Lesnar blasts UFC toward record year

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Lesnar blasts UFC toward record year
Wolfenstein
12/13/08 2:27:15AM
When the dust settled on an unusual year, the biggest news of 2008 was the emergence of Lesnar as the year’s pay-per-view king. Lesnar’s 2.2 million buys over three fights made him the most-watched PPV fighter in 2008. His total was the second highest total in UFC history, trailing only Tito Ortiz, who did 2.25 million in headlining three events .

link
gsquat
12/13/08 10:04:11AM
The Villan types sell well because, if nothing else, people want to watch to see them lose. I don't really have anything against the guy, but he left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouth after the Herring fight.
MMAcca
12/13/08 11:23:08AM
7 events in the top 10

WAR MMA!
MikeyG
12/13/08 12:30:42PM
this is a very sad statistic for the sport and i would rather watch unknowns fight than lesnar and his mediocre rise to an undeserved title shot off his name against randy a guy who shouldnt have been considered champ and should have been striped but came back when he felt like coming back because nog was tied up, not only is it danas fault brock is champ but its mostly randys fault brock is champ and i know he thought he could beat him but theres nothing i wanted less than to have brock as so called "hw champ" and i dont consider him champ anyway, nog is champ until beaten which mir and brock will not do

to dana, brock and randy for this mess, i mean ppv-a-palooza
higdon10
12/13/08 12:47:21PM
The guy is definitley a draw.
telnights
12/13/08 1:26:20PM

Posted by MikeyG

this is a very sad statistic for the sport and i would rather watch unknowns fight than lesnar and his mediocre rise to an undeserved title shot off his name against randy a guy who shouldnt have been considered champ and should have been striped but came back when he felt like coming back because nog was tied up, not only is it danas fault brock is champ but its mostly randys fault brock is champ and i know he thought he could beat him but theres nothing i wanted less than to have brock as so called "hw champ" and i dont consider him champ anyway, nog is champ until beaten which mir and brock will not do

Just because you don't like Lesnar doesn't mean other people don't. He earned a title shot more than Randy did and like it or not he did something Sylvia and Gonzaga couldn't do and that's stop Randy. He not only beat Randy but beat the guy that almost stopped Nog and that's Hearing. Like it or not Lesnar is a top 10 HW and the UFC's HW Champ. Lesnar is a big draw and that's not a bad thing because it brings in more people to the sport. I find it funny that people still hate on Lesnar and just because he is a big name and X-pro wrestler. I bet you anything if he never was a pro wrestler most of your haters would be talking about how he is the next big thing. So Lesnar isn't a bad thing for the sport at all if anything he is the best thing to happen to the sport in a few years. This is because of his drawing power and ability to get new fans watching.
grappler0000
12/13/08 1:53:19PM

Posted by telnights

Posted by MikeyG

Just because you don't like Lesnar doesn't mean other people don't. He earned a title shot more than Randy did and like it or not he did something Sylvia and Gonzaga couldn't do and that's stop Randy. He not only beat Randy but beat the guy that almost stopped Nog and that's Hearing. Like it or not Lesnar is a top 10 HW and the UFC's HW Champ. Lesnar is a big draw and that's not a bad thing because it brings in more people to the sport. I find it funny that people still hate on Lesnar and just because he is a big name and X-pro wrestler. I bet you anything if he never was a pro wrestler most of your haters would be talking about how he is the next big thing. So Lesnar isn't a bad thing for the sport at all if anything he is the best thing to happen to the sport in a few years. This is because of his drawing power and ability to get new fans watching.

I agree. Before the fight with Heath, people said the same thing...and after they said, well of coarse he should have beat him. Before the Randy fight, people said they'd give him his props if he could pull off the win. And here we are again. I guess it doesn't matter what he does; people will find the reasons to talk bad about him. I find it funny that he started MMA at about the same age as Couture with a very similar background, yet people's perception of the two are completely different...I guess that's what a few years of pro wrestling will do to your opinion.
The-Don
12/13/08 5:48:37PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by telnights

Posted by MikeyG

I agree. Before the fight with Heath, people said the same thing...and after they said, well of coarse he should have beat him. Before the Randy fight, people said they'd give him his props if he could pull off the win. And here we are again. I guess it doesn't matter what he does; people will find the reasons to talk bad about him. I find it funny that he started MMA at about the same age as Couture with a very similar background, yet people's perception of the two are completely different...I guess that's what a few years of pro wrestling will do to your opinion.

My question is, Whats wrong with Pro wrestling? They are entertainers. They stopped claiming years ago it was real. It been knows for like 2 decades everything is staged. They are physical actors in a soap opera for guys. They openly admit to play fighting. Of course you will get guys in the WWE and such saying shit about MMA on occasion because its all a show nothing more. Guys like Brock Lesnar and Bobby Lashley got tired of putting on a show and want to get back into actual competition again. Why should they be hated? if anything they should be applauded.
Now was Brock kinda fast tracked into a title shot in the UFC? Yea he was but that is because he would be a huge draw and is a name more Americans know even more so then Chuck or Randy. Its great business sense from the UFC's stand point. And he won 2 of 3 fights and managed to beat Randy in teh process... True he still has to face the winner of Mir and Nog Mir will be a good test to see what he has actually learned so far. and Nog is the 2nd best HW in the world in my eyes and the eyes of most. So a big test remains for Brock. he needs to beat Mir if Mir wins... If Nog wins if Brock can just do a good showing against him I think he will be legit. After all the #1 fighter was unable to finish Big Nog.
MikeyG
12/13/08 8:20:24PM

