Liddell on fedor becoming a free agent

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Liddell on fedor becoming a free agent
Aaronno9
3/21/08 12:44:15PM
I think i read somthing like this before, but according to the article it just got posted today and i couldnt find anything on a search so....

Basically liddell says he thinks randy could beat fedor and he thinks hes overrated.

Link

Its from the sun, so if your from the uk you know there not the most reliable source, but its worth a read anyways.
Manak
3/21/08 2:14:27PM
‘The Iceman’ said: “I’d like to see Fedor fight Randy because I don’t think he can beat Randy.

“He’s good on top – a good ground and pound guy but I think he’d have a real hard time getting on top of a guy like Randy.

“He’s not going to be able to throw him because Randy’s a Greco-Roman wrestler and his shot’s pretty poor so he’d have to submit him from the bottom.

Liddell claims the Russian’s failure to face any big name fighters in the last two years is proof heavyweight grappler Emelianenko is overrated.

Liddell added: ““I truly believe he’s overrated. I’ve heard he picks and chooses some of his fights.

“You’ve got to wonder why he chose to fight a guy like Matt Lindland – who weighs 185lbs!

“I heard he was negotiating with some other people who were heavyweights who would have been more of a challenge to him and he turned those down.

“He doesn’t have a great shot, he doesn’t have one punch power and to my knowledge he’s never knocked anyone out from his feet standing up.

“So I think anybody that can stop a takedown is going to be a good fight for him if they can strike.”

has chuck seen fedor fight, give or take he out-weighted lindland but he still had no prb with takin him down. he may have never KOed anyone but when u get hit by fedor u feel it, he has rocked many guys and finished by tko or sub, and fedor stood with CC (in his prime), Semmy Schilt, and Gary Goodridge all k-1, everytime fedor has been on his back he sub someone or swipped them. I really dont see randy beatin lookin at HW records and the way their matches went I dont see randy winning. Fedor does what randy does expect better ( like the nike commercial my better is better than ur better)
bullettdodger
3/21/08 3:06:13PM
It is hard to stick by him during all this contract controversy but i'll still run with Randy beating Fedor, but Geritol Submission
shawneth
3/21/08 4:36:05PM
It sounds to me like Dana White is telling Chuck Liddell what to say. "Fedor is overated" is the same shit the Dana white says. I think Dana White might be a fine puppeteer.
RMFG_187
3/21/08 4:49:18PM
good news, but i am really sick of all this liddell talk on fedor. is he dumb? or is he still dazed from Page. THERE IS NO WAY HE CAN TAKE FEDOR. Even if Fedor signs w/ UFC, whats to say this fight will happen? why would a Undisputed Champ go down a weight class to fight someone who is 1-2 in his last 3 fights>? Just dumb. If Liddell becomes champ again, they might have something there. but we still have to go through Forrest vs Page, and most likely Winner of Silva Jardine vs Page. long ways away, SO STOP STARTING SHIT CHUCK!
mrsmiley
3/21/08 4:52:41PM
Anymore I just get tired of hearing how overrated a fighter is.

Fedor's overrated.
Liddell is overrated.
Randy is overrated.
Matt Hughes was dominant in a weak division.
Anderson Silva is dominant in a weak division.

Blah,blah,blah.

Why is it that when a guy wins a title he becomes overrated, or he's only champion because the division is weak?This seems to happen alot anymore.

Maybe the divison only looks weak because the fighter is so dominant and is actualy realy good at what he does?Take anyone of those guys out of their division and at least in my opinion,their's still a lot of good competition in each class.

quezocrema0032
3/21/08 5:03:18PM

Posted by RMFG_187

why would a Undisputed Champ go down a weight class to fight someone who is 1-2 in his last 3 fights>? Just dumb.

Better question Why Wouldnt The Guy Go Down And Face The Most Domminent Light Heavy Weight Ever ?

And Chuck made Great points

silverbullet
3/21/08 5:05:56PM
I agree with Liddell 100%. Fedor has a sick GnP against the kick boxers and Japanese pro wrestlers that he fought in Pride. OMG HE SURVIVED BIG NOG'S GUARD four years ago. But so did Ricco Rodriguez and made it look easy. Listen, the last semi-decent opponent Fedor faced was Cro Cop two years ago. And by now everyone knows that Cro Cop is nothing but another kick boxer with a semi-decent sprawl. When Fedor fought Lindland it was sad to watch. Fedor's face exploded from the first punch in the face, and on the ground he looked like he was fighting a midget.

Liddell would murder Fedor on their feet, and Fedor won't be able to take/keep Liddell on the ground. PRIDE is dead because they fixed fights, allowed steroids and other bulls**t, protected their champs, and generally put on a carnival instead of a sporting event. PRIDE is dead for the same reason that the UFC went broke the first time around. Pride was a show, not a sporting event.

