could lesnar become the new randy in the future?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » could lesnar become the new randy in the future?
tomsmith17381
4/30/08 1:29:28PM
before you all start getting nostalgic and insulted by me mentioning lesnar in the same breath as randy let me just say i totally respect what randy has done for this sport and it 's not aimed at knocking him but does anyone feel looking at lesnar he could well devevelop into being the new randy?. sure he has a lot of things to learn but being the size he is and his wrestling background he sure has a good basis to work with. im excited by his venture into mma as it should breath new life into the heavy weight division. i think people knocking him for his wwe background are very narrow minded judge him for what he does in the octagon not his past. so what do you think of lesnar becoming a future ufc star?
loonytnt
4/30/08 1:37:13PM
i think he will do ok, only time will tell but i think he can do a lot in this sport
babytater03
4/30/08 2:04:09PM
Well the guys got the tools to become a really impress and dominating force. BUT he's going to have to refine his skills and temper himself inside the cage and avoid getting caught in subs and in situations that are not his strong areas.

The man could put a hole through almost anyones head, no doubt. But that's not always what it takes.
Tein_Lung
4/30/08 2:26:21PM
the biggest differance in Lesner and the Couture that was the young man that started out at UFC 13 is the type of wrestling... Greco is worlds better for MMA then Freestyle... so only time will tell but as far as phisical gifts i think Lesner is better off then Randy
Jackelope
4/30/08 3:03:55PM
The comparison is laughable, but I commend your efforts and your enthusiasm.

In short- the answer is no.

Compared to Couture, Lesnar is a mental midget. Even in the early days of the UFC you could see Randy's calculating nature and the methods in which he mentally broke his opponents down. He showed little signs of getting over anxious, and always stuck to the gameplan. His maturity level is and was light years beyond Lesnar's. Not to mention (as someone already said) that Randy's greco style translated into MMA much better.

Compare that to Brock Lesnar-

He's like a fricken 15 year old getting his first piece of pussy out there. He runs out giddy as hell, lacking all composure and blowing his wad in the first 1minute and 30 seconds.

Now, I'm not saying he's going to be like this in his upcoming bouts, but I am saying it shows a general maturity and composure level that he did that in his first fight. Fighters can grow, no doubt. Brock Lesnar will never grow into a fighter of Randy's caliber, though. He's in the UFC because of his size, his drawing power, and for a bigger paycheck in the powers-that-be's pockets.

ChokeUout
4/30/08 3:37:44PM
Someday Lesnar could be a great MMA fighter. THis comparison to Randy, however is WAAAAY too Premature. Holla after Brock Wins in the UFC.
tomsmith17381
4/30/08 3:50:34PM

Posted by Jackelope

Compared to Couture, Lesnar is a mental midget. Even in the early days of the UFC you could see Randy's calculating nature and the methods in which he mentally broke his opponents down. He showed little signs of getting over anxious, and always stuck to the gameplan. His maturity level is and was light years beyond Lesnar's. Not to mention (as someone already said) that Randy's greco style translated into MMA much better.

He's like a fricken 15 year old getting his first piece of pussy out there. He runs out giddy as hell, lacking all composure and blowing his wad in the first 1minute and 30 seconds.

Now, I'm not saying he's going to be like this in his upcoming bouts, but I am saying it shows a general maturity and composure level that he did that in his first fight. Fighters can grow, no doubt. Brock Lesnar will never grow into a fighter of Randy's caliber, though. He's in the UFC because of his size, his drawing power, and for a bigger paycheck in the powers-that-be's pockets.

JimiMak
4/30/08 4:59:32PM
Sure he could. We've seen no reason to think so, but who knows.
pv3Hpv3p
4/30/08 5:07:57PM
I don't personally think so... randy and Brock are both wrestlers, but I really think the comparison ends there...

I'll agree though... I still can't help but be interested in seeing how Brock developes in the sport... I've heard a lot of fighters say that the training is the real bitch, and the fight is the reward... And once you get down to the brass tacs of that... The fight is mostly mental... IMO, not a lot of people stack up to Randy in mental toughness... Of course you have your Big Nog's and a lot of other fighters, but I have a hard time believing Lesnar'll fall into this catagory... Untill I see different anyways
SmileR
4/30/08 6:12:03PM

Posted by Jackelope

THE GREATEST POST EVER!!!!!!!!!!!
Pitbull09
5/3/08 3:08:30PM
They dont have similar backrounds really. Lesnar is a pure wrestler and Randy is a Greco Roman wrestler. Pretty different.

