Where does Leben go from here?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Where does Leben go from here?
DvS
10/18/08 10:25:41PM
So after his Decision loss to Bisping tonight, where do you think this puts him? I think he doesn't belong in the Middleweight division, as I can't see him putting enough wins together to get him in line for another shot at a contender or a title holder, mainly because he is one dimensional and I think the guys at MW are a bit big for him. I think he should drop back down to WW and remain there, that would open up alot more options to him, with his chin and striking power I think he could go far, at least get in line for a shot at a belt possibly. Fights with guys like Alves and Swick would be great for him. I just hope his career doesn't go downhill from here, a guy can only take so many losses. He was just starting to get back on track and having a loss like this thrown at you is never a good thing. I don't want to see him on the occasional UFN card. He doesn't deserve the "gatekeeper" image, he is better than that. Despite his loss I think he fought well and hard tonight and I think he will continue to do so in the future.

War Crippler
Aaronno9
10/18/08 10:36:16PM
Has he ever fought at WW before? I mean hes a pretty big guy, the cut could be hard for him.
Jackelope
10/18/08 10:37:54PM
I don't mean to talk down to your boy here, but in my opinion he just doesn't have that dynamic that would allow him to be a champion in either WW or MW. He's certainly improved through the years but I've seen nothing yet that tells me he could be a champ at any weight.

Either way, though- I'd love to watch any fight the guy is in. He doesn't have to have a belt to be a fighter worth watching to me.
Aaronno9
10/18/08 10:39:50PM

Posted by Jackelope

I don't mean to talk down to your boy here, but in my opinion he just doesn't have that dynamic that would allow him to be a champion in either WW or MW. He's certainly improved through the years but I've seen nothing yet that tells me he could be a champ at any weight.

Most strong wrestlers would beat him, and a decent striker with a good gameplan will beat him. He just doesnt have the skills. Alot of people have been saying lebens a differant fighters now and stuff, but i really think hes the same fighter in better shape. Still just stalks looking for that big left, only now he doesnt gas.
DvS
10/18/08 10:47:08PM

Posted by Aaronno9

Has he ever fought at WW before? I mean hes a pretty big guy, the cut could be hard for him.

He started his career at WW. He moved up to MW

And about him being a champion, right now? No way

Who knows what the future might bring for him though, I still got hope for him and I'm pulling for him until he is done as a fighter
Aaronno9
10/18/08 10:53:39PM
At the end of the day the ufc will always keep him around, becouse hes fun to watch. I really hope he takes another fight and wins soon, then possibly rematches cote once silva beats him.
Twenty20Dollars
10/19/08 12:44:36AM
I'll tell you where leben goes from here, back home to Hawaii.

Just because he lost to bisping isnt the end of the world for him, bisping just decisioned him I mean that wasnt crap. Also bisping had a 5 inch reach advantage.

But if leben cant get wins together in UFC, he has talked about going to ICON. Let me say though that this loss to bisping isnt anything to dwell on, just get back in the octagon and get a win.
jiujitsufreak74
10/19/08 1:19:16AM

Posted by Jackelope
Either way, though- I'd love to watch any fight the guy is in. He doesn't have to have a belt to be a fighter worth watching to me.

same goes for Paul Taylor imo. that guy could go 0-365 and i would still pay to see him fight
Mchubb316
10/19/08 1:28:31AM
I enjoy his fights more now than before. He seems to be in great shape, and takes fighting a little more serious from a professional standpoint. I also think he is limited as far as what he brings to a fight.
MMAcca
10/19/08 4:40:41AM

Posted by Aaronno9

Most strong wrestlers would beat him, and a decent striker with a good gameplan will beat him. He just doesnt have the skills. Alot of people have been saying lebens a differant fighters now and stuff, but i really think hes the same fighter in better shape. Still just stalks looking for that big left, only now he doesnt gas.

