Lesnar, Mir ready to go (includes Lesnar's salary)

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Lesnar, Mir ready to go (includes Lesnar's salary)
grappler0000
2/2/08 10:55:36AM
Nearly 15 years ago, when the Ultimate Fighting Championship was first conceived by Rorion Gracie, the idea was to showcase the jiu-jitsu their family made decades earlier in Brazil. The whole idea was to show the American public that in a real fight situation, skill and knowledge could beat size and brawn.

In 2008, Brazilian jiu-jitsu is part of an equation when it comes to the skill set of the top fighters. But even after the question was answered, that yes, skills can and usually do beat a bigger, stronger opponent, we have the latest experiment on Saturday night with the Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir heavyweight fight at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

Can a superior athlete, with more size, strength, speed and stamina, and arguably more mental toughness, overcome a lack of experience against a fighter with the skill set most dangerous to him?

Link
DCRage
2/2/08 11:02:20AM
He'll make more tonight than he probably made in his entire WWE career! Considering that most forecasts are for the show to do 500,000-540,000 buys, this could be a big moneymaker for UFC as well.
conlin952
2/2/08 12:24:02PM
I think he walked away from like a 40 million dollar contract with the WWE
Lay_N_Pray
2/2/08 12:33:00PM
Meltzer mentions the diehard MMA fans want to see Lesnar lose because we feel he is a fake and disrespect to the sport.

I know he is a great athlete and he seems to have a tremendous respect for the sport.

This is why MMA fans hate him:

Lesnar is guaranteed $250,000, the highest of anyone on the show, plus has a $200,000 win bonus. Generally speaking, most UFC headliners earn substantially more than their contracted guarantees. Mir, who has a chance to revitalize his career with a win, has a $40,000 guarantee with a $40,000 win bonus.

The two participants in the title match, Nogueira and Sylvia, both have a $100,000 guarantee and a $100,000 win bonus.

Sylvia and Nogueira have poured their whole life into this sport and are two of the greatest heavyweights of all time and Lesnar who has done nothing for the UFC is going to make more? I am sorry but that is a slap in the face to EVERYONE on the card, not just Sylvia and Nogueira. That's why I want him to lose.
juanez13
2/2/08 1:20:10PM

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

Meltzer mentions the diehard MMA fans want to see Lesnar lose because we feel he is a fake and disrespect to the sport.

I know he is a great athlete and he seems to have a tremendous respect for the sport.

Lesnar is guaranteed $250,000, the highest of anyone on the show, plus has a $200,000 win bonus. Generally speaking, most UFC headliners earn substantially more than their contracted guarantees. Mir, who has a chance to revitalize his career with a win, has a $40,000 guarantee with a $40,000 win bonus.

The two participants in the title match, Nogueira and Sylvia, both have a $100,000 guarantee and a $100,000 win bonus.

Sylvia and Nogueira have poured their whole life into this sport and are two of the greatest heavyweights of all time and Lesnar who has done nothing for the UFC is going to make more? I am sorry but that is a slap in the face to EVERYONE on the card, not just Sylvia and Nogueira. That's why I want him to lose.

the only problem with that is that lesnar will be the reason most people will see the show tonight, he is the guy who is gonna fill u the seats, he is making the UFC way more money than Noguiera/sylvia/mir all combined.....in a way it is unfair for other fightters who have dedicated their lives into this sport, but at the same time they arent the main reason why people will buy this
MikeyMikeMichaels
2/2/08 1:57:46PM
The only thing Mir has on Lesnar is experience. Lesnar is in way better shape, stronger, more aggressive, and he has been competing all his life in multiple matches a day during competitions. If Mir wins it's only because on Lesnars lack of experience. Give him time and he could be the best. I don't expect Lesnar to win, but having a wrestling background myself helps me see how he can do it. Lesnar is not disrespecting Mir or the sport, thats the media and the casual mma fans hyping shit up. Its the people who do more talking then fighting themselfs that get caught up in all the hype in this sport.

