Is a Lesnar Win Good or Bad for MMA?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Is a Lesnar Win Good or Bad for MMA?
JWils
1/25/08 4:03:12PM
As the Lesnar vs. Mir fight draws near, I find myself really rooting for Mir to win and win convincingly.

I just don't think it would look good to the rest of the fighting world if a rookie signed a contract, walked into the biggest promotion in the world and beat a former champion and a very well respected fighter in Frank Mir.

I think that if Lesnar wins, people will think, "See, look at that, those MMA guys aren't so tough. Lesnar just started and he can hang with anyone".

I am hoping Mir really has a great performance and shows the world just how much skill it takes to compete at the higher levels of MMA. Don't get me wrong, I think that Lesnar could be a huge asset to the UFC. I am just hoping his road to the top is a long, hard journey and not a cakewalk. IMO, a Lesnar loss is better for the UFC at this point.

How does everyone else feel about this?

seanfu
1/25/08 4:06:01PM
A win would be bad for the sport, yes.
tuvok500
1/25/08 4:07:23PM

Posted by JWils

As the Lesnar vs. Mir fight draws near, I find myself really rooting for Mir to win and win convincingly.

I just don't think it would look good to the rest of the fighting world if a rookie signed a contract, walked into the biggest promotion in the world and beat a former champion and a very well respected fighter in Frank Mir.

I think that if Lesnar wins, people will think, "See, look at that, those MMA guys aren't so tough. Lesnar just started and he can hang with anyone".

I am hoping Mir really has a great performance and shows the world just how much skill it takes to compete at the higher levels of MMA. Don't get me wrong, I think that Lesnar could be a huge asset to the UFC. I am just hoping his road to the top is a long, hard journey and not a cakewalk. IMO, a Lesnar loss is better for the UFC at this point.

How does everyone else feel about this?

Mir is too much for Lesnar at this point.
I think Lesnar will be able to beat some cans but i am not even sure about that yet , the ufc cans are not easy cans !!

LuketheDuke
1/25/08 4:10:03PM
i would like to see mir win, but lesnars size and strength scares me a little. as long as the old frank mir is back im thinking he will submit lesnar in the first round.
as far as the win being good or bad for the ufc, i really don't think it matters. lesnar is a legit fighter, he has extremely good wrestling credentials and i think i heard somwhere that he was training with royce, but then again i think i heard that on sherdog so. . .
LuketheDuke
1/25/08 4:18:35PM
source

im sure the majority of you guys knew about this, but for those who didn't. . .there ya go
kevietre
1/25/08 4:27:50PM
If Lesnar wins hopefully he earns it. If he is legitimate and can avoid/ escape Mir's submission attempts then I'll be okay if he wins. Im a Mir fan so hopefully this fight will put him back on track but if Lesnar knocks him out or wins convincingly then I won't be upset.
telnights
1/25/08 4:35:52PM
I think a lot of people are taking this the wrong way. Maybe because of the way the UFC is promoting the fight I'm not sure. But look at it like this Lesnar is not much different than Matt Hughes, KOS, or any of the other wrestlers that have moved to MMA. The only real difference is he went in to pro wrestling a while before coming over to MMA. That doesn't make him bad for the sport. You have to give him some credit he is giving up lots of money by leaving pro wrestling to become a MMA fighter. If anything I think that should be good for MMA and bad for pro wrestling because its people that are real athletes are leaving it to become real fighters.

woodmo
1/25/08 4:46:16PM
While I don't think Mir will lose this fight, I don't think Lesnar winning will be bad for the sport. If he does win, it will do nothing but invigorate and add excitement to the heavyweight division (which needs something positive to happen in it right now). Face it, TO THIS POINT, Mirko has been a dipappointment (I think he'll be back), the Couture situation has been negative, a favorite fighter in Arlovski has been MIA for whatever reason, and a lot of people view Timmay as on overrated ex champion. It is a muddy situation in the heavies right now, and even if you think in terms of experience Lesnar is not desering to be in the bigs yet, I can't agree with the thought that he is bad for the UFC, regardless of the outcome of this fight.
NatedawgThaM
1/25/08 5:31:30PM
Obviously you don't take professional wrestling that seriously. It's a lot harder and tougher then people think. Lesnar was a College National Champion and was taking Juijitsu classes before he became a Pro wrestler you know.

