How does Liddell get back into contention?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » How does Liddell get back into contention?
Next Page »
Biggz
9/8/08 7:28:28PM
how does liddell get back into title contention? how many wins and against who does he need to get to have another #1 contender fight. please no posts about chuck needing to retire. i think a fight between Jardine (win or lose against Vera) might make the most sense, being that Wandy vs Rampage is mostly a done deal, or is he lucky enough to get Machida off a loss? what happens?
MALICE
9/8/08 7:33:25PM
Shogun, Machida, Forrest (EDIT, if by some chance he loses the title in the future making him eligible to fight Chuck without it being a title fight.) , Wanderlei, Rampage

I say he needs to convincingly beat 2 fighters from the list above, and then win a rematch against Rashad. That would put him back in title contention.
postman
9/8/08 7:38:07PM

Posted by xxMALICExx

Shogun, Machida, Forrest, Wanderlei, Rampage

I say he needs to beat 2 fighters from the list above, and then win a rematch against Rashad. That would put him back in title contention.

If he beat Forrest then he would be the champ.
MALICE
9/8/08 7:40:17PM

Posted by postman

Posted by xxMALICExx

I say he needs to beat 2 fighters from the list above, and then win a rematch against Rashad. That would put him back in title contention.

For the nit pickers who cannot think outside the box, I will edit my above post!!!
Rush
9/8/08 7:40:33PM
He needs to change his approach to fighting

I think he will have to fight two gatekeeper level fighters and beat them convincingly (and do it within <6 month time)

Beat a top 5 fighter

pmeout
9/8/08 7:48:22PM
I think the UFC planned on having the loser of chuck vs. rashad fight the loser of franklin vs hamel. So I would bet on Chuck vs hamel. Which I think is a bad match up for Hamel.
bojangalz
9/8/08 7:48:34PM
How does Liddell get back into contention???

He could start by seeing if he still fits under Dana's desk.
Biggz
9/8/08 7:50:19PM
i just think its his style. everyone has figured out how to beat him. you know he is going to throw big looping punches and those big punches leave him exposed. (i know thats also how be got famous and most of his wins) but when those big punches don't knock the hell out of his opponent, he leaves himself very open. it happened against Rashad and Rampage. even though his ground game is very underated, you know he is not going to shoot in and take you down.
like mentioned earlier, maybe a style change is in order....?
pmeout
9/8/08 7:50:59PM

Posted by pmeout

I think the UFC planned on having the loser of chuck vs. rashad fight the loser of franklin vs hamel. So I would bet on Chuck vs hamel. Which I think is a bad match up for Hamel.

Typical Liberal hater
MFOTHER
9/8/08 7:55:12PM
he better start hanging out with these guys...

Diamondback2
9/8/08 8:24:36PM
I'm suprised no one has really mentioned this yet (that i know of) but what about a move to HW.

Think about it:

HW is the weakest division without a doubt.

Look at ALL the top contenders:

Randy (Champ): Would be a HUGGGGEEEE fight, obviously a couple wins would be required if Randy retains his belt. But i honestly believe Chuck would still win that fight. But then again, it's f-ing Couture so who knows.

Nog (Interm Champ): Bad matchup IMO. Nog is the Terminator. 'Nuff said

Mir (#1 Contender, sort of): A cakewalk for Chuck. Unless Mir could clinch and pull guard. I love Mir but it'd take chuck 10 times out of 10.

Brock (The other #1 contender...): I want to see the Nov matchup with Couture first before i totally could come to a conclusion. 3 fights and we still really have no idea what his standup is like if he can't score a TD. Cool fight tho

Werdum: Sub-par wrestling and striking. You aiin't getting Chuck down unless u stun him, or Ko him....

Gonzaga: Again, a cool matchup. The guy wrecked Cro Cop then got raped by Werdum.... i give up on trying to guess how his fights will go.

Kongo: The guy beat thew hell out of Cro Cop than lost to HH. I'm seeing a pattern....

I mean he could have a title shot in like 2 fights easy. In LHW he could need about 2-3 MIN.

And as for a style change, who else besides me thinks Chuck could be an awsome G-N-P'er against certain opponents? I think it could add a HUGE weapon to his aresnal!
postman
9/8/08 8:37:56PM

Posted by xxMALICExx

Posted by postman

Posted by xxMALICExx

For the nit pickers who cannot think outside the box, I will edit my above post!!!

How is that nit picking the question was how does Liddell get back into contention? If he beats the Champ then he is the Champ simple as that. Don't get upset due to the fact that you made a mistake in your post. Other then that I agreed with what you said.
jae_1833
9/8/08 11:37:20PM
Well since his fight with Ortiz he has gone 1-3....this is NOT a man who is 2-3 fights away from the title anymore IMO. I would say 5 in a row to even get back into contention.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
9/9/08 12:00:18AM
2/3 win against quality opponents.
i think lidell should go out there trying to take people down and use gnp . mix it up like against wandy in the 3rd round.
handstrong
9/9/08 12:17:20AM
Liddell will be out of the game before he beats another 3 fighters in a row. You can only give him so many title shots in one lifetime. As much as people don't want to admit it, he IS on a decline. He can no longer dominate the entire division like he did 5 years ago. It's way too stacked, and he's getting a little too old. Look at the top 5 LHW's... Jackson, Griffin, Machida, Thiago Silva, Evans. Does anyone realisticly think Liddell could get through even 2 of these guys in row, at this point in his career? He's gotten knocked out twice by jackson and once by Evans in like a 5 fight span. Plus a loss to Jardine... And that beer gut isn't getting any smaller.
CantAndleDaRiddum
9/9/08 2:01:05AM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

