Lawler vs. Smith II could headline next CBS event

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Lawler vs. Smith II could headline next CBS event
grappler0000
6/1/08 8:06:14AM
After a less-than-suitable ending to an exciting, back-and-forth match-up between EliteXC middleweight champion Robbie Lawler and Scott Smith left many searching for a definitive conclusion, EliteXC Live Events President Gary Shaw said the company hopes to host the rematch as a main event on their next CBS broadcast.

Shaw even went so far as to ponder aloud a possible title for the show: "Unfinished Business."

"We've got to check Robbie, how he is physically, and how Scott (who suffered a broken right foot during the bout) is physically," Shaw said. "If they're both ready to do it again, I would assume they would fight on our next CBS show."

Saturday's title fight, which served as a co-main event to Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson's third-round TKO of James Thompson, ended in anticlimactic no-contest after Lawler (15-4) caught Smith (13-4) with an inadvertent eye poke in the third round. Smith maintained he was OK to continue, but officials refused to let the bout continue.

Link
MMAcca
6/1/08 8:16:13AM
First time round was going great, so definately can't wait for these guys to finish their battle!

WAR RUTHLESS!!
grappler0000
6/1/08 8:22:48AM
Unfinished Business as the event title? I wonder if Shaw realized that Couture/Belfort II had that same title.

Also, apparently Smith had a broken foot...someone out there should be taking notes

mrsmiley
6/1/08 8:25:38AM
That was the best fight that I never got to see an end to.I should be the headliner for the next event,and should have been last nights headliner as well.
MMAcca
6/1/08 8:32:46AM

Posted by grappler0000

Unfinished Business as the event title? I wonder if Shaw realized that Couture/Belfort II had that same title.

Also, apparently Smith had a broken foot...someone out there should be taking notes

Before the fight ? Or did he break it during ?
grappler0000
6/1/08 8:43:47AM

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by grappler0000

Before the fight ? Or did he break it during ?

During
whardin19
6/1/08 10:08:44AM
That has got to be one of the better fights I have ever seen. I think it was disrespectful that the crowd was booing that fight. It was bullshit. As for headlining the next event. Thats a great idea.
EliasG
6/1/08 11:00:04AM
I couldn't agree more. The fight was outstanding and I couldn't believe the crowd was booing. Seriously, did they just let random drunk people come into the arena for free? I have to be honest, 90% of the people that go to these MMA matches know about as much about MMA as they do about cricket. All they want to see is people throw wild crazy punches non stop for 15 minutes.

Btw, Lawler was seconds from KO'ing Smith. Got to love that fight.
candynuts
6/1/08 11:25:46AM
Man that was a war! Just when I thought Smith was going to get KO'd, he recovered and started going back at Lawler.
Oh, and **** those "MMA fans" for booing in that fight.
nubby
6/1/08 11:32:37AM
That was a good fight but I remember thinking, Lawler is considered by many to be top 5 in the world at his weight, can that really be true with how much trouble Smith gave him?
Twenty20Dollars
6/1/08 12:07:34PM
I want to see this fight again! But.....not on the next CBS show, because there were just too many issues with the CBS event that I dont want to see this fight reuined again.
Raykill
6/1/08 12:14:25PM

Posted by nubby

That was a good fight but I remember thinking, Lawler is considered by many to be top 5 in the world at his weight, can that really be true with how much trouble Smith gave him?

I think it is true, But Scott is really underrated. Scott Smith is a good fighter with alot of heart. You saw what he did in that sport reel highlight with Pete sell. Just when you thought he was done, Bam your ktfo

I dont know if you can tell, I like Scott Smith, I mean as a fighter. Yea thats it.
Mchubb316
6/1/08 12:43:27PM
I think it is a must to have them finish this one. Great fight, and wish they could have finished it. Both guys showed heart and toughness, and deserve to have someone get a W.
Vietnamese_Guy
6/1/08 12:45:10PM
wait, who says LAWLer is top 5?
rabbit915
6/1/08 1:30:18PM
I would put Lawler in the top 5. He had a rough streak right before he left the UFC but i think hes proven himself since with wins over Trigg,Villasenor, and Ninja Rua.
jae_1833
6/1/08 3:50:52PM
Can't wait for the re-match.....definitely stopped early, why didn't Robbie go back to the body kick that was so successful for him in the first? Robbie has got this one in the bag I think and will KO him when they re-match....he had Smith heading for the canvas in the third, even Smith was hinting at that during the post fight interview in the cage. I think this has been a learning experience for all off MMA...for both UFC and EliteXC, CBS and other orgs interested in putting MMA on TV, and for fans (both dedicated and new). You've got to be careful with these kind of things or it can end up getting out of hand and I think that's what happened last night The orgs involved were so into keeping the fighter's safe (a good thing in theory) that they kind of messed up the fights. Better luck next time to all (especially the fans!!!).
Lockfrow
6/1/08 4:07:02PM
I think that fight was the only redeeming part of the show.