Lesnar VS Vera (UFC 85) if it happened (which it wont) who would win?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Lesnar VS Vera (UFC 85) if it happened (which it wont) who would win?
POLL: Fantasy Matchup - Lesnar VS Vera
Lesnar KO/TKO 57% (29)
Vera KO/TKO 12% (6)
Lesnar SUBMISSION 0% (0)
Vera SUBMISSION 25% (13)
Lesnar DECISION 6% (3)
Vera DECISION 0% (0)
CornishMMA
2/6/08 8:34:27AM
Before his fight Brock was rumored for the next UK event as he would help build the sport over here with brining some WWE fans to the events

Some people thought that was a conspiracy and therefore Brock will beat Mir but that didnt happen

Now there are rumors starting to float about that Brandon Vera is making his return at this event as well ............................ i think thats the only basis for this early rumor and doesnt make it very likely to happen (we know Neil Wain an english HW will be making his debut there as well so he would be a possible opponent for either)

So i think its very unlikely they make this fight as both should be built back up into contention but IF they did who would win?

I have to say ive always thought Vera would struggle with a big strong wrestler and thats that on this one!
CactusBob
2/6/08 9:09:10AM
If Vera can weather the initial storm that Brock seems to use in all his MMA fights, Vera would probably secure the submission. Vera's cardio is not impressive, and Lesnar's is still in question (I have a sneaking suspision it is not where it should be). I would say late round sub for Vera if he survives...
fullerene
2/6/08 9:27:48AM
I don't think either guy can finish the fight early, but if Vera sticks around he could finish it late. I'll take Vera by TKO in the 3rd.
atlas777
2/6/08 9:41:36AM
Im going with Lesnar it just seems like Vera is way to small for HW and Brock is a huge strong guy, Vera got pushed around and out muscled by Sylvia the same thing will happen against Lesnar only he will get taken down and pounded on if he cant get a choke or a leg lock (which i doubt Lesnar would be stupid enough to let happen again) early in the first then Vera has no chance at winning imo Lesnar will just be too strong for him
pv3Hpv3p
2/6/08 10:02:52AM
I was completely unimpressed by Brock's debut... Well maybe completely unimpressed is a little much... But tell me this... As you were watching Brock wail away on Mir, didn't there seem like there was something weird? I can't put my finger on it, but it just seemed like he sort of spazzed... There wasn't much technique, there wasn't much patience, there wasn't much of anything... It sort of just looked like an extension of his WWE days and I couldn't get that out of my head...

Maybe that was just me, but I didn't really see Brock use anything more than his size as an advantage... And if we've learned anything from the years or MMA we've watched it's that size really doesn't matter (in MMA's case anyways, lol)...

With all that being said... Brandon Vera by 2nd rd KO... sets him up with big body kicks and quick flurries... HL reel high kick KO for the Truth
tuvok500
2/6/08 10:47:47AM
Vera would have a much bigger weight difference than Mir was having and Vera is nowhere close to Mir's BJJ.

So i think Lesnar would TKO him in the first , basically because that Vera is more a LHW than a HW.

gartface
2/6/08 11:19:28AM
Lesnar by GnP plain and simple.
xchickox
2/6/08 11:21:22AM
i think vera would be too quick for lesnar, i'm a big fan of vera and think he has huge potential, i still think brock should be given a slightly lower level competitor than vera
gartface
2/6/08 11:31:33AM

Posted by xchickox

i think vera would be too quick for lesnar, i'm a big fan of vera and think he has huge potential, i still think brock should be given a slightly lower level competitor than vera

Rewatch the Mir/Lesnar fight, and watch Lesnar's transitions again, and tell me he's not quick. The guy is a freak of nature with his athleticism. After the takedown following the stand-up by mazagatti, watch his transition from half, to side control, to north/south, to side.
bullettdodger
2/6/08 1:18:30PM

Posted by atlas777

Im going with Lesnar it just seems like Vera is way to small for HW and Brock is a huge strong guy, Vera got pushed around and out muscled by Sylvia the same thing will happen against Lesnar only he will get taken down and pounded on if he cant get a choke or a leg lock (which i doubt Lesnar would be stupid enough to let happen again) early in the first then Vera has no chance at winning imo Lesnar will just be too strong for him

