Could Lesnar be the new Couture?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Could Lesnar be the new Couture?
Next Page »
POLL: Could Lesnar be the new Couture?
Yeah he's the next Couture 10% (6)
No, he should go back to wrestling 42% (26)
Give him more time and we'll see 48% (30)
SmileR
1/27/08 5:05:00PM
I just watched the interview with him on ufc.com and he mentions the only other MMA fighter with his credentials was Randy.
The question i have is could with enough training he be the next Couture?

In my opinion he'll never be more than a big wrestler and should never compare himself to Randy. But is their anyone else who could come in and take Randys place or is the nearest thing in the HW devision Lesnar?
juanez13
1/27/08 5:14:27PM
i think the best lesnar will be the sean sherk of the heavyweights, big strong guys, with good sub-defence, winning by overpowering and controling his opponents on the ground, and not so good stand up......this can work for a while, as sean sherk has demonstrated, but when a guy comes along that take lesnar out of his element, he will look like a fish out of water, like hughes against GSP, he isnt used to being on the bottom, and when he isnt able to take someone down, he will face alot of obstacles overcoming this problems...
D0wnUnd6e6r
1/27/08 5:42:40PM
Tuvok's gonna have something to say about this one lol.... oooooh man
casey64
1/27/08 5:44:38PM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

:

tuvok500
1/27/08 6:05:02PM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Well, i will only say that Lesnar will go out of the octogon with a broken arm.( maybe 2 )

So the comparaison with Couture will stop right there !!

aaa9erh8er
1/27/08 6:11:59PM
one mma and you wanna be compared to one of the best ever are you kidding me thats outrages to say his name and randys in the same sentence. i really hope mir isnt looking past this guy and he brings his A game. becouse anyone that is a good wrestler has a shot and can throw a puch can win. but with his lack of exp and to skills to be seen no way can he be the next randy. imo he is the curent Soko (nothing agains soko he was just ver hypd up)
LayinFrame
1/27/08 6:12:28PM
when i saw the name of this topic, i wanted to beat my face in with a rusty shovel. i dont even think i can make a legit reply to this, i just want to cry
SmileR
1/27/08 6:17:09PM

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Well, i will only say that Lesnar will go out of the octogon with a broken arm.( maybe 2 )

So the comparaison with Couture will stop right there !!

Couldn't have said it better myself
KeNn
1/27/08 7:02:54PM
NO never,
lol Lesnar will get owned.
NatedawgThaM
1/27/08 7:14:10PM
I can't choose either of the three choices. Why? Randy's mindstate when he fights is solid. he sticks to his gameplan and it works flawlessly. Kurt Angle was right, Brock does crack under pressure so if you can sike him out you already have 70% of the fight won. You just need a little bit of skill with it.

Fighting style wise too. Brock hits harder and is a TOTALLY different wrestler. Randy is a grecco wrestler who wrestles best in the clinch. Brock is an amateur wrestler who takes you down for LNP/GNP whatever.

I don't know where theres a similarity. Brock could be one of the best HW's ever if he works on his submission defense and gains a little stand up. Brock has too find out what he's good at and impose that gameplan every fight which that gameplan is probably wrestling/GNP. He is physcially strong and has a big head so probably could take a few shots.

I don't see a resemblance but both are great fighters, or at least I believe Brock will be one. He has a lot of potential. He just needs to keep that mind strong and he's a problem for anybody.
stock
1/27/08 7:21:35PM
I really think he will need some more time.
I don't doubt that he might get embarrassed this weekend, but if he sticks to it I could easily see him in the top 5 in 2-3 years.