So how would it be bad for the sport? I think that's just being paranoid to think MMA fighters aren't tough because a famous pro wrestler was able to beat him. Anybody who thinks that is just stupid. They should walk into an MMA ring or cage if they think any less. Lesnar hits very hard and is an excellent wrestler.

If anything, it's good for the sport because it's getting more exposure.
bayonetxwork
1/25/08 5:34:28PM
It would be horrible. It would invalidate the sport to the average fan. Thinking some guy with little to no experience went in there and beat a former champion.

Honestly, I could care less, but I'm just talking from a casual fans point of view.
Boo_Radley21
1/25/08 5:38:54PM
I can't see how it could hurt the sport honestly. A win is a win, people aren't gonna start saying "UFC fighters aren't good because Lesnar beat a guy who hasn't been himself since a motorcycle accident" Mir will be a very tough guy for Lesnar to beat because of the styles, but a win is a win, and it won't hurt MMA is he gets it.
tuvok500
1/25/08 5:44:45PM
I think Dana want to steal WWE fans by showing them how their heros become a 0 against a real opponent in a non scripted fight.

So , it can be good for the UFC to have more fans and it will be good to have Mir moving up in the ranking , even if he will not jump on top with this win, he will move up 1 or 2 spot higher.

After that, some non sence star's comment about how good they would do in the cage will become laughable !!

Pookie
1/25/08 5:49:49PM
i dont think its good nor bad. Objectively its just another fighter whos new to the sport winning. Sure someone could say that mma is inferior and blah blah blah because a pro wrestler won a match in the ufc. But honestly it doesnt really matter. Anyone who would say such a thing are just looking for things to exploit and spin for their own motives. I dont really give a rats ass what they have to say as its obvious that they know very little about this sport. There will always be those who hate on everyone regardless. Brock lesnar is just another prospect to do so. Should we hate the man because we as a people are putting him on this special pedestool. No, c'mon hes just another fighter. And to wish him to lose is worse for the sport than what anyone has to say about him winning.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
1/25/08 6:16:37PM
I'd say a lesnar win is good for mma. thought i think lesnar will get quickly submitted and never return to the UFC. Once lesnar finds himself in something he doesnt feel comfortable with, he quits. If you read matt hughes book , matt described how lesnar showed up to miletich fighting systems. lesnar rolled with matt hughes and got rear naked choked and never came back. He quit the NFL and WWE. Do you see the pattern? The man is a beast and i hope he proves me wrong.
Kpro
1/25/08 6:29:13PM
It would be great for the sport; it would maintain the fan base that watches for the one fight and make them want to continue watching.

Everyone acts like Lesnar's resume reads 4 WWF titles instead of 4 Collegiate Wrestling titles.
bls1919
1/25/08 7:20:24PM
I dont think a Lesnar win would be bad for the sport but would be very bad for Mir. I really dont see Lesnar making out of the first round.
loonytnt
1/25/08 8:22:44PM
well imo its not going to be bad, if he wins and looks good that is just 1 more good HW the UFC has and some great match ups for the fans.

lesnar is coming to fight and i think it will be a great fight, the ufc imo is makin this look like a wwe vs ufc thing and thats just imo. the last ppv and on fight night all they should were clips of brock in the wwe watch i think they should have showed some of his mma fight.

lesnar is a tough guy and imo mir has not been lookin great like he once was so if lesnar is 50% of his hype maybe he can win but bad for mma no way
backalley101
1/25/08 8:45:19PM
I don't know about the sport if it's bad or not,but for Mir it would be bad for him to let a former WWE wrestler beat him,but Lesnar is a very good wrestler and I don't mean a WWE wrestler.I think Mir needs to be hyped up for this fight. I think Mir's BJJ is going to be a big fact in this fight.
THE_DRiZzLE
1/26/08 12:52:10AM

Posted by Pookie

i dont think its good nor bad. Objectively its just another fighter whos new to the sport winning. Sure someone could say that mma is inferior and blah blah blah because a pro wrestler won a match in the ufc. But honestly it doesnt really matter. Anyone who would say such a thing are just looking for things to exploit and spin for their own motives. I dont really give a rats ass what they have to say as its obvious that they know very little about this sport. There will always be those who hate on everyone regardless. Brock lesnar is just another prospect to do so. Should we hate the man because we as a people are putting him on this special pedestool. No, c'mon hes just another fighter. And to wish him to lose is worse for the sport than what anyone has to say about him winning.

