Leonard Garcia discusses arrest, drug charges

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Leonard Garcia discusses arrest, drug charges
jiujitsufreak74
4/7/08 9:30:03PM
WEC fighter Leonard Garcia, who was recently arrested for his alleged involvement in a major cocaine trafficking ring in Texas, vows his innocence and plans to fight all charges.

Garcia addressed the situation with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) when reached by email.

"I am fighting it because there is nothing but someone saying I was involved," said Garcia, who was released from jail on a recognizance bond and will return to court on May 5. "I hope to have a smile on my face after this is said and done, but I feel like I'm in a fight for my life."

LINK
chubbud22
4/8/08 3:32:20AM
That sucks if he is really innocent to have your name drug through the mud like that.
Waverunner
4/8/08 5:21:46AM
leonard coulda been great at 145, hope this is just b/s
saemskin
4/8/08 7:30:26AM
good luck bro...
GlancyMMA
4/8/08 10:49:41AM
This kid has so much heart... (ie. the battle with Heurta) I'd love to see him get past this BS.... He's a crazy 145'er

I think the frequent drug tests for fights would be some help in proving he isn't a user at least....

Quick edit.... by "Battle"... I do mean beating... sadly....
xposipx
4/8/08 3:03:21PM
Glad to see no one is being immature or racist in this thread. Props to you guys and I hope his story is true of old friends bringing his name up because they are no longer in contact. Even if he is guilty I hope we see him again because he seems to have genuinely turned his life around.
JimiMak
4/8/08 5:43:41PM
Doubt he's innocent, nothing against him just judging by the majority of cases like this, they don't tend to make as many wrong arrests in a case like this as they do ppl they just don't have enuf on.

If found guilty on all charges he'll never get the chance to fight professionally again.
jiujitsufreak74
4/8/08 7:00:10PM
well from my perspective i say there is no way he is innocent. i just can't see it. i mean there is a chance but let's be real here. even his statement is carefully worded so that it does not make any severe implications. now i know he is not supposed to talk about the case but his statements still seem a little off imo. with that said i will support him through this and wish him the best and from what it looks like they do not have too much strong evidence against him so i can see him walking. But they just don't charge anyone with this kind of stuff so let us not turn an ignorant eye to this.
xposipx
4/8/08 9:03:45PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

well from my perspective i say there is no way he is innocent. i just can't see it. i mean there is a chance but let's be real here. even his statement is carefully worded so that it does not make any severe implications. now i know he is not supposed to talk about the case but his statements still seem a little off imo. with that said i will support him through this and wish him the best and from what it looks like they do not have too much strong evidence against him so i can see him walking. But they just don't charge anyone with this kind of stuff so let us not turn an ignorant eye to this.

I'd be willing to say whistle-blowers are wrong half of the time if not even more. According to him someone just mentioned his name because his group of friends were involved. If that's the case I could easily see it not being true. Either way, if he's found innocent he didn't have a big enough part in it to matter.
telnights
4/8/08 11:55:48PM
If this was just Texas charging him then I would say maybe he is telling the truth but this is Federal they tend to not make mistakes about this stuff. I fairly sure he is going to do some hard time.
jiujitsufreak74
4/9/08 6:13:07PM

Posted by telnights

If this was just Texas charging him then I would say maybe he is telling the truth but this is Federal they tend to not make mistakes about this stuff. I fairly sure he is going to do some hard time.

that is how i see it as well only maybe he might get off with some minor charges if he wasn't heavily involved or if there is little evidence against him personally. the Federal courts, and don't quote me on this, have a 90% conviction rate to my knowledge and are very careful about their cases. however in big group charges like this one tend to have one or two guys that are able to walk due to the sheer number. anyway i hope for the best but im not going to pretend like everything is definitely going to be fine.
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
4/10/08 6:42:30AM
I don't believe it. I believe that he use to be involved. But then he blew up in the MMA world and he got out. Since he got out those "old friends" are prolly disgruntled.

I do feel that he will be charged and convicted though.