Dana would sign Shogun or Rogerio and immediately give them a title shot. I doubt the casual UFC fan even knows about Rogerio or Shogun, it just wouldn't make much sense.

I think that Machida might be next... not that he's anymore noteworthy of whatever but he does have a KO win over Franklin, wins over BJ, Bonnar, Hoger... who knows though. I doubt we'll see Rogerio, Shogun in UFC anytime soon though.
Manfred
2/8/07 1:43:11PM
Probably Jardine. Regarding Jardine/Rashad, did anyone else catch the post UFN presser?

I don't remember exactly but the reporter asked Rashad about fighting Jardine:
Rashad: I'll never fight him
Dana: You will if I tell you to
Rashad: No, I won't
Dana: Yes, you will
Rashad: Nope
Dana to reporter: Yes, he will

ffforgottenx
2/8/07 3:29:41PM

Posted by Manfred

Probably Jardine. Regarding Jardine/Rashad, did anyone else catch the post UFN presser?

I don't remember exactly but the reporter asked Rashad about fighting Jardine:
Rashad: I'll never fight him
Dana: You will if I tell you to
Rashad: No, I won't
Dana: Yes, you will
Rashad: Nope
Dana to reporter: Yes, he will

yea that was the jist of it.. rashad was asked if he would fight keith, he said no, dana said oh yes you would, he said no, dana said yes.. thats about it..
StraightLeft
2/8/07 4:02:09PM
Not sure who he'd fight but i always enjoy watching Chuck knock people out!
Pyrenus
2/8/07 5:08:04PM
Rashad said he'd jump weight classes instead of fight Jardine.
jmoooooo
2/8/07 5:35:12PM
tito/rampage wont fight, because they are friends, and dana seems ok with that..so i dont know why rashad/jardine would be any different.

GSP also said (in his interview where he talked about jumping weight classes) that he would never fight a friend either.

its fairly common among fighters.
OB_Juan
2/8/07 5:43:18PM
Jardine would be my guess. Rogan and Goldberg were both talking like Jardine vs Griffin was a #1 contender match. Plus Keith put Forrest away impressively.

Personally, I'd much rather see Jardine instead of Rashad. Watching Chuck KO wrestlers is getting old. No way anybody that loses the 1st round to the Karate Kid should be in there w/ Chuck anyhow, even if he did have a HL reel KO at the end.
velvet_pimp
2/8/07 6:14:14PM
Isnt Chuck injured right now? Ididnt think he could fight till the end of the summer and this PPV is in May. I just dont see him fighting on that card.
OB_Juan
2/8/07 6:19:05PM

Posted by velvet_pimp

Isnt Chuck injured right now? Ididnt think he could fight till the end of the summer and this PPV is in May. I just dont see him fighting on that card.

What's the injury? I haven't heard anything yet.
Reignofterror
2/8/07 6:47:13PM
If Shogun came to the UFC, I see a heated trilogy between him and Liddell brwewing.
velvet_pimp
2/8/07 8:26:08PM
Sorry I was a sucker for the ACL rumor , I did some research and seen an interview where Chuck said he was OK. Sorry for the error. I dont see who they could throw at him at this point. Bisping , Rampage , Jardine , and Rashad are not ready yet it would kill all their momentum.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/8/07 8:45:14PM
Rashad Jardine already fought no?

i wouldnt think he would mind fighting him again...Pete Sell and Smith were friends but some friends dont mind throwing down

i would fight one of my friends for money ...and im sure my friend would too

of course we would party afterwards and winner buys the beer ;)...so it would be a win/win

it will most likey be Liddell/Jardine....Rashad is still maturing his game..so is Bisping...and they're not gonna feed them to chuck if they're not ready

Jardine has asked for the fight..he thinks he is ready.....while Rashad has clearly said that in about a year..and Bisping has to prove himself still..

Jardine/Liddell....Liddell 1st or 2nd round KO
xthe_scottx
2/8/07 9:32:27PM
OB_Juan asked:
What's the injury? I haven't heard anything yet.

He slightly hurt his hand when he fought Ortiz. I don't remember the exact injury but Liddell said his hand was injured in a post UFC 66 interview.

