Has Leben Matured?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Has Leben Matured?
MALICE
9/22/07 6:52:48PM
What does everyone think about Lebens fight the other night? He had good stand-up, good ground game, etc. He played it smart. Didnt do any wild punches, until, he got rocked. I thought, uh oh, hes in trouble. Then that switch flipped, and the old Chris came out throwing punches. Then, Boom, left hand, down he goes. And the look on his face was pure insanity. Then he flipped the switch back off. Do you think his new style will help him, or hurt him?
Ydoc
9/22/07 7:03:06PM
If he has its about time. All he needs now is better endurance and he can fight right with less power and more movement then turn on his wild side when his opponent gets gassed.
MALICE
9/22/07 7:06:41PM
Exactly right. He was definately getting gassed. A little more cardio work and we'll see how his next fight goes.
TheSavage
9/22/07 7:32:56PM
Yeah I agree. I think he has matured.
I really thought that he was gonna get owned by Martin,
but he surprised me when he ended up beating him.
I was with my friend when we were watching this and I said to him
it'd be funny if Terry got knocked out when he got all cocky in the 3rd round
and about 10 seconds later he was out.
good times
jmoooooo
9/22/07 9:09:39PM
i think its too early to say whether he has matured or not.

martin didnt exactly look good, both fighters conditioning seemed to be suspect, just looks like leben was pacing himself, but there could have been an underlying injury that was causing that too.

i dont think we saw the best terry martin, or the best chris leben.
bls1919
9/22/07 9:31:38PM
Cris Leben has himself my fav fighter. I thought he was a dick when he was on TUF. hated him. but know it looks like he has come a long way since then. His stand up is top 5 at 185. All he needs is more BJJ training and he could be unstopable
warglory
9/22/07 9:42:39PM
Man, what a difference one fight makes eh? Leben showed restraint, he was still throwing haymakers at Martin, while Martin threw haymakers at him. It looked like a schoolyard fight. Leben did show more maturity and focus in this fight, but his technique is still lacking.
mkiv9secsupra
9/22/07 10:10:44PM
Leben wasnt KO'ed simply because Martin had very little reach. He could throw a hundred haymakers but Leben could see those coming a mile away. With anyone with equal/more reach than Leben hes going to get picked apart (just like Anderson Silva did)....
MALICE
9/23/07 1:29:41AM
looking at this fight, it appears that Leben is trying to change his style. His style in this fight, and his style in the Silva fight are completely opposite.
Irish209
9/23/07 5:06:20AM
chris leben has matured alot as a fighter but he's always been a mature person.Some ppl dont get a person like leben but i been thru alot of the same things as him and mma even kept me from gangs and the street just like him.If leben learns to control that side of him we saw in his first fights then he wll be a powerful player in the future! and dats the facts fooo
MALICE
9/23/07 11:16:53AM
I agree. If you've seen TUF 1. He had some emotional problems, but I think he is over them now. And now he can focus more on fighting.
alvin
9/23/07 3:04:15PM
Leben is a good guy. I trained with him in seattle and he was a completely different person than what you saw on the show. He has a damn grip of steel. Running with sand bags will do that to you. I think he'll continue to mature a we all do and he'll continue to get better in MMA. Just remember, realty TV is BS ans they only show the crap that will sell. We've all had on of those moments, but ours are not on TV.
MALICE
9/23/07 3:14:57PM
I dont blame Leben one bit. I love the guy. He was never in the wrong on that show. It was spoiled Koscheck, and whiny Bobby Southworth who were the dick's on that show. I would never be on a reality show. They flip everything around, and use it to add more drama. Good luck Leben
Scott_Revels
9/23/07 3:29:40PM

Posted by xxMALICExx

What does everyone think about Lebens fight the other night? He had good stand-up, good ground game, etc. He played it smart. Didnt do any wild punches, until, he got rocked. I thought, uh oh, hes in trouble. Then that switch flipped, and the old Chris came out throwing punches. Then, Boom, left hand, down he goes. And the look on his face was pure insanity. Then he flipped the switch back off. Do you think his new style will help him, or hurt him?

The only thing I can agree on is that he has matured. On the other hand, his stand up was the same. He had barely any ground game. Neither fighter looked good. I must say though, that we at least know now how good Terry Martin is, and that's not very..
yerbluesjohn
9/23/07 9:17:10PM
To see how far Leben has come, you just have to look at his physique. He has always been a flabby 170, but he sure looked to be in great shape when he stepped in with Martin. Maybe after the bad streak he had, he has rededicated himself and will actually do all the things it takes to become a great fighter, rather than just relying on his heavy hand.
JBatch
9/24/07 2:01:55PM

Posted by Scott_Revels

[

The only thing I can agree on is that he has matured. On the other hand, his stand up was the same. He had barely any ground game. Neither fighter looked good. I must say though, that we at least know now how good Terry Martin is, and that's not very..

I have and always will be a Leben fan, I have taken crap for it since TUF 1 but will never abandon the guy. He seems to have embraced the leadership role ICON gym gave to him and it seems to have made him a more mature person.

In response to the post above Leben makes every fighter look bad he wears them out and no matter how tired he is himself still possesses KO power. Also Leben's ground game may not look as smooth as other fighters but it is nothing to laugh at he has decent subs and a great gaurd he neutralized a D1 wrestler in Martin that entire fight.
MALICE
9/24/07 2:07:58PM
You have to admit. They both looked tired. Terry seemed to stun Leben, a little bit. Leben looked too tired to do major damage, but BOOM, Knocked him right out. Amazing!
JBatch
9/24/07 2:10:26PM
NO doubt in my mind he was he was running on fumes at the end of that fight. The difference I am trying to highlight is not many fighters have that KO power when they are that gassed. It was truly an amazing fight though.

It rivals the surprise KO by Scott Smith on Pete Sell.
Ogre365
9/24/07 7:43:24PM

Posted by xxMALICExx

I dont blame Leben one bit. I love the guy. He was never in the wrong on that show. It was spoiled Koscheck, and whiny Bobby Southworth who were the dick's on that show. I would never be on a reality show. They flip everything around, and use it to add more drama. Good luck Leben

I'm not attacking or defending any of the TUF fighters, but Leben did deserve some of the shit that Koscheck and Southworth threw his way. I mean come on he pissed on a complete strangers bed in the very first episode.
MALICE
9/24/07 7:47:12PM
Oh yeah, I forgot. Maybe he deserved a little bit. But they both took it to the extreme. Bobby made it personal and Koscheck doesnt know when enough is enough.
DevonFoxy
9/24/07 7:47:16PM
Leben may have looked mature in this fight but i dont really think he has. I understand KOing Martin is a good step but Martin was dead tired and i understand Leben was too. I don't see Leben as a contender in the UFC ever at 185 but perhaps his showing got him a contract extension. We will see though.