If not Lesnar, Mir wants Cain

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » If not Lesnar, Mir wants Cain
Bubbles
12/15/11 9:40:36AM
It appears Frank Mir will have to wait for a third meeting with UFC superstar Brock Lesnar.

With rumours swirling about Alistair Overeem’s potential withdrawal from UFC 141, former title-holder Frank Mir said Saturday after submitting Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira -- and breaking his arm in the process -- in the first round of the co-main event rematch at UFC 140 in Toronto that he wouldn’t mind stepping in as a replacement and fighting Lesnar in what would be a rubber match between the two.

"I’m pretty healthy, and three weeks is enough time," Mir said. "I feel pretty good. I only fought a three-minute fight. My wife will want me around at Christmastime, but she can deal with it."
"I don’t want to wait around just to fight for the title," Mir said. "I think Cain is still the real deal, he just got caught (against Dos Santos) like I did tonight. I recovered, he didn’t and (Dos Santos) jumped on him."

link
Theoutlaw08
12/15/11 9:42:57AM
I might be the minority on this one...but I would actually like to see Lesnar and Mir fight again. I think Mir has improved his stand up enough to hang with him. I think it would end with a nasty sub.
I would also like to see him fight Cain. Cain might just over power Mir tho.
Budgellism
12/15/11 9:53:06AM
I'm down for a Mir/Cain fight.
calitrees
12/15/11 10:01:46AM
Id like to see Mir fight Cain. Its an interesting match because would Cain try to test Mir standup after getting kod by Dos (In my opinion this is were he has the best chance of winning). Or will he elect to try to put Mir on his back and risk being subbed...intriguing
airkerma
12/15/11 10:09:23AM
I think Mir gets ktfoed by either of these sluggers
Bubbles
12/15/11 10:09:24AM

Posted by Theoutlaw08

I might be the minority on this one...but I would actually like to see Lesnar and Mir fight again. I think Mir has improved his stand up enough to hang with him. I think it would end with a nasty sub.

i dont think anyone really has to worry about Lesnars striking. hes got power but Mir's technique is light years better and can hold his own as it is. its Lesnars TDs Mir needs to worry about
kingsmasher
12/15/11 11:33:43AM

Posted by Theoutlaw08

I personally dont see Lesner getting subbed again...hes learned a little sub defense...And a kimura IM sorry just aint gonna work on Lesner..unless he just laid there limp for a second...Mir has to work on wreslting..
Pookie
12/15/11 11:46:45AM
I'll pick against Mir in both.

Cain beats him on the feet, Lesnar on the ground.
prophecy033
12/15/11 11:51:02AM

Posted by Budgellism

I'm down for a Mir/Cain fight.

KungFuMaster
12/15/11 11:51:56AM
I don't mind seeing Mir vs Lesnar III. I think the fight will vary tremendously like that of the first and second. Mir vs Velasquez should be a good fight but Mir will definitely have his hands full.

I like to see Mir get a another crack at the title but if he has to get pass Velasquez, it would be an obstacle of colossal proportion which would be equivalent of a championship fight in its own right for Mir.
kingsmasher
12/15/11 1:25:17PM
In all fairness I like Mir alot more now because he has seen Lesner fall and tha tshould do a lot for his confidence and Mir is on a mission...A top notch Mir I would say is unbeatable but now with the influx of wrestlers not so much..Hes definitely a contender and can surprise on any given day...
prozacnation1978
12/15/11 1:29:08PM
I think this will headline ufc 145 card.
I do like the matchup!!
Boo_Radley21
12/15/11 2:16:50PM
I don't see Lesnar vs Mir 3 being any different from their second fight against eachother

Cain would be interesting though, although I still wouldn't pick Mir
grappler0000
12/15/11 2:17:15PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by Theoutlaw08

I personally dont see Lesner getting subbed again...hes learned a little sub defense...And a kimura IM sorry just aint gonna work on Lesner..unless he just laid there limp for a second...Mir has to work on wreslting..

I won't disagree that Mir should try to shore up his wrestling, but I can't help but think the effort would be futile. With Lesnar's wrestling pedigree and athleticism, Mir could train nothing but wrestling for the remainder of his career and still wouldn't be able to use wrestling to stop Brock's TD. There are a combination of things that would produce better results IMO. Things like: training specific footwork and movement on the feet to make it more difficult to set up shots or push him against the fence - perfecting his leg kicks to take some steam out of Brock's lead leg, weakening the TD over time - train and develop different strategies for dealing with Brock's gorilla-hug top game...offensively and defensively, perhaps something like rubber guard. Wrestling is obviously what Lesnar would fall back on to win, but you can't always fight fire with fire. Sometimes you gotta fight fire with water. And if none of that works, maybe Brock is ticklish.
Pskinner_mma314
12/15/11 4:39:00PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by Theoutlaw08

I won't disagree that Mir should try to shore up his wrestling, but I can't help but think the effort would be futile. With Lesnar's wrestling pedigree and athleticism, Mir could train nothing but wrestling for the remainder of his career and still wouldn't be able to use wrestling to stop Brock's TD. There are a combination of things that would produce better results IMO. Things like: training specific footwork and movement on the feet to make it more difficult to set up shots or push him against the fence - perfecting his leg kicks to take some steam out of Brock's lead leg, weakening the TD over time - train and develop different strategies for dealing with Brock's gorilla-hug top game...offensively and defensively, perhaps something like rubber guard. Wrestling is obviously what Lesnar would fall back on to win, but you can't always fight fire with fire. Sometimes you gotta fight fire with water. And if none of that works, maybe Brock is ticklish.

The rubber guard was something i had though of too, but as big as Lesnar is and how well he controls, I still think Mir would be in trouble. Personally I don't think Lesnar lets him even breath if he is on top, and Mir off his back is his best Jits, so his best bet is to use his far superior striking and when/if Brock gets wobbled, keep him at bay and pick him apart until he is ko'd or Mir can actually work his top game.

Still think I would pick Lesnar in another rematch, simply because of the fact that in both fights, Lesnar was landslide winning during 99% of them.
Pookie
12/15/11 4:50:59PM
Mir was being outwrestled by Nogueira against the cage. Carwin and Lesnar totally had their way with him.

Mir's wrestling is horrid. Trying to improve on it, to fight a wrestler, is an absolute waste of his resources.
ryu99
12/15/11 5:08:03PM
No bodies worried about Reem pulling out of the fight ??? I wouldnt mind seeing Mir / Lesner lll but i would really like to see Mirr / Barnett
bjj1605
12/16/11 3:48:21PM
Here's how I feel about Mir vs Lesnar III:

Lesnar would be the justifiable favorite. My best bet would be on him taking Mir down and using the Donkey Kong strategy to smash his face.

But Mir is so much better standing and so much better at submissions. It wouldn't take much for him to land a big shot or jump on a limb/neck.

I'd go into the fight expecting Lesnar to win, but I'd always be on the look out for something sudden coming from Mir.

Very intriguing fight for that reason. I'd like to see it just to see what happens.
ryu99
12/16/11 3:49:20PM
"Alistar Overeem out of UFC 141 ...rumor Debunked"

http://slumz.boxden.com/f16/alistar-overeem-out-ufc-141-rumor-debunked-1667044/