I think the next person to fight Liddell would be Jardine. Rampage said he wants one more fight first so he probably won't be fighting Liddell in May. Also, Evans and Bisping both aren't ready yet and since Jardine recently beat Griffin, it makes the most since. With that being said, i'd still give the fight to Liddell (probably 2nd round KO) but it could still be a somewhat exciting though.
Playground_Samurai
2/8/07 10:00:00PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Rashad Jardine already fought no?

it will most likey be Liddell/Jardine....Rashad is still maturing his game..so is Bisping...and they're not gonna feed them to chuck if they're not ready

Jardine has asked for the fight..he thinks he is ready.....while Rashad has clearly said that in about a year..and Bisping has to prove himself still..

Jardine/Liddell....Liddell 1st or 2nd round KO

Yes, Rashad and Jardine have already fought. It was on the TUF series in the HW division. However, i'm pretty sure that was before they got to be friends and trained together.

It's probably really hard for UFC to pick a challenger at this point. All the fighters with the potential in the UFC to fight Chuck are either to green and haven't fought the quality opponent to earn the shot, (Rashad, Jardine, Bisbing)or have already been beaten by Chuck at least twice (Tito, Babalu, Couture). The only possible exception to this being Machida, who has wins over the likes of Rich Franklin and BJ Penn.

I myself agree with the opinion that it will Jardine. Granted, imo, I don't believe he has earned a title shot for beating the one opponent with credentials (Forrest) that he has beaten. He's fought some descent opponents, just not the top caliber ones. However, out of the people available, I think he is the most deserving. Machida is relatively unknown to most casual fans, Rashad has been fighting to many cans lately, and Bisbing really hasn't fought anybody yet. Jardine just dominated the guy that would have been Chucks next fight if he would've beaten him. In addition, Jardine could probably make for an exciting fight and it would probably be a pretty easy sell. He probably gets knocked out, but that can be pretty exciting . That's just my opinion.
cowcatcher
2/9/07 12:27:24AM
good point about jardine/chuck being an exciting fight gspfan, jardine is the easiest win for chuck right now out of the up and comers, and the UFC has to keep chuck's title intact for rampage, it makes the most sense since chuck/rashad would be a good sell as champ vs undefeated TUF winner should he get past rampage and should rashad win his next fight
Manfred
2/9/07 1:06:21AM

Posted by Pyrenus

Rashad: "Dana, I'm moving up to Heavy so I don't have to fight Jardine"
Dana: "That's fine, your fighting Cro Cop and 70"
Rashad: "Did I say moving up? I meant down"
Dana: "Oh, that's cool, we need an opponent for Anderson"
Rashad: When do you want me to fight Keith?"

ffforgottenx
2/9/07 1:45:24PM

Posted by Manfred

Posted by Pyrenus

Rashad: "Dana, I'm moving up to Heavy so I don't have to fight Jardine"
Dana: "That's fine, your fighting Cro Cop and 70"
Rashad: "Did I say moving up? I meant down"
Dana: "Oh, that's cool, we need an opponent for Anderson"
Rashad: When do you want me to fight Keith?"

hahahaha almost fell out of my chair
good stuff dude
MMA
2/9/07 2:20:50PM
Am I the only one who thinks fighters choosing not fight their friends is stupid?

They are professionals, they should not allow these kinds of things to get in the way of their jobs.
ffforgottenx
2/9/07 2:31:57PM

Posted by MMA

Am I the only one who thinks fighters choosing not fight their friends is stupid?

They are professionals, they should not allow these kinds of things to get in the way of their jobs.

no, i think its stupid myself, but i can see where they are coming from.. it would suck ass if i had to fight one of the people that ive been training with everyday for over a year.. but at the same time, business is business.. thats why i like how lindland and hendo both have said that they would fight eachother if the money was right, and they have been training together for god knows how long.. professionals.. its because of unwillingness to fight friends that we will never see a lot of potentially great matchups
SteedTheDeed
2/9/07 6:07:55PM
winner of rashad v jardine. suck it up and fight him. I would hope machida or rampage but that wont happen at 71.
Pages: [1] 2