I really wish he would have signed a 3-4 fight contract in a smaller organization first before coming to the UFC. However, he was offered the contract, so why wouldn't he take it.
Mir is a tough first fight for ANYONE making their UFC debut (not to mention 2nd pro fight).
hippysmacker
1/27/08 10:37:23PM
If you mean he'll look fantastic one fight , then get subbed the next , then ya. Early in his career Randy went from UFc champ, to getting beat in the first twice. I think Lesnar has a grip of potential , but unless he's got some jits & sub D, it won't matter. Until I see him in trouble and recover i won't be sold. It could be he will take a similar career path, and keep growing as a fighter( losses as learning experiences included) , until he's one of the best in the world. I will say this, even if he overwhelms Mir and gets a quick stoppage,Mir has not been the same since his accident. Also, Mir has often gassed quickly a,nd has been stopped quickly, in his last 2 losses. I think Big Nog/Werdum/and Fedor would all sub him in the first right now. So great potential and all, I say wait & see.
jiujitsufreak74
1/27/08 10:53:43PM
i can't even get to the point where he compares himself to randy because i am still hung up on the fact that he thinks no one else in MMA has his credentials. What credentials are you talking about brock? because there are a lot of Olympic champions, ADCC champions, black belts, world champions (in both their respective styles and MMA) and better wrestlers than you brock that are in MMA. i mean, are you trying to tell me that because you did good in college wrestling means that you have more credentials than anyone else in the sport? you don't even compare with kimbo in terms of fighting experience so why are you running your mouth as if you are an accomplished mixed martial artist; that's like saying you are more qualified than any of the champions all because you wrestled a bit in college. where is the intensive MMA training? the JJ training? the boxing training? where are the other aspects of MMA that make you more qualified than the other great warriors. frank mir has a boat load of more credentials than you brock so to compare yourself to randy at this point in terms of experience and credentials is absurd brock. why don't you concentrate on your next fight before you start saying you have more credentials than people who have been doing this for their whole lives. thumbs down for me brock, hope tuvok is right and both of your arms get broken that way your warped sense of reality has a disfigured body to match.
NineDuce
1/27/08 10:55:26PM
theres a better chance of joe son being heavyweight champ this year
Pitbull09
1/27/08 11:50:13PM
no......
cmill21
1/28/08 12:21:20AM
The way this guy talks sickens me, and after seeing a video of him training I was even more put off with him. His boxing and kicks look brutal, and if he were fighting a striker he would be toast if it stayed up for longer then a minuet. I haven't seen his sub D but I look forword to it, and hope it's poor.
atlas777
1/28/08 1:41:22PM
It will take some time for us to figure that how lets see how he does against MIr i think he will win but hes going to need to be tested a few times first before we an say he will be the next randy which is actually impossible becuase there is no way he could make it to the LHW division to take that title but as far as wrestling goes we will have to see how effective he is at using it coming up with a gameplan and having a solid well rounded fight game.
Jackelope
1/28/08 3:00:46PM
I say win or lose we put him up against Crocop next. That'll put the standup skills to the test, and the takedown skills.

Jiujitsu freak beat me to it, but his credentials are nothing compared to others. In wrestling alone Josh Koscheck has the same credentials, Dan Henderson has more credentials, Matt Hughes, Coleman, etc. etc. etc. there's a ton of guys that have fought or are fighting in the UFC that in wrestling alone match up to or beat Lesnar's credentials. The guy wasn't even an olympic wrestler. Matt Lindland's credentials far outweigh Lesnar's.

Let's not even mention the amount of judo, MMA, BJJ, ADCC, boxing, kickboxing, etc. etc. guys that far outshine him. This is the crap guys are talking about when they call Brock a mental midget.

I dunno, but I see that statement as a serious amount of disrespect to other more accomplished fighters.
DJDark41
1/28/08 3:07:43PM

Posted by juanez13

i think the best lesnar will be the sean sherk of the heavyweights, big strong guys, with good sub-defence, winning by overpowering and controling his opponents on the ground, and not so good stand up......this can work for a while, as sean sherk has demonstrated, but when a guy comes along that take lesnar out of his element, he will look like a fish out of water, like hughes against GSP, he isnt used to being on the bottom, and when he isnt able to take someone down, he will face alot of obstacles overcoming this problems...

Agreed 100%. I mean, unless he somehow because an amazing striker I don't see him being anything more then a giant blanket. A giant...powerful...crazy blanket. He'll just pick people up, and slam them down, and lay on them 'till they get stood up or the round ends. As soon as Lesnar fights someone with good subs from the bottom(Frank Mir)or a decent striker(anyone else in the freakin division...)he won't stand a chance.
Rush
1/28/08 3:29:04PM

Could Lesnar be the new Couture?

If by that you mean could he be a UFC fighter with a record of 16-8 by the time he's 40 yrs old, then yes, I say he can be the next Randy.