Posted by The-Don

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by telnights

Posted by MikeyG

My question is, Whats wrong with Pro wrestling? They are entertainers. They stopped claiming years ago it was real. It been knows for like 2 decades everything is staged. They are physical actors in a soap opera for guys. They openly admit to play fighting. Of course you will get guys in the WWE and such saying shit about MMA on occasion because its all a show nothing more. Guys like Brock Lesnar and Bobby Lashley got tired of putting on a show and want to get back into actual competition again. Why should they be hated? if anything they should be applauded.
Now was Brock kinda fast tracked into a title shot in the UFC? Yea he was but that is because he would be a huge draw and is a name more Americans know even more so then Chuck or Randy. Its great business sense from the UFC's stand point. And he won 2 of 3 fights and managed to beat Randy in teh process... True he still has to face the winner of Mir and Nog Mir will be a good test to see what he has actually learned so far. and Nog is the 2nd best HW in the world in my eyes and the eyes of most. So a big test remains for Brock. he needs to beat Mir if Mir wins... If Nog wins if Brock can just do a good showing against him I think he will be legit. After all the #1 fighter was unable to finish Big Nog.

when did i say i had anything against wwe? i hate the fact that randy ducked nog by waiting until he was tied up and fighting a guy who only got a shot off his name, this isnt so much about his name as it is about credibility, you guys can gang up me thats fine but dont pretend lesnar earned his shot, he got a shot off his name no arguments and i could care less if him being champ gets more ppv's, why was my post so twisted around? this is absolutly ridiculous that ppl are giving brock the benefit of the doubt just because he beat herring...so what? what wrestler hasnt beat him he was 1-1 when getting a shot against an overhyped champ with a terrible record who should have been stripped

nog is the champ, war nog
telnights
12/15/08 11:08:36PM

Posted by MikeyG
when did i say i had anything against wwe? i hate the fact that randy ducked nog by waiting until he was tied up and fighting a guy who only got a shot off his name, this isnt so much about his name as it is about credibility, you guys can gang up me thats fine but dont pretend lesnar earned his shot, he got a shot off his name no arguments and i could care less if him being champ gets more ppv's, why was my post so twisted around? this is absolutly ridiculous that ppl are giving brock the benefit of the doubt just because he beat herring...so what? what wrestler hasnt beat him he was 1-1 when getting a shot against an overhyped champ with a terrible record who should have been stripped

How was Randy over hyped he beat both Silva (was the champ at the time) and Gonzaga (the guy that walked over Cro Cop). But let me guess they were over hyped too. Lesnar not only beat Herring but he made him look like he didn't belong at HW. Now that he KOed Randy all of a sudden Randy is over hyped. BTW no one was ganging up on you its just clear by your post that you don't like Lesnar and are unwilling to give him the credit he is due.
MikeyG
12/16/08 4:33:54AM

Posted by telnights

Posted by MikeyG

How was Randy over hyped he beat both Silva (was the champ at the time) and Gonzaga (the guy that walked over Cro Cop). But let me guess they were over hyped too. Lesnar not only beat Herring but he made him look like he didn't belong at HW. Now that he KOed Randy all of a sudden Randy is over hyped. BTW no one was ganging up on you its just clear by your post that you don't like Lesnar and are unwilling to give him the credit he is due.

lesnar dosnt deserve it going 1-1 dosnt validate a shot no ifs and or buts just because he can beat the so called champ who ducked nog and took an easier fight dosnt mean he should automatically get cred as being that great, i never thought randy was that good as long as i watched him or much of his fights, its not like that all the sudden, since he lost....again and makes a 16-9 record seem legendary if the right fights are given to him at the right time, he was unworthy to fight sylvia and a few other fights in the past, overhyped and i would pick most to all of the top 10 heavyweights to beat him, randy and brock have nothing on nog, not even close
mrsmiley
12/16/08 3:45:34PM

Posted by MikeyG

In a way I agree with you.
I think this is bad for the sport/yet good for the sport at the same time.
Having a guy with Brocks record,regardless if he's good or not,makes the HW division,if not the sport seem a little shallow.I hate to say that,I really do,but deep down that's how I feel.I think Brock has got talent,but they pretty much handed him his shot at the title,without paying many dues to get it.It's like giving the 16 year old the keys to the sports car.
Sure,he passes the drivers test,but give him to much power at one time,and I guarantee you it's only a matter of weeks before he'll total it.

He's bringing in the money,but it will only be a matter of time before other orgs (exsisting ones and ones yet to come around),will bring in guys like Lesnar,and give them title shots within a fight or two.
What the UFC will profit from,imo,could downgrade the overall quality of the sport,and even hurt them in the long run.

What really gets me angry though is the fact Brock was only brought into the limelight once he was brought into the UFC.
I would bet 100 dollars if Brock would have stayed in K-1,then migrated to Affliction,and fought Fedor (and lost),everyone would say he was nothing but a freak show fight anyway,and a hand me win to Fedor.Even if he had fought good competition outside the UFC.
mrsmiley
12/16/08 3:49:50PM

Posted by The-Don

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by telnights

Posted by MikeyG

I would say their is nothing wrong with Pro Wrestling.What America is expericing is MMA,Japan has already seen.
Guys like Maeda and Carl Gotch were pro wrestlers and Pioneers in MMA in Japan.
I think it's more of the fact that they seem to be banking more on Brocks name than anything else.
I personaly like Brock and picked him to beat Randy,I just see bad things following the sport if the trend continues.