100% i'll be the 1st to admit that even i was put off @ first by the whole thing.. not because of Lesnar, but cuz of the name that follows him (WWE).. but in the end he's just another very capable guy with a great set of skills & athletecism.. it turns out that Lesnar went into MMA training with a SPONGE mentality & approach.. not a i know it all mentality.. people just need to forget about the pro wrestling shit like i have and look @ it like a KOS & Hughes getting into MMA.. and look how they have done not to mention many others.. with that said, i do believe this is a make or break fight for Mirr though.. not the sport of MMA nor the ****ing WWE.. word to your motha
Pitbull09
1/26/08 1:04:34AM
No doubt it is bad, and Im pretty angry that Dana sold out to give Lesnar a chance to slap MMA in the face. Dana usually knows what hes doing though and I think hes confident in a Mir win. Mir better understand that this fight means way more to the sport than himself. I hope Mir destroys Lesnar and proves that there is a huge line between amatuer and pro in MMA. I just hope another Matt Serra doesnt happen and I have to here people say Lesnar is the greatest for a year and a half cause he wont fight again.
roadking95th
1/26/08 2:23:51AM
I think the only way it looks bad is if a "bad" Mir easily defeats an even worse Lesnar. I don't see this happening. Best case scenerio, a pre-accident Mir has a fantastic match and defeats Lesnar. All of a sudden, the UFC has a rising Mir and a good/inexperienced Lesnar.

On a side note, I just love how people, who are supposedly informed mma fans, consider Brock's, or anyone's, wrestling skills as non-factors. As if great wrestling is inferior to world class BJJ, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, ect... Just as many great MMA fighters have been wrestlers as any other discipline.
THE_DRiZzLE
1/26/08 7:29:29AM

Posted by Pitbull09

No doubt it is bad, and Im pretty angry that Dana sold out to give Lesnar a chance to slap MMA in the face. Dana usually knows what hes doing though and I think hes confident in a Mir win. Mir better understand that this fight means way more to the sport than himself. I hope Mir destroys Lesnar and proves that there is a huge line between amatuer and pro in MMA. I just hope another Matt Serra doesnt happen and I have to here people say Lesnar is the greatest for a year and a half cause he wont fight again.

Dana sold out to give Lesnar a chance to slap MMA in the face?
Mirr better understand that this fight means way more to the sport than himself?
ignorance must be bliss..
Smd277
1/26/08 10:17:54AM
i dont think its bad but it definitley doesnt help
jomatty
1/26/08 11:49:29AM
i dont know if it is good or bad for the sport but im rooting for mir because lesnar is goofy looking and has a goofy tattoo. sad but true, i just dont like him and i dont like the way he says mir. unlike the majority though i think he is going to be too big and too strong for mir and a lot of other top hw's in the ufc. interestingly enough the guy i really want to see him fight is big tim. anyhow im rooting for mir but im betting on lesnar (depending on the line).
JimiMak
1/26/08 3:16:01PM
No one winner or loser of any fight is bad for the sport, esp not for the reasons put forth. I think Mir will gas in the second if Brock can avoid the early sub attempts. If he's beeen taught anything, I'd bet it's to use his wrestling to put mir against the cage and stay safe for a grueling five on top. He's a great athlete and to presume he shouldn't be in just cuz of an "acting" history (or whatever you want to call it) is a slap in the face to mma and all the great trainers he's worked with.
NineDuce
1/26/08 5:09:57PM
i dont think lesner has ever been hit in the face for real since pro wrestling is faker than pam anderson's boobs, so even if he gets past mir he will be in for a rude awakening when he gets hit for real unlike how good they act out how much getting slapped in the chest hurts or how gassed they get after 2 minutes of doing almost nothing in the WWF