Leben’s path comes full circle

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Leben’s path comes full circle
MMAcca
10/6/08 5:05:07PM
Even three years later, Chris Leben can’t bring himself to sit down in front of a television sit and watch the inaugural season of The Ultimate Fighter.

He cringes at what little he does see, unhappy and unimpressed with the desperate character seemingly crying out for help.

Chris Leben was one of an odd assortment of fighters cobbled together by UFC president Dana White and owner Lorenzo Fertitta to compete on the first season of the reality series on Spike TV, which wound up fueling the UFC’s current success.

Leben’s wild, drunken behavior, unpredictable mood swings and overbearing attitude on the show makes it difficult for him to even speak about it now.

LINK
decken
10/6/08 5:08:22PM
EliteXC paid 500,000 dollars for 14 seconds it just keeps getting better.
xtra_chewy
10/6/08 6:32:52PM
Leben has came a long way since his time on the Ultimate Fighter, I hope he puts Bisping away early and ends this silly "Bisping is the new Spider" BS.
I'm almost starting to feel like no one else is behind Leben here on the playground but myself. Here's to the Crippler getting the KO .
bullettdodger
10/6/08 6:58:38PM

Posted by xtra_chewy

Leben has came a long way since his time on the Ultimate Fighter, I hope he puts Bisping away early and ends this silly "Bisping is the new Spider" BS.
I'm almost starting to feel like no one else is behind Leben here on the playground but myself. Here's to the Crippler getting the KO .

Well at least you have me on your side bro... i personally hope that Chris Leben smashes Bisping in the first few minutes, do i think that will happen no, i think Leben either gets a KO through a stand-up war of attrition in the third round or it goes to a decision... i hope the latter doesn't occur we've seen Bispings luck with the judges (not blaming him at all don't flame lol) Im behind the Crippler 100% major props to him for seemingly figuring out a lot of his problems and quitting drinking. I bet that was a hard thing for Leben to do. I know i couldn't, at least not at this point and time.
seanfu
10/6/08 7:00:41PM
Hahaha, Bisping has shitty wrestling, c or lower level BJJ, and passable kickboxing. He's not a poor fighter, saying that would be dumb, but please, he's a top 10 fighter in a washed up division.

I hope he beats the crap out of leben and gets his nose Franklined.

I like Leben and I'd hate seeing him lose but Bisping deserves a Spiderwhoopin.
dannyfrank
10/6/08 7:37:26PM

Posted by bullettdodger

Posted by xtra_chewy

Well at least you have me on your side bro... i personally hope that Chris Leben smashes Bisping in the first few minutes, do i think that will happen no, i think Leben either gets a KO through a stand-up war of attrition in the third round or it goes to a decision... i hope the latter doesn't occur we've seen Bispings luck with the judges (not blaming him at all don't flame lol) Im behind the Crippler 100% major props to him for seemingly figuring out a lot of his problems and quitting drinking. I bet that was a hard thing for Leben to do. I know i couldn't, at least not at this point and time.

third here man. i picked leben as soon as i heard of this fight. this article also really made me want leben to win

go crippler!!
MALICE
10/6/08 7:40:51PM

Posted by xtra_chewy

I have been a fan of Lebens since I 1st saw him on TUF. Yes, he did have a lot of emotional problems, but he is past that now. I would very very much like to see Leben KO Bisping. Nothing against Bisping. He is a good fighter too, I am just a bigger fan of Lebens. That and I do not understand all of this talk about Bisping beating Silva. Where did all of this come from? In the past few weeks it just all of a sudden blew up out of nowhere. I just don't see it. We will see IF the time comes, if he is ready for Silva. Until then....

WAR Cat Smasher!!!!!!!
Branwest
10/6/08 7:54:08PM
I'm with you bro...Bisping, for whatever reason, just makes me cringe. Also, on the show, he kept making fun of Hamill, and his deficiency. Maybe he was jealous, I don't know, but that should make you respect Hamill all the more for what he's accomplished. And when they fought, I'm sorry, but Hamill won. That was one of the worst decisions I have ever seen. Maybe it was because they were in England, I don't know, but that was a horrible decision.

Leben has matured both mentally and physically since the show. He has matured substantially, and physically, he has matured as well. He trains very hard and has devoted himself and his time to fighting, which before, he didn't train as much as he should've. He looks great physically. And his head is HUGE, and can take some serious punishment. I just hope it doesn't affect him later in life (punch drunk), but in mma, they don't take the repetitive abuse like in boxing. Also, he almost has to get knocked around a few times, before he wakes up and realizes he's in a fight, and then he usually knocks his opponent out. His knockout of Martin was incredible. He probably doesn't remember much. The punches he took, especially that one right hand punch, would've knocked almost anyone else out.

