Something I learned watching MMA

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Something I learned watching MMA
ghandikush
11/3/12 2:16:05PM
Theres a lot of talent out there.

We had 3 major WW champs in GSP Diaz and Condit and if you asked me before the UFC absorbed both promotions if either would have success I would have laughed, but not only did these two become ranked first and second contender but Benson in LW champ... Cerrone isnt looking too bad either.

All this time I had seriously thought the UFC guys were on another level, but thanks to the UFC absorbing every promotion in sight I can see what an even level a lot of the guys really do fight on.

Another surprise

A lot of the Pride guys lost their luster in the UFC because of the scoring and shorter rounds making LnP viable to be used against them. They had to tighten up instead of letting it all go.

Budgellism
11/3/12 2:23:52PM
Every great fighter has to start somewhere.
Bubbles
11/3/12 2:54:34PM

Posted by ghandikush

Theres a lot of talent out there.

We had 3 major WW champs in GSP Diaz and Condit and if you asked me before the UFC absorbed both promotions if either would have success I would have laughed, but not only did these two become ranked first and second contender but Benson in LW champ... Cerrone isnt looking too bad either.

All this time I had seriously thought the UFC guys were on another level, but thanks to the UFC absorbing every promotion in sight I can see what an even level a lot of the guys really do fight on.

Another surprise

A lot of the Pride guys lost their luster in the UFC because of the scoring and shorter rounds making LnP viable to be used against them. They had to tighten up instead of letting it all go.

Jake Shields and Overeem have to be mentioned as well. Lombard hopefully doesn't have stage freight in his next fight and he probably can be added to the list. It's just a matter of time before Alvarez, Melendez, and Rockhold join too. The upper echelon of other big promotions are UFC caliber, it's just a matter of when will they do it
kingsmasher
11/3/12 4:38:33PM
IMO just because someone is suppose to be the best in a sport or whatever doesn't necessarily mean they are...

I believe that someone actually out there might be better but just not had the opportunity to prove themselves...

In all cases there is room for human error and flat out opinion..

IN human talent for sports scouts recognize talent and think player A is the best but player B might be better its just an opinion in the end...they do collect data and such but theres no way to know..

I had this conversation with a friend....Back when Dan Henderson and Chael were on the Olympic teams only means they had the opportunity, connections and were found...

Thats my argument about Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier or anyone for that matter..

For instance back in high school I wasnt on a wrestling team but knew guys that were...I would out wrestle them but I was hard headed and thought wrestling iin tights was gay...

Also in school a guy was tough and the coaches wanted him to play football....he would play with us in neighborhood fun games and was good at everything but he smoked pot...So no way would he be on the team when coaches found out and he wasnt quitting...
Bubbles
11/3/12 5:07:44PM

Posted by kingsmasher
Also in school a guy was tough and the coaches wanted him to play football....he would play with us in neighborhood fun games and was good at everything but he smoked pot...So no way would he be on the team when coaches found out and he wasnt quitting...

half my highschool team smoked pot and we went to the finals. It means shit all if you aren't caught on school and get suspended
frizzzlecake
11/3/12 5:30:06PM
Well I guess I was the guy who always got laughed at. I knew Benson/Anthony/Donald/Jamie(when UFC first bought WEC, I then lost faith when he became uninspired.). I also thought Anthony Njokwauni(sp) was going to be good, but he just hasn't put it all together like i was hoping he was.

WAR WEC!

I try my hardest to avoid UFC's kool-aid, and watch as much MMA as I can. If you watch enough of it(outside of UFC) you can kind of get a feeling if I guy has the ability or potential to be in the UFC.imo