Also, Lesnar continues to be stubburn and bullheaded to learning any BJJ. He will never accomplish what Randy did in the UFC
jgtribbett
5/3/08 4:52:48PM
maybe if he started training (which he is now.. and i'm sure he's training very seriously.. he is an outstanding wrestler/athlete) hard and gave it his all.. he probably shouldnt be in the UFC yet.. he is still very much one dimentional.. he may be a force one day.. i just think he needs to stay away from every "wreslter oriented camp" except maybe team quest or X Couture. typically.. wrestlers focus on wrestling too much as appose to learning other things when they are with .. for enstance sherk's camp or soemthing.. but that is just my opinion..

very humbly,
jake.

hahah

btw..i'm a wrest;er... i'm just not biase
mrsmiley
5/3/08 8:54:43PM
I wouldn't say the next Couture,but with some work he might become what Mark Kerr had the potential to be.
Jackelope
5/4/08 2:13:38AM

Posted by jgtribbett

maybe if he started training (which he is now.. and i'm sure he's training very seriously.. he is an outstanding wrestler/athlete) hard and gave it his all.. he probably shouldnt be in the UFC yet.. he is still very much one dimentional.. he may be a force one day.. i just think he needs to stay away from every "wreslter oriented camp" except maybe team quest or X Couture. typically.. wrestlers focus on wrestling too much as appose to learning other things when they are with .. for enstance sherk's camp or soemthing.. but that is just my opinion..

very humbly,
jake.

hahah

btw..i'm a wrest;er... i'm just not biase

I made a post to that effect quite a few months ago concerning Lesnar. Right now he's got to stay focused on a wrestling oriented camp just so he learns to transition his wrestling skills into MMA, but once he's got that down I think his best chance lies in developing a great standup game (since he's so strong and imposing on the feet). My suggestion for him was to get a decent bit of training under Delagrotte or maybe someone with some real kickboxing/kickboxing in MMA credentials.
MondayNiteMauser
5/4/08 4:00:48PM
IMO lesnar has the potential to be way better than randy....A guy with lesnars work ethic and pure athletic ability should not be taken lightly. I believe by the end of this year people will be talkin about lesnar as a great all-around martial artist. He's a force, the only thing that worrys me about him is the mental part of the sport.
shogun7
5/12/08 4:34:39PM
lesnar deff has the potential to be as good if not better than randy in mma. brock is still young and for fighting his first real mma fight he was thrown in against the former heavyweight champion ( AND SUBMISSION EXPERT ) frank mir. lets all remember that he was beating the shit out of frank throughout that fight and was on top pounding his face in when mazagati stood it up and took a point away with NO WARNING! Lesnar is most deffinitly the strongest person that has ever seen in the ufc, maybe all of mma. Randy used to fight at 205 lesnar can barley make 265 and he is pure muscle. Did u all not see how easy and quick he took down mir? All this man needs to do is work on submission defense. he can take a punch and sure as hell deliver one. u all need to chill out on underrating brock he clearly has the most potential out of anybody in all of mma today. I guarentee he will be champ soon and all of u haters are going to be lookin real stupid
Jackelope
5/12/08 4:54:33PM

Posted by shogun7

lesnar deff has the potential to be as good if not better than randy in mma. brock is still young and for fighting his first real mma fight he was thrown in against the former heavyweight champion ( AND SUBMISSION EXPERT ) frank mir. lets all remember that he was beating the shit out of frank throughout that fight and was on top pounding his face in when mazagati stood it up and took a point away with NO WARNING! Lesnar is most deffinitly the strongest person that has ever seen in the ufc, maybe all of mma. Randy used to fight at 205 lesnar can barley make 265 and he is pure muscle. Did u all not see how easy and quick he took down mir? All this man needs to do is work on submission defense. he can take a punch and sure as hell deliver one. u all need to chill out on underrating brock he clearly has the most potential out of anybody in all of mma today. I guarentee he will be champ soon and all of u haters are going to be lookin real stupid

Ease up off his nuts, man. It's going to be even tougher defending submissions when he's got guys swinging like Tarzan (and shouting even less intelligent things than Tarzan would) off his nuts.

Haha, in all seriousness I think he's got potential, just nothing suggests this much yet

Pookie
5/12/08 5:50:14PM

Posted by Jackelope

had to spread the love.
bls1919
5/13/08 9:47:06PM
The only think i would change about the UFCs weight classes is that i would add a 225 division. but seeing as they have a hard enough time filling just one HW division how could they do 2. Although Affliction has one card filled with HW Superfights(i hate that term)

EDIT WROND THREAD SORRY
ncordless
5/13/08 9:59:24PM
I guess anything could happen. Could Boetsch become the next Liddell? Could David Eckstein become the next Barry Bonds? Could Kalib Starnes become the next Big Nog? I guess anything is possible... except for Starnes=Nog.
NinjaCyborg
5/14/08 3:58:25PM
No, Brock Lesnar could never be Randy Couture.
Brock Lesnar will always be Brock Lesnar. It's possible Brock will be better than Randy, it's also possible he will never reach the same skill level as Randy. But Brock will never actually be Randy.

Thats like asking if anyone could ever be the next Bruce Lee.
Pookie
5/14/08 4:01:32PM

Posted by NinjaCyborg

Sir, i think you are ignoring Lui Kang for mortal kombat, who IS obviously the next bruce lee

NinjaCyborg
5/19/08 1:01:07AM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by NinjaCyborg

Sir, i think you are ignoring Lui Kang for mortal kombat, who IS obviously the next bruce lee

lol. I forgot about Lui Kang. Johnny Cage is pretty badass too.
shogun7
8/10/08 12:10:40PM
Anyone got anything to say now that they just saw the next heavyweight champion in action? guess i wasnt nut hugging too hard just stating the obvious truth. CAN YOU SEE HIM NOW? Lets stop with all the hatin on brock cause he is a beast!