and same goes for Taylor
telnights
10/19/08 5:42:12AM
No he is still a gate keeper. I didn't see anything tonight that would make me say otherwise. He deserves to be where he is but he will never be an upper level MW. He is kind of like Cote he is good but cant hang with the big boys. The only reason Cote is getting a shot at Anderson is because they are running out of people for Anderson to beat.
dannyfrank
10/19/08 8:37:15AM
i dont care what leben's record is. i will always watch him and wait for him to lay down the doom hammer. in all honesty, i thought that he looked a lot better than normal starting the fight. but once he got his nose busted up it looked like he just said "f*ck it" and swung for the fences
cowcatcher
10/19/08 9:52:53AM
props are coming to the guys that said they would pay to watch him and taylor win or lose because those guys are exactly what we as fans should want to see in there, real warriors and very respectful. as far as leben dropping down goes, hes put on a lot of muscle and its going to be hard to drop it at this point, plus hes always on the cusp of contendership and gets beat 1 or 2 fights from a title shot against top competition. hes going to be fine, there are more fights for him out there and at any moment he can win against just about anyone. its geting harder and harder to not like the guy, hes a very fun fighter to watch.
Ordep
10/19/08 11:13:59AM
they will keep him as the MW gk probably matching him vs. losers of bigger matches or potential prospects. I don't think he'll be able to get an upper rank in the division considering his style which has improved but it still the same. Walk, trade, survive and swing. Bisping was ready for it and won easily. Making a good game plan to beat Leben to a decision is easy, just make sure you don't get caught and dont try to KO him. I think he needs to improve his striking, he has the power and chin, but need more technique and speed.
DvS
10/19/08 1:10:40PM

Posted by Ordep

they will keep him as the MW gk probably matching him vs. losers of bigger matches or potential prospects. I don't think he'll be able to get an upper rank in the division considering his style which has improved but it still the same. Walk, trade, survive and swing. Bisping was ready for it and won easily. Making a good game plan to beat Leben to a decision is easy, just make sure you don't get caught and dont try to KO him. I think he needs to improve his striking, he has the power and chin, but need more technique and speed.

I can't say I liked that "good game plan" to go to a decision that Bisping pulled last night. It made him out to look like a weak fighter, I don't care how smart you are Leben was the more entertaining one in that fight. I can't say I respect Bisping for last night even though he won, he won't get too far doing that against guys like Silva. As a matter of fact I can't wait to see the day he loses and is exposed again. I mean the guy lost to Hammill. Yes I know, not on paper, but we all know what happened in that fight. He really isn't that impressive of a fighter

But back on topic, I think he was doing well when it came to speed and technique last night until he got busted up. He was moving very well and was moving into takedown/clinch defenses very well
dannyfrank
10/19/08 1:16:43PM

Posted by DvS

Posted by Ordep

I can't say I liked that "good game plan" to go to a decision that Bisping pulled last night. It made him out to look like a weak fighter, I don't care how smart you are Leben was the more entertaining one in that fight. I can't say I respect Bisping for last night even though he won, he won't get too far doing that against guys like Silva. As a matter of fact I can't wait to see the day he loses and is exposed again. I mean the guy lost to Hammill. Yes I know, not on paper, but we all know what happened in that fight. He really isn't that impressive of a fighter

But back on topic, I think he was doing well when it came to speed and technique last night until he got busted up. He was moving very well and was moving into takedown/clinch defenses very well

he did that against leben because he knew that that is the only way to beat him. if bisping had stood and exchanged with him, he would have gotten KOed. therefore, i do respect bisping for realizing leben's strengths and using them against him. bisping fought a smart fight and i thought he did great
Lockfrow
10/19/08 10:11:36PM
Looks like he's going to make some easy money as a promoter.

HawaiiPromoter
bls1919
10/19/08 10:24:41PM
Leben is a very likable fighter. he was an ass on TUF and now has evolved to a complete MMA fighter. Has big hands and is tough as nails. I really like him but don't think he will be much more than a gatekeeper. I hate to say it . He is game as hell and will fight anyone anywhere. Just can't see him holding a UFC belt. I hate seeing Bisping UD him. Broke my heart. Didn't think Bisping won. Bisping won't be much more than a gate keper himself. no stand up and even worse ground game.
Aaronno9
10/19/08 10:32:14PM

Posted by bls1919

Leben is a very likable fighter. he was an ass on TUF and now has evolved to a complete MMA fighter. Has big hands and is tough as nails. I really like him but don't think he will be much more than a gatekeeper. I hate to say it . He is game as hell and will fight anyone anywhere. Just can't see him holding a UFC belt. I hate seeing Bisping UD him. Broke my heart. Didn't think Bisping won. Bisping won't be much more than a gate keper himself. no stand up and even worse ground game.

Nothing wrong with Bispings ground game. If it is as bad as you say, then i dont no what that says about Lebens ground game, becouse when he took Bisping down he wasnt able to do anything at all, and mike got straight back up.

I mean, its pretty obvious UK fighters arent going to have a good wrestling base, considering until the past year or 2 they havent had anywhere to train wrestling.
WandyCroCop
10/19/08 10:46:17PM
I think Leben could fight Maia, whether Demian wins or losses his fight with Quarry, i think Chris Leben vs. Demian Maia could be pretty good. Stand-up brawler vs. Perfect Jui-Jitsu with OK muya thia.

Demian Maia via Sub in the 2nd.