Who is The Legend of Legends in sports?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Who is The Legend of Legends in sports?
POLL: Legends
Brett Favre 9% (4)
Muhammad Ali 18% (8)
Micheal Jordan 44% (20)
Wayne Gretzky 7% (3)
Babe Ruth 18% (8)
Tiger Woods 4% (2)
Taylor8766
3/23/08 4:45:18PM
There is so many legends, from each sport that have retired as the best of the best (except Tiger Woods), and changed the sport they have played, and it's hard to pick just 6, for a poll. However, I think that I have narrowed it down and made a good 6, if theres any other just say.
AchillesHeel
3/23/08 4:50:03PM
Of those you listed, I think it comes down to Muhammad Ali and Michael Jordan, although if Pelé were an option, I might vote for him. Babe Ruth is probably the greatest sports figure in the U.S., but I doubt he has any cache elsewhere.

I'm going with Ali.
RMFG_187
3/23/08 5:50:41PM
I Have NEVER EVER seen the way these following people can totally dominate a sport:

Tiger Woods-Phenom at age 18 and Grand Slams
Roger Federer-Grand Slams
Wayne Gretzky- 50 Goals in 39 Games!!!!
murphy_16
3/23/08 6:55:45PM
as well id go wit Pele or my boy george best was also amazing but Pele would probably win it for me
WhiteWidow
3/23/08 7:05:53PM
Hockey = Gretzky or Mark Messier

Golf = Tiger

MMA = Fedor

B-ball = Michael Jordan

Poker = Stu Ungar(RIP) or Chip Reese(RIP)
WhiteWidow
3/23/08 7:07:10PM

Posted by RMFG_187

Wayne Gretzky- 50 Goals in 39 Games!!!!

not to mention 92 goals in 1 season!! that will never be beaten...ever
Shawn91111
3/23/08 7:08:56PM
I went with Ruth, not that the others werent deserving Id go with Jordan second. I might have gone with Wayne if I knew more about hockey and how great his records and accomplishments were to that sport. Ruth still 60 years after his death and 80 years after his prime his records and what he did for the sport and the evolution from the deadball era was truly incredible. I wish I could have witnessed some of that.
bls1919
3/23/08 7:31:37PM
"The Great One" if hockey were known in more than just North america . He is definatly the best to ever play the game of hockey. Other than him i would say Ali. His charisma and his dominance were unpresedented(sp)
Copenhagen
3/23/08 7:51:20PM

Posted by WhiteWidow

Hockey = Gretzky or Mark Messier

Golf = Tiger

MMA = Fedor

B-ball = Michael Jordan

Poker = Stu Ungar(RIP) or Chip Reese(RIP)

Stu was possibly the greatest poker player. He was without a doubt the greatest gin rummy player though.
SpiderSilva
3/23/08 8:01:48PM
Jordan redefined the way NBA player present themselfs overall this man changed everything about he NBA he was great no one is looked back apon like jordan what do they say about players is he the Jordan will he redefine this sport Tiger was the "Jordan" of gulf anyway this man is a head above the rest
CantAndleDaRiddum
3/23/08 8:59:50PM
I Wanna Be Like Mike
Gipper
3/23/08 9:27:02PM
favre is the man
JunCTion
3/24/08 12:43:23AM
lance armstrong
carl lewis / jackie joyner-kersee
pele / ronaldo
kareem abdul-jabbar / jordan
pete sampras / roger federer
jim thorpe
michael phelps
secretariat
cmill21
3/24/08 1:55:04AM
Where I come from the only person who's close to Wayne is Bobby Orr.
ocho-cinco
3/24/08 2:29:35AM
I'm not saying these guys guys are the best ever, but I feel they could use a mention. Zinedine Zidane, Wilt Chambelin, Bobby Orr, Pete Sampras, Jack Nicklaus, John Elway, Sandy Koufax, to name a few.
Taylor8766
3/24/08 3:17:53AM

Posted by ocho-cinco

I'm not saying these guys guys are the best ever, but I feel they could use a mention. Zinedine Zidane, Wilt Chambelin, Bobby Orr, Pete Sampras, Jack Nicklaus, John Elway, Sandy Koufax, to name a few.

oh ya for sure, there's too many to choose from, so I just picked the six that I felt where the best in each of their sports. I should have put up Pele instead of Tiger Woods, I completly forgot about him as soon as i posted it i realised it.
hippysmacker
3/24/08 4:58:23AM
Except in MMA , whick is realtively new as a established sport, I won't include actiive people. I think Legend implies time fro the tales to grow

MMA- Randy, fedor, Hughes, Royce , Sakuraba
Baseball- Ruth, Jimmie Foxx, Hank Aaron, Mays, Koufax
Football- Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Jerry Rice , Butkis, Montana
Basketball- Chamberlain, Oscar Robertson, Jordan, Magic, Bird
Boxing- Sugar Ray Robinson, Joe louis, Ali, Marciano, Hagler
Hockey, Gretzky, Howe, Orr, Esposito, Richard
]
I'm know I'm leaving out a ton of legends, but it's off the top of my head, and I wanted to limit it to only 5

cowcatcher
3/24/08 12:45:13PM
because of how long his records held up for, and the fact that some of his legend is still relevant and disputed(the called shot), i went with ruth. as time goes by some of the others could be up there, but a legend takes time to grow, and most of the others havent been gone long enough to really know how talked about they will be in years to come. long term relevance is what makes a legend legendary.
AchillesHeel
3/24/08 12:57:21PM
You know, I think I would change my vote to Michael Jordan, if I could. If you're looking for a "Legend of Legends", I think you need to combine dominance, influence, and fame.

In terms of "changed the sport they have played", Babe Ruth and Michael Jordan are the first two names in my head. I don't know if Ali or Pele really revolutionized their sport, so much as they popularized it.

Conversely, I would argue that Dennis Eckersley and Cal Ripken changed the way baseball is played, and that Walter Johnson dominated the game, but none of them have tremendous name-recognition beyond fans of the sport.

I'm not sure guys like Chamberlain, Gretzky and Favre achieved a level of superstardom outside of their sport the way that Ruth, Jordan, Woods or Pele did. Jordan, Ali, and Pele are also international figures. I don't know how well-known Babe Ruth is outside the United States, for instance.

So I think only Jordan achieves the trifecta, for me.
CantAndleDaRiddum
3/24/08 1:31:27PM

Posted by ocho-cinco

Zidane? Whatever happened to Pele?
pv3Hpv3p
3/24/08 1:38:52PM
I voted Ali...

It was more a mixture of the right place at the right time sort of thing IMO... Ali meant so much more to so many people than just a great champion... He transcended the sports realm and became the icon of a cultural movement as well as one of the greatest HW champions boxing has ever seen
owen1
3/24/08 3:32:38PM
I voted for Jordan but other than him id go with Pele or Sugar Ray Robinson.
coldchillin
3/24/08 10:05:24PM
I would have to include Magic Johnson on that list... he was the greatest basketball player I ever saw, he anchored the Lakers to all those championships in perhaps the best era of basketball we will ever see. Magic was just that dude, no knock on Jordan but anybody who saw Magic in his prime knows he was the best all-around player ever. He was even great in college. The stats back it up too: he averaged 19.5 points, 11.2 assists and 7.2 rebounds... what a sick stat line.

Jordan is a solid number 2 but he won all of his championships after the Lakers, Celtics and Pistons got old. I remember the old Pistons-Bulls series and I always remember how much Joe Dumars and the Pistons owned the dude in the 80s. Jordan is the probably the greatest scorer in NBA history but I can't put him above Magic.

I voted for Ali btw. .