Other than that, I don't see him accomplishing what Randy has, at this time.
StevenSeagal
1/28/08 3:52:17PM
Isnt it a little early for this discussion? lol Let me see a couple of fights of Brocks first in the UFC and then we can start the beauty shop gossip... I heard Ken Shamrock's kid is fighting now, You think he'll be the next Chuck? Sometimes seems like people stare at the forum and are like "what nonsense question can I ask next?" No offense to the original poster
SmileR
1/28/08 4:02:50PM
Just to clear things up, i did say at the start i don't think he should have made that comparison and i doubt he'll ever be more than a big wrestler.
If I'm wrong then i'll happy admit it and he'll be a credit to the HW devision but right now I think his ego outweighs his talent.
RMFG_187
1/28/08 6:10:27PM
I am probably the BIGGEST Lesnar Hater out there. Frank Mir is an easy matchup for him, and hes already got a scheduled fight for UFC 86!!! Once he gets hit, i meen REALLY BEATEN, im gonna LAUGH MY ******* ASS OFF
FeelTheJoy
1/29/08 1:46:37AM
is this guy serious? there is no way he can compare himself to couture who is a hall of famer.
Kracker_Jap
1/29/08 2:28:14AM

Posted by LayinFrame

when i saw the name of this topic, i wanted to beat my face in with a rusty shovel. i dont even think i can make a legit reply to this, i just want to cry

Its just hard not too....
rcg916
2/1/08 1:04:10PM
Good to know that a single fight can nearly ruin a message board...

MMAPG used to be the spot where everyone knew their stuff, and had respect for anyone in the cage...

This has brought the worst out of some guys that I really thought were solid, and thats really too bad... Oh well, true colors shine through I guess.
jiujitsufreak74
2/1/08 2:20:59PM

Posted by rcg916

Good to know that a single fight can nearly ruin a message board...

MMAPG used to be the spot where everyone knew their stuff, and had respect for anyone in the cage...

This has brought the worst out of some guys that I really thought were solid, and thats really too bad... Oh well, true colors shine through I guess.

i know it is wrong to go off on rants but what do you expect when so many of us have to hear from people who have not even seen a MMA match telling us how lesnar is going to F-5 his opponent and win with a shooting star for a whole month. i know there are a lot of people that don't look into it anymore than just hating a pro wrestler and i am not justifying all of the hate but i cannot sit there idly by while he says he is the next randy couture and that only randy has his credentials. i do have respect for anyone who gets in there but i do not have respect for fighters who do not respect their opponent; he has gotten to the point beyond necessary hype imo.i understand that a lot of people are just hating pure and simple without knowledge of how tough lesnar is and putting down pro wrestling but his comments would lead to my disliking of him despite his previous professions. i went off on a rant because i was sick and tired of people glorifying him before he even has 2 fights in the MMA. i understand that there are a lot of people that do the opposite and that causes your displeasure but it does go both ways. i can't wait for this fight to be over because you are right, there are a lot of pointless rants and a lot of fighter bashing both ways however this was expected if you think about it.
Boo_Radley21
2/1/08 2:25:30PM
He'll never be another Couture IMO. I don't think he's as smart as Randy was with making gameplans and using them. He may be able to take guys down but he won't be able to use the clinch effectively or strike effectively IMO. I don't even think his ground and pound looks that great it seemed kind of sloppy against Min Soo Kim. He may be able to do things in the sport but he's going to have to rely heavy on his wrestling until he works on the rest of his game. I think we're in for some boring fights until he becomes more well rounded.
KeNn
2/1/08 8:33:22PM
Brock will never be couture, his wrestling backround isn't even that GREAT. The way they hype it up, lol you might as well throw Kurt Angle in the ring at least hes an olypian.....

Brock is a big strong dude, and I think maybe he can beat Mir.
But as far as being a champion, or even a contender naaa..

The UFC is really just using him to make quick buck, to get more viewers. They should also get the undertaker, I'd love to him see him in the UFC. DID YOU GUYS SEE HIS TRIANGLE? sickkk
ncordless
2/1/08 10:59:01PM
The only other mma fighter with his credentials? What the hell does that mean? If he is talking about wrestling cred, there are several fighters with more cred than either.

Anyway, as for the question... I doubt it. More like the next Fujita. And that's if Lesnar is all he is cracked up to be.
Pages: [1] 2