The LHW conundrum ???

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » The LHW conundrum ???
keith-hackney1
12/29/08 3:39:13PM
It seems to me that the LHW division is the most followed weight division in the whole of the UFC. Most of the UFC's talent are in the hands of this division waiting for their all anticipated title shots... That seem to get replaced with the next big money making product that dana white can sell the MMA public !!

Rampage beats chuck, gets the title, rampage defends against hendo, rampage looses to griffin.
Forrest gets the belt, first defence looses to rashad. Now rashad hold the belt.
IMO - Rashad deserves to be there, he's undefeated and highly underated. Lets be honest, chuck liddell is considered as the greatest LHW in UFC history, fallen to a brutal ko by the now champion of the world in rashad evans. An impressive 3rd round tko of griffin who outclassed the ever dangerous shogun and rampage to be in there with sugar rashad, from all this there is no doubt in my mind thses two guys are top of that division right now.

Underneath them, you have wanderlei, rampage, machida, Thiago silva, chuck liddell, jardine, griffin - after just loosing the belt, and even A silva now he's up a division looking for the next test......

Rashad evans: 8-0-1 in his near perfect UFC career. A brutal ko over liddell and a 3rd round tko of the champion in griffin, rashad is now top of the pile and deserves to be there.
..................................................................................................................................
Griffin: 7-3 in his UFC career. After submitting the next best LHW in ex pridefc vet shogun, forrest earned a shot at rampage, after 5 blitzing rounds walked away with the title. Well deserved in my opinion. Having just lost to rashad, forrest should still be in the top 2or 3rd place depending who he fights next should determine rashads first defence spot.
...................................................................................................................................
Wandy: 2-4 in his current quest for the UFC belt. with earlier attempts in the UFC, the axe murderer's return to the octagon has shadowed a ko over jardine, a ko loss to quinton and a decision loss to the most dominant LHW in UFC history, its clear that his dreams of fighting for the title are off, at least for now.
..................................................................................................................................
Rampage: 4-1 in his current quest back to the title it seems now after a huge ko win over the axe murderer. This win over wandy definatively puts him right back in the number two or three seat for redemption at his former title.
Jardine: 6-3 in his UFC career. In his last three fights, he has a loss to wandy and two split decision wins over liddell and vera who both at this point shouldn't be anywhere in the title picture. keith's redemption shot like liddell should be a mile off by now. Theres no way jardine is anywhere near the title race after his last three outings in the octagon.
....................................................................................................................................
Machida: 5-0 in his UFC title quest. Some say this guy is over rated ?? But, i say he is just amazing to watch, he brings the best game plan to each fight and executes it well. With notable UFC victories over Nakamura, sokoudjou and the late tito ortiz, machida should be in the top 5 in the expectation that one or two more notable wins should earn him his long awaited title shot.
......................................................................................................................................
Thiago silva: 4-0 in his UFC record with all his fights ending before the bell of round two. Very impressive for a young kid, but not too impressive for me, in order for this guy to fight for a belt, i wanna see him finish or unanimously beat two top 6 LHW contenders. There's plenty of them to say. I personally don't see this guy being able to deal with the speed of his up and coming bout with Lyoto.
But saying that, i didn't see any way mir could beat Nog, but he did. Maybe thiago is a future contender some where down the line, but not just yet.
.......................................................................................................................................
Chuck liddell: 16-5 in his UFC show case. Liddell for sure was a dominant breed in this division. With all the talent in there now, its hard to see where chuck goes from his last 4 performances. 1-3 in his last four bouts including 2 huge ko losses and a decision victory over a once was dominant wanderlei silva. I'm not convinced chuck still has it anymore. He's got to be considered as way outside the belt race by now. I want chuck to fight some one like luiz arthur cain- (a new breed up and comer)- thats chucks redemption fight of wether or not he poses a threat to the top end of that division anymore. Make or break time for liddell.
.......................................................................................................................................
Anderson silva: No description needed, this guy is the ultimate weapon who as yet shows no sign of weakness in his perfect 8-0 UFC record. This guy could probably have the rights to choose where he goes next in the LHW division, seen as he's cleaned out the MW division and there's no one left to challenge him. who knows what's next for silva ??

So you got all the fighters, now explain the needed process...
This is the way i see it ....

Rashad- the Champion

With rampages ko of silva after loosing the belt, he should fight rashad next for the title.

Forrest -(just lost title) vs machida/silva winner or even A.silva for the next title shot.

Maybe Chuck liddell vs cain or sokoudjou- time for liddell to step up and prove he's still dangerous by beating a dangerous fighter.

As for jardine.. Maybe the winner Machida/silva or again .. A.silva. Jardine would be first to take the opportunity of facing A.silva in his second LHW outing. Would make a great main event.

Then there is Wanderlei. Pit him against vera - make or break time again for both fighters. Would be an interesting match up.

... Discuss guys, post up the fights that you think make sense out of all these fighters loitering around the UFC LHW division.
Cheers..

ohiostate1016
12/29/08 3:44:55PM
Sokoudjou isn't in the UFC anymore, and Vera is fighting Mike Patt in Columbus.

Anderson is staying at 185 for now, because there are a few more guys that he can run through (Leites, Maia, Bisping).

I think that we'll see Rashad vs. Rampage for the title, if the UFC wants to wait until July at 100 before either of those guys fights.

If they want to put Forrest in there soon, though, they'll have him fight against either Chuck or Jardine at UFC 96 in Columbus (he was born in Columbus).

The person that doesn't face Forrest in Columbus will probably face Luiz Cane (probably will be Jardine vs. Cane, maybe Forrest vs. Chuck).

Thiago Silva and Lyoto Machida are fighting on the GSP/Penn card, and the winner gets a title shot against the winner of Rashad/Rampage (probably won't be until the end of 09).
JimiMak
12/29/08 3:52:54PM
I just hope they give Machida his shot after ko'ing Thiago. Then he'll settle all of this. Most of the top guys have beat each other and it's the tightest div in the UFC if not the world right now. Machida/champion is the match I can't wait for. He'll defend at least a cpl times (much as I believe in him, I'm not stupid enuf to think in this tight of a div that anyone will hold it for years, but he can win and defend a good few times before he gets figured out for the first time). Just look at the diff between teh way he treated Tito like a child and the way Rashad only got the tie because of fence grabbing.
postman
12/29/08 3:56:37PM
Shogun will be back he will make big waves for anyone.