Lesnar vs. Velasquez Thoughts

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Lesnar vs. Velasquez Thoughts
POLL: Who Wins?
Brock Lesnar 55% (26)
Cain Velasquez 45% (21)
chickmagnet
8/21/10 1:19:01PM
Im just curious where everyones at on this fight. Its going to come down to Velasquez's speed and takedown defense. Lesnar can obviously take a beating and is in great shape for every fight.

Thoughts?
Jackelope
8/21/10 1:23:59PM
Cain by decision or late stoppage (unlikely) If Brock gets those meat hooks on Cain and happens to get top position it could easily go the other way, though.
PABLOMAFIOSO
8/21/10 2:10:29PM
I see size being the deciding factor in this. They are both powerful, fast wrestlers but I can see Brock doing the most damage on the floor (where I can see the majority of the fight taking place). If it stays standing I would imagine Cain would get the W but everyone knows this is going to the floor.
Brock via GnP
noahgenda
8/21/10 2:40:47PM
brock hasnt really shown the ability to get up off his back very well. if cain got top position it could be big
Twenty20Dollars
8/21/10 3:49:47PM
lesnar has size on cain and for being that big brocks speed is good too, second round tko stoppage, prolly go something like the the second mir fight, hard slow GnP
CaranoGirl
8/21/10 5:33:24PM
Right now I am pretty big on Cain because of his striking advantage and his Cardio. I guess the big question is if Cain can stuff or avoid Brocks takedowns.
postman
8/21/10 6:09:43PM
Cain is a better wrestler then Brock and a better Wrestler then Carwin. Brock Lesnar could not take Shane Carwin down in the first round of that fight. The second round Carwin might as well just layed on his back to start the round. Cain has a way better gas tank then Carwin I think it will be a fairly one sided fight in favor of Cain. 3rd rd TKO.
1daveufc
8/22/10 3:21:46AM
I think cain is a beast but am not sure if he beats lesnar a think cain has the better hands and cardio.But how long does cardio last with someone like lesnar on top of you.If cain can get the fight to the floor and try where lesnar out a think he cud win by late stoppage (round 4-5) or UD.But if lesnar gets cain down it cud be a long night for cain am split at the min on the fight probs brock by UD.
prozacnation1978
8/22/10 3:40:42AM
cain has a glass jaw and lesnar has a big size advantage over him
i think lesnar byt tko but cain has the gas to go a few rounds
TimW001
8/22/10 4:06:50AM
Striking:
Cain Wins
Not only with the ability to properly absorb hard shots but has shown improved head movement with great counter striking and obvious great speed and power.

Cardio:
Cain wins. (Slightly)
Both fighters have gone through 3 round battles but Cain, arguably, gets an advantage because during his three round battle he remained constantly active and did not slow.

Wrestling:
Cain Wins.
Both fighter competed at Div I wrestling at heavyweight. Brock winning the tournament, but Cain still placed very high and the competition was great in NCAA I when Cain was competing.

Cain Rd 1 TKO.
TimW001
8/22/10 4:08:34AM

Posted by postman

Cain is a better wrestler then Brock and a better Wrestler then Carwin. Brock Lesnar could not take Shane Carwin down in the first round of that fight. The second round Carwin might as well just layed on his back to start the round. Cain has a way better gas tank then Carwin I think it will be a fairly one sided fight in favor of Cain. 3rd rd TKO.

Got that right.

Posted by prozacnation1978

Kongo not only put him down but Cain remained there beign completely useles after taking a heavy strike...right?
Boo_Radley21
8/22/10 9:30:19AM
Velasquez is awesome, I'm glad he's getting his shot at the title finally, but I really can't see him beating Brock. If Carwin couldn't finish off Lesnar with that ridiculous ground and pound then I'm pretty sure Cain won't be able to either. The deciding factor is gonna be the ridiculous size of Lesnar IMO. Yea Cain is on an entirely different level with his stand up, it's not gonna matter so much when a guy the size of Lesnar is working to put you on your back and smash you in the face. If Brock wasn't in the UFC Velasquez would more than likely be HW champ, but I can't see him pulling off this win.
gartface
8/22/10 10:41:10AM
I'm hoping to see more of that jiu-jitsu from Brock, I don't know about you guys.
Wand_is_GOD
8/22/10 11:30:33AM
Lesnar by darce choke :P
chickmagnet
8/22/10 7:46:34PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

Cains never been knocked out. Cains got a face like a cinderblock. If you get rocked in a fight it doesnt mean u have a weak ability to take a hit.
BlueSkiesBurn
8/22/10 8:46:55PM

Posted by gartface

I'm hoping to see more of that jiu-jitsu from Brock, I don't know about you guys.

I am, too, actually. I marked out when he pulled off that sub.
gartface
8/22/10 9:43:27PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by gartface

Haha I know it sounds funny...But it was fun as hell to watch. Reminded me of Ryan Bader the way he pulled off that arm-triangle.
Jackelope
8/22/10 11:00:20PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by gartface

Haha I know it sounds funny...But it was fun as hell to watch. Reminded me of Ryan Bader the way he pulled off that arm-triangle.

Except Ryan Bader actually had some technique involved with his?

I'm sorry but if anyone found that arm triangle/side choke impressive beyond a pure strength standpoint they need to re-evaluate their ground game knowledge. Brock didn't turn the clock, shorten his grip, nor did the completely gassed Carwin put up a proper defense or hardly any defense at all for that matter.

I mean, I don't want to sound like a total jackoff but that was far from a highly technical submission move and it kind of drives me a little nuts to see the credit he gets for it. Guy has been training BJJ for at least 3 years and that's the best he can do technique wise?
BlueSkiesBurn
8/22/10 11:04:29PM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by gartface

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by gartface

Except Ryan Bader actually had some technique involved with his?

I'm sorry but if anyone found that arm triangle/side choke impressive beyond a pure strength standpoint they need to re-evaluate their ground game knowledge. Brock didn't turn the clock, shorten his grip, nor did the completely gassed Carwin put up a proper defense or hardly any defense at all for that matter.

I mean, I don't want to sound like a total jackoff but that was far from a highly technical submission move and it kind of drives me a little nuts to see the credit he gets for it. Guy has been training BJJ for at least 3 years and that's the best he can do technique wise?

I wasn't impressed with his technique as much as I was that it's Brock Lesnar winning by submission. You could give that even to do over one million times and I would never pick Lesnar RD2 Sub
Bloodhound
8/23/10 10:21:28AM
Cain definetly has the cardio & striking advantage to beat Lesnar if he can grind it out and weather the storm or even possibly stop Lesnar's takedowns in the early rounds. So it all depends either Lesnar finishes Cain within the first 2 rounds or if Cain can weather the storm Cain will stop Lesnar in the later rounds.
cowcatcher
8/23/10 10:57:21AM
lesnar clearly doesnt like getting hit, and cains been dropped before so i think whoever lands a telling blow on the feet first wins via gnp. at this point id favor brock based on size more than anything i guess, but its a pick em IMO.
BustedKnuckle
8/24/10 6:42:02PM
I am really on the fence on this fight still. I will be pulling for Cain all the way. But not sure I am going to pick him!?
DeadHead988
8/27/10 10:32:04PM
Brock's size gives him a prominant advantage over Cain (A somewhat undersized heavyweight), but other than that he has nothing. Lesnar is one of the most overrated fighters in the UFC.