The "let's just be friends" thread

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » The "let's just be friends" thread
warglory
9/28/11 5:19:38PM
So I don't know how many of you are Don Juan's with the ladies, but I definitely have a hit or miss record, and I'm not afraid to admit it. Some gambles work, some don't, but I have to say this last girl that sprang this line on me, I was really into. After hanging out a lot, I finally asked her if she wanted to go out on a legit date, and she was actually really straight forward with me, saying that she liked us the way we were right now, which is SO much better than the sugar coated BS some girls feed to you with all the excuses in the book, instead of just flat out saying their reason. The rejection still sucks, but at least it didn't devolve into that weird, sh!tty vibe you get from girls after you break the question. Anyway, this thread goes out to all the dudes and lasses who have been hit with the "let's just be friends" tag. Raise a beer my friends!

cowcatcher
9/28/11 5:24:34PM
You've got to swing to get a hit.
DeadHead988
9/28/11 6:20:52PM
I've got a record with pretty much nothing but misses. I thought I had a real shot recently, but then yesterday I got the line. So now I'm posting in this thread.
warglory
9/28/11 6:21:05PM
Very true sir, no regrets here.
warglory
9/28/11 6:23:22PM

Posted by DeadHead988

I've got a record with pretty much nothing but misses. I thought I had a real shot recently, but then yesterday I got the line. So now I'm posting in this thread.

warglory
9/28/11 6:27:53PM
I remember one time back when I was much younger, I got the line x10. I said my piece, and I didn't hear back from the girl for a damn week. I was a train wreck with my imagination playing out every scenario imaginable. In the end, I ended up apologizing to HER for being inconsiderate! God I was a douche bag back then. Now I realize that chick was kind of a bitch, and there's nothing to be ashamed of for being a man.
KungFuMaster
9/28/11 6:47:01PM
Warglory, from my experience, when a girl simply wants to be friends - it is usually the case she is already with someone else.

The biggest miss of my life came in high school. This girl and I were always in the same classes because we have honors and AP classes together. Well, for nearly four years I would always smile at her but never had the courage to actually strike up a conversation with her...

That is until the beginning of our senior year - I decided to start talking to her about homework and assignments. There was obviously good tension between us.

Anyway, to my surprise, she showed up for my guitar recital without me asking her. I finally gathered the courage to ask her to the prom. She basically told me she was going to the prom with someone who already asked her before me. And finally at the end of the year, I decided to ask her out to the movies. She told me we were better off as friends.

I later found out she was already with someone from another school.

So the moral of the story is, if you see something you want - go for it immediately before the opportunity slips away.
Poor_Franklin
9/28/11 6:49:52PM

reminds me of a guy who comes to the bar I work at. We say he has what Don Ready calls the"Buckshot Approach" because he just keeps firing until he hits something!

keep your heads up my brothers! & always take these words of advice: If you find a woman who smokes just as much pot as you do, keep her!
Pookie
9/28/11 7:48:08PM
Too early is better than too late.

I learned this lesson as a toddler. Once, this bad kid came up and stole me cookies. And then he ate them in front of my face. The fucking Jerk. And so i learned, try to eat your cookies fast. Because some other asshole is probably just as hungry, and more willing to take your cookies than you are his.
warglory
9/28/11 8:47:08PM

Posted by Pookie

I learned this lesson as a toddler. Once, this bad kid came up and stole me cookies. And then he ate them in front of my face. The fucking Jerk. And so i learned, try to eat your cookies fast. Because some other asshole is probably just as hungry, and more willing to take your cookies than you are his.

I'm in tears man, that is hilarious.
warglory
9/28/11 8:49:50PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Warglory, from my experience, when a girl simply wants to be friends - it is usually the case she is already with someone else.

The biggest miss of my life came in high school. This girl and I were always in the same classes because we have honors and AP classes together. Well, for nearly four years I would always smile at her but never had the courage to actually strike up a conversation with her...

That is until the beginning of our senior year - I decided to start talking to her about homework and assignments. There was obviously good tension between us.