HW division has always been so weak that Fedor will stay top 5 for a while. But unless he fights somebody decent any time soon, he can forget about being "arguably number one MMA fighter in the world". Of course Sherdog will always have him as #1 together with Gomi.

Anybody who disagrees with me should let go of PRIDE's testicles and stop watching so much WWE.
Styles
3/21/08 6:40:28PM

Posted by silverbullet

I agree with Liddell 100%. Fedor has a sick GnP against the kick boxers and Japanese pro wrestlers that he fought in Pride. OMG HE SURVIVED BIG NOG'S GUARD four years ago. But so did Ricco Rodriguez and made it look easy. Listen, the last semi-decent opponent Fedor faced was Cro Cop two years ago. And by now everyone knows that Cro Cop is nothing but another kick boxer with a semi-decent sprawl. When Fedor fought Lindland it was sad to watch. Fedor's face exploded from the first punch in the face, and on the ground he looked like he was fighting a midget.

Liddell would murder Fedor on their feet, and Fedor won't be able to take/keep Liddell on the ground. PRIDE is dead because they fixed fights, allowed steroids and other bulls**t, protected their champs, and generally put on a carnival instead of a sporting event. PRIDE is dead for the same reason that the UFC went broke the first time around. Pride was a show, not a sporting event.

HW division has always been so weak that Fedor will stay top 5 for a while. But unless he fights somebody decent any time soon, he can forget about being "arguably number one MMA fighter in the world". Of course Sherdog will always have him as #1 together with Gomi.

Anybody who disagrees with me should let go of PRIDE's testicles and stop watching so much WWE.

Perfect and props. PS. you sig sucks!
hails
3/21/08 7:44:10PM
Is this fighter bashing?

Should this thread be removed like my two threads I started that questioned Fedors ability in the last 18 months to fighter anyone of note, and questioned Randy's record? 18 wins - 8 losses and 7 wins coming by way of decision.

Aaronno9
3/21/08 8:17:20PM
The difference is, this isn't just me questioning fedors abilities, its one of the most recognized fighters in the world. His opinion holds more water than that of an mma fan on forum.
Pookie
3/21/08 8:18:46PM
Chucks quote makes it seem like hes never actually seen him fight, and that hes looking at his record on a piece of paper.
NatedawgThaM
3/21/08 9:43:49PM

Posted by Pookie

Chucks quote makes it seem like hes never actually seen him fight, and that hes looking at his record on a piece of paper.

Agreed, Chuck should watch a Fedor fight or SHUT THE HECK UP!!!!

Fedor has rocked people with twice the chin of Liddell. He didn't "GNP" Cro Cop, he beat Cro Cop on the feet, who is a legendary Kickboxer!!!! When Liddell said "Anybody who can strike can beat him." CRO COP WOULD MURDER LIDDELL IN A K-1 FIGHT!!! So if Cro Cop can't even handle Fedor on the feet, how would Liddell?

I keep going back and forth with who I'm picking at 85 based on who I hate more. Right now I'm changing to Rashad by decision. LIDDELL WATCH A FREAKIN FEDOR FIGHT!!!!
Manak
3/22/08 2:15:03AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Posted by Pookie

Agreed, Chuck should watch a Fedor fight or SHUT THE HECK UP!!!!

Fedor has rocked people with twice the chin of Liddell. He didn't "GNP" Cro Cop, he beat Cro Cop on the feet, who is a legendary Kickboxer!!!! When Liddell said "Anybody who can strike can beat him." CRO COP WOULD MURDER LIDDELL IN A K-1 FIGHT!!! So if Cro Cop can't even handle Fedor on the feet, how would Liddell?

I keep going back and forth with who I'm picking at 85 based on who I hate more. Right now I'm changing to Rashad by decision. LIDDELL WATCH A FREAKIN FEDOR FIGHT!!!!

yea i really dont think chuck has seen a fedor fight unless he is been told to say this
cmill21
3/22/08 2:29:14AM
I said this before the Kongo Herring fight, Liddell shoulden't be commenting or worried about Fedor, or anyone other then Rashad for that matter. Rashad took this fight, shows me he thinks he can win, if I'm Liddell I'm doing everything possible to make sure that doesn't happen, and yet he has time to even listen to an interview about Fedor?
bls1919
3/22/08 3:18:28AM
Its hard to put the guy who you think is the best, amongst the best when he wont fight the best.?..? does that makes sense? So i see why he would pick randy in the fight. in his last fights Randy fought the best in MMA, while Fedor has fought "feak show" Choi and Matt "the law" Winless (much of his future in MMA)
Pookie
3/22/08 4:14:31AM
Gonzaga and Sylvia (while having a back that needed surgery) is hardly the best.

