learning bjj from net?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » learning bjj from net?
skatenate
7/31/08 9:30:43PM
i was just wondering who here thinks that you can become efficient enough in bjj from just the instructionals on the net (subvmissions 101 etc.)

i trained in bjj for a short while, and now that i do MT i have no time to do both, so i was planning on upping my skills from home, by watchin vids and rolling with friends.
juanez13
7/31/08 9:38:03PM
If you already know the basics and have a solid base, I think the Net will suffice if training in a gym is not possible. However if you dont know the basics/dont have solid footing, I wouldnt recommend learning you're stuff from the net.
postman
7/31/08 9:50:18PM
buy a bag and do the MT at home. train BJJ and when you get time go do some live sparring in MT.
HMA123
7/31/08 9:56:13PM
If you could tell us more one your experience (what you know already) with BJJ i think we all could help you more.
But i wouldn't consider learning off the net, if you just want to have some kind of MMA backround, nothing really serious then go ahead. But if you want to get good and your serious with MMA then learning off the net isn't the best idea
What you learn off the net is basically just moves. What you would learn in a school that you wont learn of the net
: proper footwork
: how to shift your weight (all about weight)
: proper timing and speed
: proper grappling drills
: and rolling with people better then you, obvisiously makes you better

Svartorm
7/31/08 10:25:55PM
Thread on subject

The pitfalls of training with video are covered in that thread. In short, unless you have a solid set of fundementals, don't do it.
Wolfenstein
7/31/08 10:56:13PM
Well it can't hurt. Sure you'll learn some new techniques, you might not be applying them perfectly but you'll figure it out as you're rolling with your friends if you have a good aptitude for wrestling and jiu-jitsu.
Svartorm
8/1/08 12:04:43AM
It absolutely can hurt, which is why I said not to start with it. If you don't have a background in grappling and attempt to learn it via video, you'll iron in all kinds of bad habits that are difficult to take care of later. This is much more true with stand-up fighting than ground, but still true just the same.
Jackelope
8/1/08 11:40:17PM

Posted by Svartorm

It absolutely can hurt, which is why I said not to start with it. If you don't have a background in grappling and attempt to learn it via video, you'll iron in all kinds of bad habits that are difficult to take care of later. This is much more true with stand-up fighting than ground, but still true just the same.

Agreed X 1,000

Once again the ever important intangible of training partners comes into play. This is yet another reason why going to a school is way better. I don't care if you've studied a move a million times- if you don't have experience training it with competent and realistic opponents you're not going to be effective with it. I've seen it time and again.

Your best bet to me sounds like hooking up with a school that has MT and BJJ. If that's not an option- hey, keep watching the videos online but be aware of these things we've discussed

The-Don
8/2/08 1:30:45PM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by Svartorm

Agreed X 1,000

Once again the ever important intangible of training partners comes into play. This is yet another reason why going to a school is way better. I don't care if you've studied a move a million times- if you don't have experience training it with competent and realistic opponents you're not going to be effective with it. I've seen it time and again.

Your best bet to me sounds like hooking up with a school that has MT and BJJ. If that's not an option- hey, keep watching the videos online but be aware of these things we've discussed

to just add to that.. If your rolling with partners who have enven less experience then you.. your going to seem great even if your making mistakes that an expereienced grappler would get out of.. your friends might not know how to exploit your mistakes so when you think ytour doing something correctly or not...

I have some pretty good experience with grappling and can hold my own against most... but as I look up new moves and techniques online or in books... I'll look for at least 3-4 examples of the same move from diffeent online videos and then I will get a freind or two and practice.. luckily I have some friends with grappling and wrestling expereince so I can get some useful feed back so I know if what I am doing works... then I also show the move to my freinds so they can apply it to me as well... this way I can expereince it from thre other end and see if I can find a flaw.. cause more then likely if I am doing something wrong and show it to my friends they will be making the same mistakes I am so I will spot them , HOPEFULLY, and then can take steps to correct them.. like rewatching the vids.. looking for even more vids...
guitr_freek
8/6/08 5:00:54PM
I wouldn't do it because you don't know if you're doing it 100% correctly or not. The smallest mistake can make or break a move. Also, without anyone competent to test it on (unless your friends practice BJJ), there's really no point to do it. Practice BJJ at a place that teaches it, not only do you learn BJJ, but you'll also make some new friends. The choice is yours.
telnights
8/6/08 5:42:52PM
There are so many reason why you shouldnt just learn from videos I cant even list them all. A good trainer will be able to see what your doing wrong and try to fix it and video can never do this. Just like Svartorm said I video cant stop you from building bad habits but a trainer can.
gsquat
8/6/08 8:22:47PM

Posted by Svartorm

The videos are good for an already knowledgeable person to learn some new moves or submissions. But if this is your starting point, you'll be a mess by the time you're using it in any sort of competition. If you have someone with you to grapple with as you learn these things (preferrable someone who does have a grappling background) that will help a lot. Make sure its a reliable source too and not some redneck in his basement with a blowup doll as his dummy.
The_Ho_Bag
8/6/08 9:48:58PM
my friends learned BBj of the internet, and won naga in their divisions lmao and im not kiddin either
jiujitsufreak74
8/6/08 9:56:37PM

Posted by The_Ho_Bag

my friends learned BBj of the internet, and won naga in their divisions lmao and im not kiddin either

yeah but he was a wrestler for a long time before that. he had already been taught grappling skills from a coach, which is why he has been able to find success.
Jackelope
8/6/08 10:56:59PM
There's certainly going to be exceptions to the rule, but to assume you're one of those exceptions can be a big mistake.

I think Evan Tanner or someone else who fought in the UFC learned a lot of what they know from books and videos, but that's one out of a million right there.
Svartorm
8/7/08 12:46:47AM
It was Tanner, and the reason they mention it every time he fights it because its exceptionally rare for that to happen. Some people are just ridiculously athletic and can pull things like that out of their hat, but thats a small portion of the population and chances are, thats not you.
Rush
8/7/08 7:39:03AM

Posted by Svartorm

It was Tanner, and the reason they mention it every time he fights it because its exceptionally rare for that to happen. Some people are just ridiculously athletic and can pull things like that out of their hat, but thats a small portion of the population and chances are, thats not you.

Yeah,

When you get only a small portion of people that train and that are able to learn their skills at a high level from a real school, the ones that benefit from video are only going to be a small fraction of the small fraction.
MattHughes
8/9/08 12:06:17AM
No, you can't learn just from the internet you need proper training under an instructor.