Does Lesnar have the longest reach in the UFC's HW division?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Does Lesnar have the longest reach in the UFC's HW division?
grappler0000
2/6/08 11:43:15AM
I'm sure Brock's wide chest probably contributes to this, but does he have the longest reach in the UFC's Heavyweight division?

I'm assuming he does, as I was surprised to see his reach listed at 81", while Sylvia's was only 80".

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1 Photo Attachment 2
Rush
2/6/08 11:47:34AM
As I've said before, I don't think the numbers the UFC lists are good indications of reach advantage. The way they measure reach is not relevant to the way people fight
grappler0000
2/6/08 11:58:59AM

Posted by Rush

As I've said before, I don't think the numbers the UFC lists are good indications of reach advantage. The way they measure reach is not relevant to the way people fight

That was my thought as well...while Lesnar's wingspan is greater, there's no doubt in my mind that Sylvia's arms are longer.
StevenSeagal
2/6/08 12:24:18PM
They might measure middle finger to middle finger and measure across the chest. In which case Brock's chest would give him length. Just my guess.

Makes more sense if you measure armpit to middle finger of each arm and add them together... Who knows how they actually do it
postman
2/6/08 1:05:13PM
I think it would make more sense to measure from the armpit to the end of their closed fist. Last I checked your not alowed to poke in the eye! ok not the best Icon but you get the squint.
Jackelope
2/6/08 1:36:59PM
Even if he did at this late in the game for him I don't think he'd ever be able to develop the standup to utilize his reach and be a KO artist.

Lesnar's footwork is horrible from the small amounts of it we've seen (stutter stepping) and like the typical muscle-bound jock I doubt there's any semblance of fluidity in his striking.
jgordon85
2/6/08 2:14:36PM
i noticed this when matt serra fought. the stats said that he had a reach advantage over somebody i forgot i think it was chris lytle. but joe rogan pointed that out saying that the ufc should take the reach stats like boxing does from armpit to fingers. i do too.
CactusBob
2/6/08 2:37:06PM
They measure reach from hand to hand (not sure which part of the hand) and I believe it is across the back, which makes that stat bullshit. Most of the numbers are somewhat suspect, I dont put much stalk in them.
Mayhem13
2/6/08 4:01:50PM
yeah reach doesnt mean a whole lot, when you include takedowns, kicks, knees, and submissions.

Hong Choi had a 196 inch reach to Fedors 70 something reach...and still lost.
Pookie
2/6/08 4:03:51PM

Posted by Mayhem13

yeah reach doesnt mean a whole lot, when you include takedowns, kicks, knees, and submissions.

Hong Choi had a 196 inch reach to Fedors 70 something reach...and still lost.

Holy jesus 196 inch each? thats more than double that of muhammed ali
Mayhem13
2/6/08 4:14:35PM
yep each arm.

actually I have no clue..I was just making up a big number...
MMAnomale
2/6/08 4:58:07PM
Does anyone know Tre Tellingman's reach? No, his arms would have to be REALLY long because his shoulders/chest aren't that wide.
I'll have to check my DVD and watch the Cabbage/BigFoot Silva fight because I know Silva's reach is pretty long. Also, what about that 7foot7inch Asian guy they talked about fighting in some org. I forget his name but there was a post and picture of him on this website. I also don't remember Giant Silva's reach.
They measure across the back from the tip of one middle finger to the tip of the other middle finger.
Rush
2/6/08 8:55:54PM
I still think they should measure from chin to outstretched arm making a fist. It's not representative of all types of punches, but it is better than arm span.

Really, a lot of the time the stats are BS, because most guys weigh in the same, so why do they put their weigh in stat. It's really only meaningful for HW. If they put their weight on fight day, that would be something else...

Their age and height are useful, but only to an extent.
bls1919
2/8/08 9:00:53PM
i wouldn't be suprised if brock had the longest reach ..especialy if they go from middle finger-tip to middle finger-tip. His chest size would definatly give him a bigger span than Tim. He also posses the biggest hands in UFC history