What LHW would do the best at HW in the ufc?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » What LHW would do the best at HW in the ufc?
POLL: Who would do the best?
Rampage Jackson 37% (16)
Chuck Liddell 37% (16)
Wanderlei Silva 0% (0)
Mauricio Shogun Rua 2% (1)
Forrest Griffin 16% (7)
Lyoto Machida 7% (3)
Pookie
5/7/08 7:26:04PM
Hypothetically speaking, which fighter if they moved up from 205 would do the best in the HW division.
seanfu
5/7/08 7:33:56PM
I've heard that both Silva and Rua are undersized 205ers as it is. Chuck probably wouldn't because his power wouldn't affect bigger opponents as much as he is used to with his style.

Griffin could but is used to grinding people down and at heavyweight probably couldn't be physically imposing.

Rampage is used to overpowering opponents as well. (slams/ upperbody takedowns)

I say Machida because he has fought as a heavyweight before (as has Griffin) but uses his amazingly boring style to his advantage and picks people apart.
Pookie
5/7/08 7:37:03PM
Personally i think it would be Machida. Footwork is the key factor.
Since the fighters would now become some of the smallest in the weight class, mobility and evasiveness would be key. Machida would be able to fight the HW fighters in the same manner he fights LHW, sticking and moving, since his quickness will be amplified in the bigger slower hw division.

fighters like Rampage, Chuck and Griffin are big dudes and use their physicality and strength to their advantage when they fight(rampages constant pressure and slams, chucks ability to not get taken down and to get back up is dependent on his strength and forrest cuts from 240),but now there fighting stronger bigger people and they would have to re-arrange their strategy and fight like different fighters IMO.

Wandy and shogun i fear would be too small, shogun especially.

grappler0000
5/7/08 8:07:12PM

Posted by Pookie

Since the fighters would now become some of the smallest in the weight class, mobility and evasiveness would be key. Machida would be able to fight the HW fighters in the same manner he fights LHW, sticking and moving, since his quickness will be amplified in the bigger slower hw division.

fighters like Rampage, Chuck and Griffin are big dudes and use their physicality and strength to their advantage when they fight(rampages constant pressure and slams, chucks ability to not get taken down and to get back up is dependent on his strength and forrest cuts from 240),but now there fighting stronger bigger people and they would have to re-arrange their strategy and fight like different fighters IMO.

tylerlee123
5/7/08 8:22:52PM
I belive Shogun and Silva would be able to make the jump to heavyweight no problem, I think Liddell would have a better run than both of them though
SmileR
5/7/08 8:46:40PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Pookie

too
ohiostate1016
5/7/08 11:39:43PM
B.J. Penn could fight heavyweight.
Twenty20Dollars
5/7/08 11:54:30PM
chucky would do good in a weak HW division. prolly could challenge for the title at this point cus of the weakness of HW.
SpiderSilva
5/8/08 12:39:04AM
ammm Ill go with Rashad Evans as he did win TUF HW
browneye
5/8/08 9:16:56AM
Chuck could probably do the best as Heavyweight he has already talked about going to Heavyweight to fight Noguira
fullerene
5/8/08 10:50:57AM
I like the argument that Pookie made for Machida, but I'm still voting Rampage based on things that are more tangible:
1. He is one of the biggest guys on the list; the reason they have weight classes is in recognition that size matters. He would be giving up less in this dept than most
2. He has the best power and wrestling I think on the list (maybe Chuck) and there are not too many HWs (I don't think Nog for example) who would make him work off his back. None of the guys listed prefers to work from the guard, so avoiding getting put there by bigger HWs is key to being successful
3. He is the best LHW in the group at the moment.
4. He already beat two fighters who were very successful HWs in Igor Vovchanchn and Kevin Randleman earlier in his career.
CantAndleDaRiddum
5/8/08 1:18:29PM
i voted chuck, but would love to see rampage go for it
pimpcane_69
5/8/08 6:40:45PM
I think Rampage would do best moving up, with his sheer strength right now, plus with the added muscle he would get with those extra pounds he would be a beast, let me rephrase that, an even bigger beast than he is right now!!!
cowcatcher
5/8/08 7:16:47PM
chuck or machida, its a toss up for me. chucks power should be affected too much by the move up, he hits hard if youre 205 or 265, and it would be nice to see what kind of a beer gut hed carry at HW. machida is a tough style matchup for anyone at any weight, so i dont see him having major problems with a move up, plus both guys are big enough to not have the trouble i could see the former chute box guys having.
mrsmiley
5/8/08 7:17:50PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

ammm Ill go with Rashad Evans as he did win TUF HW

I was thinking the same thing.Though he said heavy weight was a bit much for him,it would be interesting to see.
ButterBalls
5/8/08 10:21:20PM

Posted by Pookie

I just want to point out here that Shogun and Wand both did pretty well in the OWGP's in Pride. I also want to bring up the fact that when Silva fought CroCop in the GP I'm pretty sure he weighed in heavier than Mirko did. I don't think putting on pounds is a problem for either of them.
Pookie
5/9/08 11:48:11AM

Posted by ButterBalls

Posted by Pookie

I just want to point out here that Shogun and Wand both did pretty well in the OWGP's in Pride. I also want to bring up the fact that when Silva fought CroCop in the GP I'm pretty sure he weighed in heavier than Mirko did. I don't think putting on pounds is a problem for either of them.

very good point