I hope Leben knocks out Bisping in the first round. And when I say knock out, I mean knock him out cold like he did Terry Martin.
robkilledthepromqueen
10/6/08 8:12:04PM
I ******* love Leben.
wapttn
10/6/08 8:17:05PM
I think that any real fan of mma who has followed the careers of Leben and Bisping from the start will root for leben. Even when he was in the house you had a certain degree of sympathy for him. The doode actually went to sleep outside to avoid confrontation and only went on a rampage when people were messing with him while he was sleeping outside. I never saw him as obnoxious or a loud mouth... just someone who was emotional, passionate, and didnt mind saying what was on his mind. Bisping was a dick from the get-go and i think the way acted on the show towards hamill or his other team mates showed some true colours. For anyone who missed the show, his comments after the fight between him and hamill... or his comments on his blong and in interviews after the fight gave you a clear picture of who bisping was. For that reason I'm not sure why you would root for bisping.

Who do i think will win the fight? Bisping knows he doesnt have the tools to finish leben so he's not going to try. Leben is most effective when someone will stand there and trade with him... bisping wants no part in that so i predict that he'll use a very defensive and conservative strategy to earn the decision. I suspect he has a lot of faith in the UK judges.

Leben will come away with a loss, frustrated, but with more fans

Bisping will come away very proud of his win, and with more people disliking him than before

Solidus
10/6/08 9:20:43PM

Posted by wapttn I never saw him as obnoxious or a loud mouth... just someone who was emotional, passionate, and didnt mind saying what was on his mind. Bisping was a dick from the get-go and i think the way acted on the show towards hamill or his other team mates showed some true colours.

Making someone sleep on your piss soaked pillow for...however many nights...ya, that's not dickish or anything. To me that runs a little deeper than Bisping's arrogance on and off the show.

At least Leben decided to finally grow up

MALICE
10/6/08 9:31:08PM

Posted by Solidus
Making someone sleep on your piss soaked pillow for...however many nights...ya, that's not dickish or anything. To me that runs a little deeper than Bisping's arrogance on and off the show.

At least Leben decided to finally grow up

Childish acts, I'll admit that. But he never denied what he had done. Unlike Southworth and Koscheck who were not man enough to admit what they had done. Instead they decided to deny it and lie about it.

So who was the better man even back then? I think it was Leben. And now that he has matured and dealt with emotional problems, I think he has all of the qualities that define an MMA Fighter.
jgtribbett
10/6/08 9:40:40PM
i would like to see leben come out strong.. i dont care who wins but good for him. he is beating the thing in life that was beating him
disorderlyvision
10/7/08 1:27:43AM

Posted by decken

EliteXC paid 500,000 dollars for 14 seconds it just keeps getting better.

and that has what to do with this post??
MMAcca
10/7/08 1:40:27AM
It's a shame nowadays that any posts on here mentioning anything to do with Michael Bisping are constantly attacked and ruined.......
bullettdodger
10/7/08 2:17:58AM

Posted by MMAcca

It's a shame nowadays that any posts on here mentioning anything to do with Michael Bisping are constantly attacked and ruined.......

But this is a thread about Leben, and i didn't see anyone mention Bisping and being attacked... unless you mean we attack Bisping in our posts cause yeah we kind of are... but most of us are doing it in as a respectful manner as possible when saying that you his opponent, in this case Leben, to win.
DvS
10/7/08 7:09:19AM
Leben's chance is long overdue, and anyone who doesn't think so is an idiot. He is a great fighter and extremely underrated. I don't know where all of the Bisping hype has come from all of a sudden. Bisping is a mediocre fighter that hasn't shown any improvements since his fight with Sinosic, he hasn't made any recent impressions... At least not with me. Don't get me wrong, Bisping has a great future ahead of him I'm sure, but all signs point to Leben as the right man to have this fight go to. You can't hold your grudges against Leben anymore for anything he has said or done in the past, he has bettered himself as a person and a fighter, and definetely deserves everyones respect.

And once again, I can't wait to see him knock the Englishman stiffer than a board.

Bisping:
Red-Dragon
10/7/08 8:15:18AM

Posted by DvS

Leben's chance is long overdue, and anyone who doesn't think so is an idiot. He is a great fighter and extremely underrated. I don't know where all of the Bisping hype has come from all of a sudden. Bisping is a mediocre fighter that hasn't shown any improvements since his fight with Sinosic, he hasn't made any recent impressions... At least not with me. Don't get me wrong, Bisping has a great future ahead of him I'm sure, but all signs point to Leben as the right man to have this fight go to. You can't hold your grudges against Leben anymore for anything he has said or done in the past, he has bettered himself as a person and a fighter, and definetely deserves everyones respect.

And once again, I can't wait to see him knock the Englishman stiffer than a board.

Bisping:

Don't hold your breath