Lesnar faces must-win against Herring

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Lesnar faces must-win against Herring
POLL: Who Wins
Brock Lesnar 48% (23)
Heath Herring 42% (20)
Who Knows???? 10% (5)
Sam_Rothstein
8/5/08 10:52:54AM
On Saturday night, Brock Lesnar goes into the cage with Heath Herring to answer a question: Is previous fame heading into a mixed martial arts career a blessing or a curse?

Lesnar, a former NCAA wrestling champion and World Wrestling Entertainment star, is one of the greatest athletic prospects to ever come into the sport. He has size, strength and, most of all, incredible quickness and reflexes for a man who had to cut weight to make the 265-pound heavyweight limit.

But as he heads into Saturday’s UFC 87 showdown against rugged veteran Heath Herring, he runs the risk that his headlining fame will be over just as quickly as it started.

Click here for full article
bojangalz
8/5/08 11:14:09AM
I understand that Brock can't help but be a big draw given his history history in Pro Wrestling. So I can see the reasons for putting him on a main card, it just plain makes financial sense for the UFC to do so.

Here is my problem, and I know I'll get flamed for it by some....While Brock is probably the most physically gifted HW in MMA today, his MMA experience is on par with the likes of Valesquez and Carwin. You don't see the UFC putting those guys at risk of starting out 0-2 for the company. And you don't see the UFC putting those guys out front-and-center either.

I also know that Brock wants to "fight only the best." But seriously, they should ease him in at least a little. I don't understand how he didn't start out dismantling the likes of O'Brien or Hardonk for starters. Those guys have been around a while. You could make the case that they are legitimate competition. THEN let Brock lick his chops against some higher end fighters.

I'm not certain that the UFC hasn't handled Brock's stardum any better than Kimbo's. They are polar opposites in the match-ups that they have taken: Kimbo is getting ripped for fighting total losers, but Brock may find himself searching for a new promotion soon. Which is the better career path so far?

And what's even worse is that if Lesnar loses this match, the UFC will be forced to feed him a total pud just to get him back in the win column. All that will do is further the belief that he cannot compete against the top talent.

To me, it just seams that the UFC hasn't done due diligents in trying to build up Lesnar as a star in this sport.
Twenty20Dollars
8/5/08 11:16:29AM
I think UFC handled lesnar all. Dont get me wrong though im a lesnar fan since his WWE days. You know how cain and shane are getting lower level fighters to face but they've also had more fights than lesnar.

So lesnar should have been started off with lower level fighters to face so that he can work his way into MMA, since UFC signed to a good contract or thats what it says in the article. It wouldnt be good to sign lesnar to this deal and have him lose because he's only facing big names for his first couple of fights and then he'll face to leave the org and try to put together some wins elsewhere and then comeback to the ufc.
SpiderSilva
8/5/08 11:22:41AM
I think part of the reason he is fighting top fighters in the UFC is cause he gets paid a ton of money
Branwest
8/5/08 11:42:06AM
I have always, and will continue to hate 'professional wrestling,' ala the WWE, TNT, etc.
Brock Lesnar has tremendous upside. Aside from the fact that he's a huge money draw, he is quite young, and is a two-time Division I All-American wrestler. With more work on his JJ and other facets, he may turn out to be a good fighter.
The UFC has thrown some serious talent at him. Mir is one of the best JJ guys, along with Big Nog, Werdum, and others, in the HW division. And now he has to fight Herring, who has some great experience fighting high-caliber HW's. The UFC should've did what EliteXC has done with Kimbo. Throw some lower-caliber fighters to build him and his confidence up. Granted, EliteXC doesn't have near the talent in the HW division as the UFC, but still (they do have Bigfoot Silva, who'll probably be part of the future of the HW division).
Another problem is that Brock is so muscular. The more muscles you have, the harder the heart has to work to feed oxygen to those parts of the body. He was winded after his fight with Mir. Imagine if this fight with Herring goes past the first round! He'll fall over dead in the cage. You never know though, his conditioning may have improved. I guess we'll see.
saemskin
8/5/08 11:46:03AM
The title of this thread is dumb.
This fight is far from a "must win" for either fighter.
D0wnUnd6e6r
8/5/08 12:08:11PM
Herring by Headshot yeeeeeehaaaaaw
Twenty20Dollars
8/5/08 12:29:54PM

Posted by Branwest

I have always, and will continue to hate 'professional wrestling,' ala the WWE, TNT, etc.
Brock Lesnar has tremendous upside. Aside from the fact that he's a huge money draw, he is quite young, and is a two-time Division I All-American wrestler. With more work on his JJ and other facets, he may turn out to be a good fighter.
The UFC has thrown some serious talent at him. Mir is one of the best JJ guys, along with Big Nog, Werdum, and others, in the HW division. And now he has to fight Herring, who has some great experience fighting high-caliber HW's. The UFC should've did what EliteXC has done with Kimbo. Throw some lower-caliber fighters to build him and his confidence up. Granted, EliteXC doesn't have near the talent in the HW division as the UFC, but still (they do have Bigfoot Silva, who'll probably be part of the future of the HW division).
Another problem is that Brock is so muscular. The more muscles you have, the harder the heart has to work to feed oxygen to those parts of the body. He was winded after his fight with Mir. Imagine if this fight with Herring goes past the first round! He'll fall over dead in the cage. You never know though, his conditioning may have improved. I guess we'll see.

i dont know if i would consider brock lesnar young at 31. but i said what you said should have had brock have some lesser fighters to get some exp and wins before throwing him in with the big dogs.

but brock needs to win this fight though because if he looses after herring he might have to go somewhere else to put some wins together. Or if he looses to herring and then maybe they will give brock some lesser opponents.
silverbullet
8/5/08 12:58:13PM

Posted by bojangalz

Here is my problem, and I know I'll get flamed for it by some....While Brock is probably the most physically gifted HW in MMA today, his MMA experience is on par with the likes of Valesquez and Carwin. You don't see the UFC putting those guys at risk of starting out 0-2 for the company. And you don't see the UFC putting those guys out front-and-center either.