It just seems to me that Atlas777 is right, i feel the same way about brandon's size... i think Vera would do fantastic at LHW but as a HW he is just undersized, i thinkk hes way more skilled than Brock but i just don't think it'll matter. I want to see Silvia vs Lesner in like 6 month or so. I think that would be enough time to refine brock's game to a decent level so that he would be able to pund out big tim for the win.
ohiostate1016
2/6/08 1:18:34PM
Lesnar, who has to cut to make 265, would destroy Vera, who barely hovers around 220 and could make 205. If Lesnar got Vera to the mat (which he would, especially if he proved he can get Mir down at will), then it would all be over. I'd say 43 second stoppage for Lesnar.
Jackelope
2/6/08 1:26:01PM
Vera has a pretty decent sprawl, so it'd be interesting to see how that would play out in the fight. As far as standup goes I'm pretty sure Vera would dance circles around Brock, too.

I say if the fight stays standing I give it easily to Vera, but if Lesnar is able to get it down to the mat he'd be able to muscle Vera around a bit too easily. Although Vera does have some decent wrestling.
imanidiot777
2/6/08 1:50:30PM
Apparently some of you did not watch the Mir/Lesnar fight because if you did you would have seen how quick brock is, he moves like a 220 lb guy. I don't know if any one else watch the all access on Brock but his cardio is definitely one of the best as well judging by the disgusting work outs he does all the time.

Lesnar also has been training for MMA the past two years. He says he knew before the Mir fight about how to avoid submissions and said that he knew how to do arm bars and toe locks. He got out of a few arm bars before he got knee barred so it's not like he is just a one dimensional guy. There is no shame in being submitted by Frank Mir who is one of the best at it.

Lesnar would TKO Vera in the first round vis GNP.
three_days_of_grey
2/6/08 2:34:08PM
Do you remember the ending of Jurassic Park when the Velociraptors jumped up on the back of the T-Rex?? Vera by rear-naked choke.
Also I noticed that despite his massive upper body, Lesnar has much smaller legs by comparison and would be susceptible to crushing leg kicks by MT/Kickbox fighters such as Gonzaga/Hardonk/CroCop.

-OUT-
xchickox
2/6/08 3:18:11PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by xchickox

Rewatch the Mir/Lesnar fight, and watch Lesnar's transitions again, and tell me he's not quick. The guy is a freak of nature with his athleticism. After the takedown following the stand-up by mazagatti, watch his transition from half, to side control, to north/south, to side.

at what point did i say lesnar is not quick? just vera is really slick on his fight and can get in strike and get out before the takedown, lets not forget we've only seen one takedown from lesnar and that was as mir kicked, the other was a knockdown, i still dont think we've seen enough of lesnar yet to say who he can and cant beat, but he has major potential
Purge
2/6/08 3:21:25PM
Vera by KO.
whardin19
2/6/08 4:06:48PM
I'm thinking the size of Brock Lesnar would be the advantage in a Lesnar/Vera fight. Brock is huge and Vera is a very small heavyweight. I would have to go with Brock Lesnar 1st round TKO.
gartface
2/6/08 4:10:29PM
Size + Speed + Good GnP = Lesnar TKO 1st
aolverizon
2/6/08 9:47:50PM
im not a brock lesnar fan, but i think he would tko vera in the first

the fact that brock is very large combined with his style, which so far has been to throw wild hammerfist and rabbit punches like there is no tomorrow, really gave mir some trouble and mirs a decently sized heavyweight so im having a really hard time believing that vera a small heavyweight can catch lesnar in a sub during brock's attack like mir did, let alone survive brock's attack.

i will be rooting for vera and maybe place a wager on him, but i just have a hard time seeing him winning this fight.
roger
2/8/08 2:42:41AM
lesnar has nothing but the begining burst if he can withstand that i could see him winning but those are some big hands and could easily ko somone at anytime
mrliquid
2/8/08 10:07:24AM
Lesnar by or KO 1st round I never liked Vera I don't think he has been tested enough and looked shitty against Tim
cowcatcher
2/8/08 10:40:44AM
vera isnt frank mir on the ground, but i could see him landing a big knee on lesnar when he shoots. vera didnt fare too welll when he was faced with another huge opponent in big tim, granted he was wary of getting in tims wheelhouse, but i think size would be a huge factor in this fight. ill take lesnar by GnP TKO.
CornishMMA
2/12/08 6:08:27AM
Damn this is surprising - Brock takes it 30-16 on the poll

Im sure they wont fight tho, i wanna see both win their next fights