Leben Vs. Starnes?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Leben Vs. Starnes?
Sagat_GSP12
2/20/07 12:05:43AM
Noticed this on the Karo blog. Anyone else think this is a weird match? I don't know anything about Starnes outside of TUF, but this seems like an easy win for Leben.
Sinical
2/20/07 12:13:47AM
should be a easy KO
Playground_Samurai
2/20/07 12:45:09AM
Starnes will definatly go into the fight as the underdog, and I too will pick Leban to win, but we definatly shouldn't underestimate Kalib. He only has one loss in his career, and that is against Okami who is definatly no slouch. Okami holds wins over the likes of Anderson Silva and Sakurai. Kalib himself holds a win over current MW contender Jason Macdonald who just beat Leban. Anything could happen. I don't think it's as lopsided a match as alot of people will try to make it out to be.
OB_Juan
2/20/07 12:52:12AM
I'll be pulling for Starnes. Leben had a shity attitude after his last fight. He gave J-Mac no credit at all. In fact, I hope Kalib makes him cry like a little girl again.
waylon_o
2/20/07 8:01:46AM

Posted by OB_Juan

I'll be pulling for Starnes. Leben had a shity attitude after his last fight. He gave J-Mac no credit at all. In fact, I hope Kalib makes him cry like a little girl again.

Leben ALWAYS has a shitty attitude...I can't stand that little crazy eye thing he does after his fights and interviews and he points like he's #1...what a douche bag...Starnes all the way.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/20/07 8:36:54AM
someone else already made this thread 2 3 days ago...

well i picked Starnes to win it...Starnes is a good fighter and you know alot from watching him on TUF,and that video clip where he beat Macdonald
JunCTion
2/20/07 10:17:31AM

Posted by waylon_o

Posted by OB_Juan

Leben ALWAYS has a shitty attitude...I can't stand that little crazy eye thing he does after his fights and interviews and he points like he's #1...what a douche bag...Starnes all the way.

i dont know much about starns but i think leben has lost some confidence in the octagon even though he always shows the fans his confident cocky side. i think hes always wanted to become the next "huntington beach bad boy" but does not have the fight game to back it up. have some respect & kick a** first or youll just look like an a**. silva said flet out that leben showed no respect & he wanted to punish him for that.
BabbyHughes
2/20/07 11:23:23AM

Posted by JunCTion

Posted by waylon_o

Posted by OB_Juan

i dont know much about starns but i think leben has lost some confidence in the octagon even though he always shows the fans his confident cocky side. i think hes always wanted to become the next "huntington beach bad boy" but does not have the fight game to back it up. have some respect & kick a** first or youll just look like an a**. silva said flet out that leben showed no respect & he wanted to punish him for that.

I'll be going for Starnes. I've never really liked Leben that much. I do give him the respect that he makes some of his fights exciting, and that he has a great chin. Besides that, I dont like anything about him.

Hopefully 2nd round submission by Starnes.
JoeMimic
2/20/07 11:26:35AM
Lindland said in an interview a few weeks ago that after the loss Leben has been more focused and really concentrated on training. Leben was beating McDonald until he made the mistake and got caught in the choke; I think he'll come ready for Starnes and get a 3rd round KO
JunCTion
2/20/07 11:45:18AM

Posted by BabbyHughes

Posted by JunCTion

Posted by waylon_o

Posted by OB_Juan

I'll be going for Starnes. I've never really liked Leben that much. I do give him the respect that he makes some of his fights exciting, and that he has a great chin. Besides that, I dont like anything about him.

Hopefully 2nd round submission by Starnes.

he is intense and goes full speed and leaves it all in the octagon, so some respect but outside he always ups himself & dows his opponent but usually in a disrespectful way. he needs to concentrate more on the fight and less on the interview. another loss and he should hit the road
Trapt1nw0nder
2/20/07 2:33:05PM

Posted by JoeMimic

Lindland said in an interview a few weeks ago that after the loss Leben has been more focused and really concentrated on training. Leben was beating McDonald until he made the mistake and got caught in the choke; I think he'll come ready for Starnes and get a 3rd round KO

Kalib is a much better striker than Leben...if you saw the fight with him and Kendall on TUF...he was also winning till Kendall hurt his rib....i was a big fan of Kendall on the show,but when i heard he was going up against Starnes i was like..."good knowing you kendall"...that fight was kickass and im more than sure Kalib would of been TUF champ in his division if he was on Team Ortiz

did you see the Starnes vs. Macdonald fight?

i hadnt seen it till someone posted it on an other forum(ffforgot,,,,i ffforgot the rest)

anyways here it is incase you have not seen it..

_Kalib Starnes vs. Jason Macdonald_
OB_Juan
2/20/07 3:19:51PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by JoeMimic

Kalib is a much better striker than Leben...if you saw the fight with him and Kendall on TUF...he was also winning till Kendall hurt his rib....i was a big fan of Kendall on the show,but when i heard he was going up against Starnes i was like..."good knowing you kendall"...that fight was kickass and im more than sure Kalib would of been TUF champ in his division if he was on Team Ortiz

i hadnt seen it till someone posted it on an other forum(ffforgot,,,,i ffforgot the rest)

No doubt. Anybody on Shamrock's team was at a HUGE disadvantage.
Sagat_GSP12
2/20/07 10:40:34PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by JoeMimic

Damn, thanks for posting that link. I didn't notice this topic had already been started so I didn't see that.
Greene33
2/21/07 11:23:01AM
Starnes is overrated, bet the farm on Leban in this one...
Trapt1nw0nder
2/21/07 11:33:47AM

Posted by Greene33

you kidding?