Lesnar has a really good chance at losing to the UFC HW bottom feeders. Considering how much money he makes per fight, it does make sense for the UFC to put him against top competition. When Lesnar gets dismantled, at least he fought the top fighters.
billycarnage
8/5/08 6:53:47PM
I have thought about Brock Lesnar's purpose in the UFC for a while because I don't like him and I want him to lose. When I put myself in Dana's shoes it is beneficial to have a draw like Brock on a main card. For the UFC it is a win win situation. The UFC has always targeted the pro wrestling fans in their promotion and marketing. To promote Brock as the future of the HW division or this beast that is going to devour every opponent til he gets to the top is very appealing to the potential MMA fan. If Brock wins then they will have that sense of pride like their team just won the Superbowl. If he loses then they will realize that there is a real combat sport full of bigger, tougher, meaner athletes and its called MMA. MMA makes WWE look like a ballet.

I like Heath a lot and I expect him to look better than ever as he makes a fool out of Brock and honorably represents Mixed Martial Arts.

War Heath
BlueSkiesBurn
8/5/08 9:57:49PM
I believe Lesnar has a legitimate shot at being a decent MMA fighter. I stop at decent because I believe time is not on his side in terms of developing the other facets of his game which will make him a force. At 31 he's light years behind fighters like Werdum, Big Nog and Mir when you assess over all skill set. I believe Brock's best shot is to develop a great stand up game and semi-decent JJ skills and he could be another decent contender in the HW division. I believe Herring will win this fight but will be pulling for Lesnar to put on a performance which makes a statement. I think a split decision win for Herring would be beneficial to both fighters in this instance. I agree that to put Lesnar in the octagon with a former HW champ for his first bout was a complete mistake even as good as his stand up and takedowns were everyone saw a sub coming eventually. I think if he loses this fight maybe a showdown between him and Cain would be a great platform to assess whether or not the UFC invested too much into a fighter without a great amount of experience. 2 amazing wrestlers squaring off. Man that would be great!
bls1919
8/5/08 10:38:06PM
It going to be fast and furious in the first min and a half. brock might get him there. If not i say Herring tries to take down brock to no avail and gets GnPd soon after. With Brocks hype i instinctive want to root against him.....but i think he is going to make a splash in the HW division. If he wins and Cain Velesquez is ready i would love to see them hook up and brawl.
BlueSkiesBurn
8/5/08 10:50:05PM
Either way WAR Cain!!
EliasG
8/6/08 12:29:25AM
Seriously, they thought Mir was a can and tossed him to Frank. Truth is, Mir has looked like a can for a long time....until he fought Lesnar. Then he looked like a submission genius. He hasn't looked that good....well in forever. It's even inspired him to start working out again judging by the way he looks in his WEC announcing job.
Kracker_Jap
8/6/08 12:35:53AM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Herring by Headshot yeeeeeehaaaaaw

Lesnar is going to punch him in the face
BlueSkiesBurn
8/6/08 12:42:17AM
Brock Lesnar by Batista Bomb
Svartorm
8/6/08 12:44:34AM
I honestly think hes intended to lose this fight so they can renegotiate his contract for WAY less than hes making, and then build him up. The reason being, if they wanted to give him a legit win, they would have given him Kongo, not Herring. Herring has a decent track record against wrestlers and is more likely to avoid the GnP and tough out the fight. Kongo on the other hand, has notoriously bad takedown defense and would be an almost guarenteed win for Lesnar. You can even argue Kongo is the bigger name for beating Cro-cop, whereas Herrings biggest victory in the UFC is Kongo.

They just wasted $100,000 on Gonzaga so he could murder McCully in a dark match, and I very much doubt they care to do that with a $250,000 Lesnar. A loss, and then a slow build back to stardom makes the most sense.
BlueSkiesBurn
8/6/08 12:46:16AM
Haha, so what happens if he wins? Gonzaga vs Lesnar? Kongo vs Lesnar?
BlueSkiesBurn
8/6/08 12:54:33AM
Better yet, Dana White, trying to compete with Affliction 2 says he has a major announcement which will be unveiled during a free fight night airing the same night. After the final fight Dana announces that both Anderson Silva and Chuck Liddell will be moving to heavyweight and Chuck's first opponent will be Brock.
saemskin
8/6/08 8:47:46AM
oooooh!
Gonzaga vs. Lesnar
2 big ass monkeys going at it, it would be a case of the missing neck! Neither of them have one, it appears to have been stolen by their shoulders. GG would ream his poop shoot for sure, but I would love to see that clinch and also how GG's black belt fares against Brock's wrasslin. GG is 260-ish isn't he?
BlueSkiesBurn
8/6/08 2:49:34PM
HAHA, it's like Mario is Missing then, eh?
casey64
8/6/08 3:03:24PM
I f Brock goes out there in the octagon and gives it his all I think he can pull off a victory,