Did Lesnar's win solidify him as the number 1 HW or hinder his approach to the top?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Did Lesnar's win solidify him as the number 1 HW or hinder his approach to the top?
POLL: Did Lesnar's win cement him as the number 1 HW?
Yup, no arguments from me! 77% (30)
No!! He got dropped and a good striker could have finished him. 23% (9)
SmileR
7/4/10 11:11:17AM
Lesnar won. No one can argue with that fact, but did his win do more for his reputation or allow his critics to pick holes in his reputation as a fighter?

Cases can be made for both sides of the argument as Lesnar was rocked and the fight was close to being called off.
But Lesnar kept moving, stayed active and eventually improved his position to naturalize Carwin's clear advantage in punching power.

I believe this strengthens Lesnar's care to be called the best HW in MMA, purely because the guy did what no one else has done. He survived a onslaught from Carwin and naturalized him.

Sure it might have been different if Carwin had more gas in his tank but Lesnar completely dominated him from the opening bell of the second round right up to the point he tapped.

But I'd like to know what everyone else thinks. So.... What you guys think?
Wallass
7/4/10 11:15:46AM
Nah, not the best by any means. He survived but had his but handed to him, Fedor is still the best in the world bar none. Brock should be embarassed of how close he was to being finished. His wrestling isn't as good as he says it is either. He's top 3 not at the top though.
scoozna
7/4/10 11:20:21AM
I think so. He's still got a lot to learn...and the scary thing is, he seems capable of learning it. He's already a monster, and if he sticks to it will become an even bigger monster.
SmileR
7/4/10 11:22:21AM

Posted by Wallass

Nah, not the best by any means. He survived but had his but handed to him, Fedor is still the best in the world bar none. Brock should be embarassed of how close he was to being finished. His wrestling isn't as good as he says it is either. He's top 3 not at the top though.

I don't really see how you can use this argument and then say Fedor is still top if I'm honest. Fedor was being beaten by Arlovski and Rodgers before he landed a huge bomb on both of them. I'd even go as far as to say Rodgers could have had the fight stopped in the first if Big John hadn't been so knowledgeable about how much punishment Fedor can take. Then Fedor lost to a top 10 guy in Werdum in under 2 minutes. Brock just fought arguably the second best HW on the planet and won.

warglory
7/4/10 12:04:24PM
Brock is the #1 hw in the world, no doubt about it. You can't base rankings on performance, you MUST base rankings on results. Brock has proven that he can take a beating, and finish a fight, and he has also shown he can dominate too. Fedor has not done enough over the last couple of years to warrant the #1 spot, Brock has bested every major challenge put before him, and all of them have been worthy opponents.
Chael_Sonnen
7/4/10 12:13:05PM
Brock is the #1 Heavyweight in the world.
Jackelope
7/4/10 1:14:47PM
Brock is the #1 heavyweight right now. Hard to argue that. However, I want to say these things as a caveat-

He's the #1 HW because he's a physical freak. No doubt about it. He's shown he's got strength, stamina, and now he's proven he has heart. Which is big.

Technique wise? I still think the guy fights like a gorilla and is hugely lacking in overall technique. Overall what I take out of the fight are these things

Negatives-

1) He showed no ability to get up off his back.

2) His standup is pitiful. The guy has been training for (3?) years now. I mean... come on. Show the ability to do SOMETHING besides peek-a-boo defense

3) Even though people are impressed and they say his game is evolving due to the fact that he landed a submission I feel the opposite. He's been training BJJ for a while now and he still doesn't know how to properly apply an arm triangle? Give the average joe 3 years to learn BJJ and you'll know what I'm saying.

4) As powerful as he is, he showed poor technique in the dogfight position with Carwin. Carwin basically stood right up out of it. I think Lesnar has north south athleticism but lacks HUGELY in east west and I believe this will be exposed some day for sure.

As for the positives-

1) Great cardio for his size. Anybody who takes a beating like that and comes out fresh in the 2nd deserves props.

2) Heart. I honestly wasn't sure whether he'd have the fear of God in his eyes when he came out or not. He proved he has some massive heart.

3) Hell of a chin. Here is a list of names of other people who have survived a GnP onslaught from Carwin-

4) He's a beast in top position no doubt about it

sbulldavid
7/4/10 2:34:38PM
I think Lesner proved he should be ranked number one for now. He exposed himself and Carwin as well. This was a great fight, but I am convinced that Velasquez is far superior overall and should have his way with Lesner if he doesn't eat an overhand.
mrsmiley
7/4/10 3:21:13PM
Without a doubt he is number one now.
yet I believe Carwin will be more than prepared for a rematch and will dispatch Brock a second time around.
But damn,for not even going into the double digits within his record yet Brock has sure made a big name for himself.
mrsmiley
7/4/10 3:23:42PM

Posted by sbulldavid

I think Lesner proved he should be ranked number one for now. He exposed himself and Carwin as well. This was a great fight, but I am convinced that Velasquez is far superior overall and should have his way with Lesner if he doesn't eat an overhand.

I think you may be right.
Cane is overall solid in every department and has great cardio.
On paper this probably won't favor Brock.
Taylor8766
7/4/10 6:15:36PM
Lesnar showed a champions heart by withstanding punishment and coming back to win the fight, he also showed a surprising JJ game.
ncordless
7/4/10 8:25:26PM
I have him as the #1 right now, but I think Cain will wipe the floor with him.
MiniMan
7/4/10 10:28:58PM
The biggest thing showen last night was that Lesnar doesnt like being hit. He seemed kinda scared for a little in there, For the first time he couldnt bully the other fighter with his strength. He was humbled last night and we will see a better Brock next time again... Scary!
Boo_Radley21
7/5/10 8:26:00AM

Posted by Wallass

This is ridiculous. Just goes to show you that nuthuggers of Fedor will always live on. You'd be crazy or just really really irrational to say that there is someone ahead of Brock in the rankings. He beat Herring, Mir, Couture, and then came back from a Carwin beating to kick his ass in the second (and this was after missing a **** load of time from almost dying) . Carwin is the only guy Lesnar will ever face that is the same size as him and has arguably the heaviest hands in the division. Anyone else he fights faces a significant size and strength disadvantage against him, and I think unless Velasquez decisions him Carwin is going to be the only guy who can seriously contend with Lesnar.
MisterFreeze
7/5/10 12:42:24PM
Lesnar is definitely the number 1 HW.

In my opinion Cain Velasquez doesn't stand a chance. The only people I see beating Brock is Shane Carwin in a rematch and Junior Dos Santos.

I like Brock though and I hope he can grow enough as a fighter to stay on top for a while.
Styles
7/5/10 1:38:17PM
Honestly I dont think anyone deserves to be considered the #1 HW right now. I know that can be pretty easily argued but if indeed I had to put someone there, its hard to argue not putting Brock there (I really hate saying that too). Fedor just got subbed, and rather quickly. As a serious HW, I think Brock has the longest win streak now. With wins over Couture, Mir, Carwin, probably your 3 toughest fighters in the UFC's HW division, it is hard to argue that Brock hasn't stepped up, fought, and earned his spot in the lime light.

With that said, can we please find someone to hurry up and beat this guy, I am sick of hearing the BS from the Lesner nuttswingers