Leben is the overrated one
nate22
2/21/07 11:34:38AM
Leben has a hell of alot of great qualities of a fighter, some that I think alot of the best ever, haven't had. His ability is seemingly average against the top fighters in the UFC, but he is still pretty young and it's not as if he hasn't impressed in all of his outings against decent competition in the past who knows what would have happened if it wasn't for Florians elbows

He was pwning MacDonald and he made a mistake and Mac did well to end the fight from the position. At the end of the day regarding this fight, i'm all in on Leben for the moneymaker, there's is nothing about Starnes that convinces me he has a chance in this one.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/21/07 12:04:05PM

Posted by nate22

Leben has a hell of alot of great qualities of a fighter, some that I think alot of the best ever, haven't had. His ability is seemingly average against the top fighters in the UFC, but he is still pretty young and it's not as if he hasn't impressed in all of his outings against decent competition in the past who knows what would have happened if it wasn't for Florians elbows

He was pwning MacDonald and he made a mistake and Mac did well to end the fight from the position. At the end of the day regarding this fight, i'm all in on Leben for the moneymaker, there's is nothing about Starnes that convinces me he has a chance in this one.

Macdonald is also overrated

hes strong and good on the ground...thats it

the reason he has beat Leben and Herman is cuz they both suck at striking and he is just stronger......Franklin is gonna murder him hardcore!

JoeMimic
2/21/07 12:08:10PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by nate22

the reason he has beat Leben and Herman is cuz they both suck at striking and he is just stronger......Franklin is gonna murder him hardcore!

Wait what? Leben sucks at striking? I'll agree his technical standup isn't very good but he's got crazy power in his hands. Leben was beating McDonald in the standup very easily and defending the takedowns well; McDonald finally got one and he got caught in a choke it happens.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/21/07 12:28:35PM

Posted by JoeMimic

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by nate22

Wait what? Leben sucks at striking? I'll agree his technical standup isn't very good but he's got crazy power in his hands. Leben was beating McDonald in the standup very easily and defending the takedowns well; McDonald finally got one and he got caught in a choke it happens.

yes Leben sucks at striking....and Macdonald sucks at striking even more than Leben does too...i agree that Leben wins that fight 70% of the time thats why i feel Macdonald is overrated

Franca is also has heavy hands...do you consider him a good striker?

madmarck
2/21/07 12:36:08PM
Okay guys being a good striker can be taken many ways. You can be considered good for Power, Technique, Speed, Just managing to KO people, etc. Basically a combiantion of everything is the best.
Leben basically KOs some pople and has power.
I see Starnes having the Technique and Speed to his adnavtage. I think Kalib can Out box Chirs and then take him down for some GNP. When Leben tries to get up Kalib will get the RNC! Thats how i think it will go down at least.
madmarck
2/21/07 12:38:22PM

Posted by nate22

I dont no why people think Macdonald did so bad in tha tfight. Leben didnt do any damage to him at all. It was more or less just a stalemate of lacking punches and Clinching. The whole fight has i saw it was mroe ore less Jason trying for the takedown and Leben stopping it. I wouldnt call that Leben owning him.
I think that round could have gone 10-9 either way if Leben hadnt been CTFO.
nate22
2/21/07 12:43:26PM
Fair point. I don't want to argue for Leben too much as I don't think he's that great, I think he is a better fighter than Mac and Starnes and he got caught against Mac and Leben has alot more credible wins than Starnes does.
Jeffanori-Gomi
2/21/07 12:50:21PM
Im rooting for Starnes because hes a local in my area. (from a rival gym lol)

GO STARNES!
Greene33
2/21/07 1:02:44PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by Greene33

you kidding?

Leben is the overrated one

Ok i cant argue with you there, I actually mixed up Starnes and Ed Herman... Starnes looked ok against Okami even with getting TKO in the 3rd, but Okami is a really solid fighter and could beat anyone in the UFC at 185 (other than Anderson) So i dont know what to expect from Starnes, i can see this fight going either way....

Starnes by Submission in rd 1
jrod
2/21/07 1:07:24PM
i think this will be a good match up....and if he can use his reach Starnes will pull out a decision victory..
madmarck
2/21/07 1:25:57PM

Posted by nate22

Fair point. I don't want to argue for Leben too much as I don't think he's that great, I think he is a better fighter than Mac and Starnes and he got caught against Mac and Leben has alot more credible wins than Starnes does.

Kalib will use his reach to outstrike Leben.
Kalib is 6"3' Leben is only like 5"11.
Kalibs striking will piss Leben off. Then when he isnt expceting it Leben will get taken down and Choked out.

Okay guys Kalib is know for very good boxing, he uses his jabs awesomely.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/21/07 1:49:20PM

Posted by nate22

maybe if Kalib would have had some easy fights he would of had more credible wins too,and give him a chance to work his way up and get some confidence...no they feed him to a beast like Okami in his first fight in the UFC which i hear he did good...(have not seen it)

do you all know where i can see this fight?...have you all seen it?
madmarck
2/21/07 1:55:46PM
Your best bet is UFCondemand and pay 1.99 to see it. Since it wasnt broadcast chacnes are it will be hard to download anywhere else.