My prediction: Mir makes Lesnar tap 1st or 2nd round from his back

What I want to see: Lesnar KO/TKO Mir 1st round via ground and pound
RampageOwnedYou
2/2/08 2:14:43PM
I cant believe my eyes on the money he is getting plus the bonus.
If I were a UFC Vet, i'd be pissed. This is unfair to people who have dedicated their lives to the sport, to see some WWE Punk come in and take the money that he is getting.

Wow, more modivation to win, when $200,000 is starring you in the face.
CiaoBaby
2/2/08 2:33:38PM
I think it was around 40 million from the WWE...I dont know, I proabably would have stuck around and just pretended to beat people up, instead of really get my ass kicked!
stock
2/2/08 2:48:47PM

Posted by RampageOwnedYou

I cant believe my eyes on the money he is getting plus the bonus.
If I were a UFC Vet, i'd be pissed. This is unfair to people who have dedicated their lives to the sport, to see some WWE Punk come in and take the money that he is getting.

It is not unfair because they signed a contract.
All of them have the right to non-renew their contract as well.

A signed contract is about the most fair thing imaginable, because it means that both parties without condition agree to the terms.

It is not surprising that Lesnar is getting paid much more than any of the other fighters on the card. Many more people want to see Lesnar fight than Mir. Probably not in the MMA world, but definitely in the world. Lesnar's popularity is probably 10 fold or more than that of Lesnar. If you think of the amount of money that WWE brings in on Events, PPVs, and TV deals a year compared to that of the UFC, it is a drop in the pan.
Lay_N_Pray
2/2/08 3:08:55PM
I understand completely why Lesnar is the one making the money, I know he is the draw. At the same time, if I were a fighter and I knew I busted my ass and beat the best the world had to offer time and time again I would feel disrespected I guess.

It makes sense from a business stand point but what I am saying is that is the reason I want him to lose. Not because I think he isnt a legitimate fighter, because I think he is. I just think he is getting pampered a little too much right off the bat that's all.
roger
2/2/08 3:15:31PM
it think it's dumb he can have one pro fight and he can just jump in the octagon when there are better fighter that have not see the octagon he got in for his name and his size
JimiMak
2/2/08 4:08:36PM
He's got smart lawyers and good management that was able to negotiate him a great deal. Plus he comes w/ his own hype machine. Can't blame him for getting what he can.
CornishMMA
2/2/08 4:43:35PM

Posted by roger

it think it's dumb he can have one pro fight and he can just jump in the octagon when there are better fighter that have not see the octagon he got in for his name and his size

Sssssure ................. thats whats dumb

Get over it people, Brock has a wealth of potential even if he loses to Mir, he will make the UFC ALOT of $$$ and will add a lot of fans from the WWE so it will help the sport of MMA, get used to that fact and embrace it!
KYGUY07
2/2/08 4:43:40PM

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

I agree with you 100%
jomatty
2/3/08 8:55:32AM
i can see why fighters might feel slighted but i think it is unreasonable to hold lesnar responsible for it. if anyone should be mad at anyone then people should be mad at the ufc (although i think that is silly because lesnar is a bigger draw so from a business perspective he desreves more money from their perspective).

i mean, what do people want lesnar to do, not negotiate the best contract that he can? that would be stupid. he said he understood why some people were pissed that he "got a t-bone before some others" but that doesnt mean he should turn down the t-bone. if mayweather comes to mma he is not gonna start at the bottome making $7k with a $7k win bonus. he is a big draw and will be paid accordingly.

if you want to be mad at someone be mad at the ufc for not paying enough to their veterans, not for paying a lot to someone, and think about it and realize that you cant be mad at someone for negotiating the best contract they can for themselves.
madfrog0
2/5/08 3:16:04PM
i just wish this went a bit longer.
RMFG_187
2/8/08 10:58:22AM
wow, Lesnar's lucky to get payed that much, only a handful of fighters make that kind of money