Anyway, to my surprise, she showed up for my guitar recital without me asking her. I finally gathered the courage to ask her to the prom. She basically told me she was going to the prom with someone who already asked her before me. And finally at the end of the year, I decided to ask her out to the movies. She told me we were better off as friends.

I later found out she was already with someone from another school.

So the moral of the story is, if you see something you want - go for it immediately before the opportunity slips away.

In this case, she actually just got divorced, so I highly doubt she is with anyone else. The thing is, she divorced him on fairly good terms and took it remarkably well. We were friends before they broke up, and she casually told me they were breaking up. I had never been presented with this kind of situation before, so I really had idea when to ask so after several weeks of hanging out, I just dropped the bomb. hehe
kopower
9/28/11 11:19:31PM
The one I remember was a girl from college. We had a few classes together and hung out at parties occasionally. Back then, I was really shy, so it took a lot to ask a girl out or for her phone number. I finally built up the courage to ask her out to a movie and dinner. She said yes, and we planned the outing a week later. The day finally came, and I was dressed up and ready to go. I called her saying I was about to leave, and she said she completely forgot about it and had other plans. I was crushed. I don't know if it was at that moment that I said f@ck it, and wasn't going to be a shy b;tch anymore or what. After awhile, I finally came to the realization that the girl was too high on herself, and that wasn't the type of person I wanted. Her loss.

DeadHead988
9/29/11 12:26:56AM

Posted by kopower

The one I remember was a girl from college. We had a few classes together and hung out at parties occasionally. Back then, I was really shy, so it took a lot to ask a girl out or for her phone number. I finally built up the courage to ask her out to a movie and dinner. She said yes, and we planned the outing a week later. The day finally came, and I was dressed up and ready to go. I called her saying I was about to leave, and she said she completely forgot about it and had other plans. I was crushed. I don't know if it was at that moment that I said f@ck it, and wasn't going to be a shy b;tch anymore or what. After awhile, I finally came to the realization that the girl was too high on herself, and that wasn't the type of person I wanted. Her loss.

Adrenaline
9/29/11 12:55:36AM

Posted by Pookie

Was this the culprit??
TeamDEY
9/29/11 7:50:52AM
I like the way we are = Hell no... but in a nice way
scoozna
9/29/11 8:57:50AM
This happened to me back in college. It was probably for the best, because she
ended up marrying they guy she was with (whom I thought she was about to dump).

That guy ended up becoming an eye surgeon and joined the millitary and spent
several years fixing up soldiers in Afghanistan. So I was not only rejected,
but out classed as well!
Pskinner_mma314
9/29/11 12:55:03PM
dated 2 girls at once back when i was 18, keyword being dated. hooked up with both at one point, both were models, now I shoulda known gettin that lucky would have a catch....but as I said, I was 18. the one that lived 9 hours away from me said she wanted to be my girlfriend, the one that lived 9 minutes from me couldnt make a decision......somewhere through the wire they found out about eachother.
then the oh so famous line came from both of their mouths.....lets just be friends
kopower
9/29/11 1:44:40PM

Posted by scoozna

This happened to me back in college. It was probably for the best, because she
ended up marrying they guy she was with (whom I thought she was about to dump).

That guy ended up becoming an eye surgeon and joined the millitary and spent
several years fixing up soldiers in Afghanistan. So I was not only rejected,
but out classed as well!

Ouch....
BlueSkiesBurn
9/30/11 5:06:01PM
You guys could always do what I do, never bring it up and let them ask you out. I actually find that it works quite well for me.

Girls are kind of astounded that I never ask them out or text them even though I have their number. One girl straight out told me that it was pissing her off because she knew I was staring at her, I had her number, and I never used it. She said she finally had to make up some BS reason to get me to talk to her. She's pretty hot, too, so it was a nice role reversal.

The hot girl got upset with me because I wasn't texting her.
Aether
9/30/11 8:24:49PM
I'm not slick enough to just pick up girls, I weasel my way in from the friendship angle. lol.

I'm not really a relationship guy, I like being alone usually, but I'm the kind of person who, when I want something, I really go after it relentlessly. I got the "let's just be friends" once and basically I just kept pursuing her until she caved lol. I was on/off with her for a few years, and now we live in different cities unfortunately.