2/3 win against quality opponents.
i think lidell should go out there trying to take people down and use gnp . mix it up like against wandy in the 3rd round.

i think its funny & sad on chucks part that to refer to him mixing his game plan up over the last few years we can only get one round from all fo his fights to refer to
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
9/9/08 2:14:09AM

Posted by handstrong

Liddell will be out of the game before he beats another 3 fighters in a row. You can only give him so many title shots in one lifetime. As much as people don't want to admit it, he IS on a decline. He can no longer dominate the entire division like he did 5 years ago. It's way too stacked, and he's getting a little too old. Look at the top 5 LHW's... Jackson, Griffin, Machida, Thiago Silva, Evans. Does anyone realisticly think Liddell could get through even 2 of these guys in row, at this point in his career? He's gotten knocked out twice by jackson and once by Evans in like a 5 fight span. Plus a loss to Jardine... And that beer gut isn't getting any smaller.

more like 12 fight span and the first rampage fight , he knocked him out? hackleman threw in the towel after rampage mounted him. there was no knockout . chuck would murder thiago silva.
haggiswashere
9/9/08 3:02:38AM
i don't think jardine would be a good rematch. every guy has a camp that gives him trouble. Franklin and Rampage have chute box, and i think liddells is jacksons fight team. i want him to move to heavyweight and try his luck there. i love chuck but i don't see him getting back to the top at light heavyweight.
haggiswashere
9/9/08 3:05:07AM

Posted by handstrong

i could see him beating silva and griffin but the rest doesn't seem likely
fonduktoe
9/9/08 3:17:40AM

Posted by handstrong

more like 12 fight span and the first rampage fight , he knocked him out? hackleman threw in the towel after rampage mounted him. there was no knockout . chuck would murder thiago silva.

lets not get picky here
i thought chuck would murder "sugar"
hodge
9/9/08 1:43:48PM
If he beats Reese Andy and rings his good pal Dana he should get the winner of Rashad vs Griffin
cowcatcher
9/9/08 1:48:04PM
i think hes going to have to string together 3 wins, one of them being a top contender, and those wins will have to be KOs, other than that there isnt a lot he can do with his recent losses and with so many really good fighters at LHW.
emfleek
9/9/08 1:59:35PM
I don't see Chuck EVER getting a title shot again unless he moves up to HW and gets 2 wins under his belt.

I think he's done what he's going to do as a LHW.
emfleek
9/9/08 2:01:28PM

Posted by MFOTHER

he better start hanging out with these guys...

That's great!!! Props.
cowcatcher
9/9/08 2:01:53PM

Posted by emfleek

I don't see Chuck EVER getting a title shot again unless he moves up to HW and gets 2 wins under his belt.

I think he's done what he's going to do as a LHW.

thats a good point, someone said it earlier too and i didnt comment, but HW might be the one place chuck can go to get any title shot now.
Bowen50
9/9/08 3:51:53PM
i think Liddell is on his way out. the LHW division is way too stacked for him to get 3 wins in a row to become a contender again. i also think he'd have little success as a HW because he is just too undersized to fight a lot of the guys in that division like Lesnar, Kongo, and Werdum. i think his next fight will probably be against Vera after Vera fights Jardine. Vera will most likely be the one to put Chuck in the retirement home.
prozacnation1978
9/9/08 5:31:06PM
lidell has lost 3 of 4 now
even with two big wins that still should not be enough
he needs 3 big ones by the time that happens plus title shot we are looking at a year and a half at the least

he needs to fight shogun, fight thiago silva or machida,
and rematch with rampage or jardine
handstrong
9/9/08 11:10:24PM

Posted by handstrong

Excuse me... Okay, then just look at his last 4 fights. He got knocked out twice, lost a decision to Jardine, and took a decision over Silva. How do you know he would murder Silva? Has the fight happened? You probably thought he would murder Evans too, and that didn't work out too well for him. Look at the facts. Also, there's a reason why people throw in towels. It usually means their boy is done.
Wolfenstein
9/10/08 1:47:52AM
Three big wins and they would give Chuck a title shot. Possibly two wins if he were able to beat Anderson Silva. The UFC cold build lot of hype behind Chuck beating the top MW of the world. Then a fight with the loser of the Rashad vs Forrest fight.

If he moved to Heavyweight he could possibly get a shot with two big wins, especially if Randy comes away with the belt when all is said and done.

JohnnyNapalm
9/10/08 3:04:28AM
Chuck is legend.

But at 38 and with all that he's been through over the years + injuries and you really gotta stop thinking he's going to go back to scratch and hunt for a title shot.

2 ways he could go. The Bas Rutten clean break route or the Ken Shamrock continuous downward spiral path to oblivion. Let's hope Chuck follows Bas' lead.
Pages: [1] 2