And tbqh i think

Hunt, Lindland, and Choi is harder competition than that.

Not saying its the type of competition he should be fighting, but on the same token Couture has been having very easy fights as well.
Near07
3/22/08 8:59:08PM
In your opion who is considered the "best"?? tbqh I don't think Hunt, Lindland, and Choi is harder competition than who Randy has fought. Lindland is 50 pounds lighter than Fedor, Choi is bigger but come on, the guy has fought 2 fiights, he is not skilled and if he wasn't 12 feet tall, you would never have heard of him. Can't say nothing about Hunt... How are Randy's fight been easy lol Big Tim i wouldnd't think of as easy, he is 24-4, and Randy moved up to heavyweight and schooled him for 5 rounds. Gonzaga had just kicked Cro Cops head off his shoulders, so he wasn't no can. Explain who has been an easy fight for Randy....
Pookie
3/22/08 9:10:32PM

Posted by Near07

In your opion who is considered the "best"?? tbqh I don't think Hunt, Lindland, and Choi is harder competition than who Randy has fought. Lindland is 50 pounds lighter than Fedor, Choi is bigger but come on, the guy has fought 2 fiights, he is not skilled and if he wasn't 12 feet tall, you would never have heard of him. Can't say nothing about Hunt... How are Randy's fight been easy lol Big Tim i wouldnd't think of as easy, he is 24-4, and Randy moved up to heavyweight and schooled him for 5 rounds. Gonzaga had just kicked Cro Cops head off his shoulders, so he wasn't no can. Explain who has been an easy fight for Randy....

Lindland was 15 pounds lighter than fedor not 50. And remember at 205 lindland gave rampage a much harder fight than dan henderson or chuck liddell did. This was after rampage was training under Ibarra and got his life and mind on track.

Choi represents essentially the same attributes as Sylvia does. Size, reach, and good stand-up. The exception is that choi is harder to force down to the ground (when sylvia needed back surgery) and has much better stand-up. He was a k-1 champion... and might be the hardest puncher on the planet. Re-affirmed by jerome Lebanner...

And hunt is well hunt... IMO hunt would do quite well against the majority of the division... its just hes been put into alot of stylistically bad matches for him.

Gonzaga may have just kicked off cro-cop's head but that only means so much. It was a quality win but it has been shown since that Gonzaga is niether mentally prepared or physically prepared to compete with the upper echelons in the sport. The cro-cop he defeated wasnt the cro-cop thats a perennial Top5 HW.

BIGKAT
3/23/08 1:59:56AM

Posted by silverbullet

Props!!! 100% Agree!!!
BIGKAT
3/23/08 2:03:10AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Posted by Pookie

CRO COP WOULD MURDER LIDDELL IN A K-1 FIGHT!!!

Yeaaaaa, Chuck wouldn't know what to do in a kickboxing match, huh?
NatedawgThaM
3/23/08 2:07:58AM
Chuck looks great in MMA!!!! But in K-1 he'd be one of the worst kickboxers that fight. Because in the UFC he's mostly fought wrestlers with semi-decent stand up so he can sprawl and beat them on the feet with power. But Chuck can't block a kick worth crap!!! Which is why he's lose horrible in K-1.

They'd out class him on the feet with actual skill and technique. His power couldn't really do much except the usual punchers chance. K-1 & MMA are TOTALLY different sports. A cage & a ring are TOTALLY different. Cro Cop would trap him in a corner and kick him out.
Pookie
3/23/08 4:33:54AM
Yeah chuck honestly wouldnt do all that well in k-1. Not to trash his skill or anything, but its an entirely different beast and if he fought any of the top guys he really would get destroyed.
WhiteWidow
3/23/08 4:42:24AM
id bet my house on Fedor tapping Liddell in the 1st round or TKO by GnP
Throwdown
3/28/08 1:19:44PM

Posted by silverbullet

I really agree with this... and while I understand these guys are trying to make lots of money (understandably to a point) what happened to loving to fight? what happened to proving you are the best? What happened to Fedor and Randy wanting to go down in history as the best...

Honestly, it just isn't the case anymore. And I guess it can happen to anyone in professional sports, and you can't blame them when they see the promoters making all the money...

ah you are all right... this is beating a dead horse.
mrsmiley
3/28/08 9:24:27PM
Man I have never herd Fedor speak an ill word of Liddell and the "iceman" talks all this crap.It doesn't seem like he's speaking from the heart.It seems like he's speaking from a prompter card.