Lawler vs Silva

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Lawler vs Silva
POLL: should Dana make this fight?
Yes, get Lawler at almost any cost. 24% (8)
Sure but it's not that big of a opportunity. 3% (1)
Dont care 9% (3)
No Lawler sux 9% (3)
Get Lawler but no title shot before he proves himself 56% (19)
slapshot
10/21/08 5:08:29PM
I would love to see this fight for however long it would last. How stoked would you be to see this slug fest and who do you think would win?

Ive got Silva but with Robbie there's always a 30% chance he will win he punches so hard.
nickcuc547
10/21/08 5:11:18PM
I don't think lawler gets silva right away but I do think they should try to sign him up big time, he would be a much needed spark to the division.
slapshot
10/21/08 5:13:15PM
I agree Lawler would bring a new twist and some MUST see fights with a lot of excitement.
loonytnt
10/21/08 5:17:21PM
silva would win this ez imo, idk if i wanna see that
cowcatcher
10/21/08 5:19:10PM
is like to see him in the ufc, but im thinking that being the big dog surrounded by pound puppies in elitexc doesnt exactly qualify him as a clear cut contender to beat silva. i think marquardt has looked incredibly sharp lately and could beat robbie, maia has a great chance as well, and even a guy they had there in elitexc, benji, could beat robbie. lawlor is exciting to watch, one of the guys i always cheer for, but im not sure hes as elite as the belt he holds says he is. then again no one is near anderson IMO, so i guess hes just as good of an opponent as anyone else, especially with only 6 fights left for the spider, let him clean out the division.
bls1919
10/21/08 5:37:00PM
With all the talk about sheilds i forgot about Robbie Lawler. Holy crap it would be great to have him back. Lawler looks to be riding a good streak and looks tough.
slapshot
10/21/08 5:47:55PM

Posted by cowcatcher

is like to see him in the ufc, but im thinking that being the big dog surrounded by pound puppies in elitexc doesnt exactly qualify him as a clear cut contender to beat silva. i think marquardt has looked incredibly sharp lately and could beat robbie, maia has a great chance as well, and even a guy they had there in elitexc, benji, could beat robbie. lawlor is exciting to watch, one of the guys i always cheer for, but im not sure hes as elite as the belt he holds says he is. then again no one is near anderson IMO, so i guess hes just as good of an opponent as anyone else, especially with only 6 fights left for the spider, let him clean out the division.

Well the weakest part of Lawlers game was always submissions and ground game but I think training with Matt Hughes cant hurt and he probably, hopfully shored up that hole.

I for one believe Silva is on a different level like you said. So if out of all these fighters the only true opportunity to beat him is "a punchers chance" than who better to throw at him than Robbie Lawler LOL?
wiggum
10/21/08 5:57:26PM
robbies style is a technical brawl, but he leaves himself wide open coming in and for counter punchin....i think it would be a fun fight but silva would be him apart quickly...not saying he isnt top ten, but i honestly think its a bad style matchup for robbie...definitly need him back in the ufc tho!!!!
gravy13
10/21/08 6:15:55PM
I honestly think this fight would end up like the Leben/Silva fight. Lawler trying to brawl with Silva and Lawler ultimately ending up facedown on the canvas. Although, I wouldn't mind seeing the fight.
seanfu
10/21/08 7:46:28PM
Lawler vs Rich or Hendo would be a sweet fight. Anderson would win but we know Robbie is ten times the fighter he was in the UFC WW division. He's a much better fighter. He's technical and would give Silva a testy first round based on the reach establishment he like to get.

Leben Lawler would be phenominal if Lawler would get hit a couple times.
imanidiot777
10/21/08 7:49:10PM
Lawler vs. Cote would have been amazing if Cote wasn't fighting already, if he loses maybe they can fight. Now THAT would be a slug fest. Or Lawler vs. Leben, although Leben doesn't deserve that at the moment.
prozacnation1978
10/21/08 8:50:21PM
lawler could knock out silva

if any one can this might be the guy you add a paulo fihlo to the mix and silva will be busy fighting next year
postman
10/21/08 10:03:24PM
I think if Lawler comes to the UFC you he would do much better a 170.
copcopps
10/21/08 10:16:20PM
I would like to see a Diaz rematch
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
10/22/08 12:22:20AM
Leben and cote are better then lawler . Both hit harder and have better chins . We saw what happend to leben. Cote will be over just as quick come saturday. I cant fathom how people put lawler in the top 10 . Who has he beaten to deserve to be in the top ten???? . Did you not see diaz knock him out?

I would still like to see him fight cote and leben , but he would be nothing more then a gatekeeper.
fonduktoe
10/22/08 1:01:50AM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

Leben and cote are better then lawler . Both hit harder and have better chins . We saw what happend to leben. Cote will be over just as quick come saturday. I cant fathom how people put lawler in the top 10 . Who has he beaten to deserve to be in the top ten???? . Did you not see diaz knock him out?

I would still like to see him fight cote and leben , but he would be nothing more then a gatekeeper.

i agree that a lawler v silva fight would probably end with silva's hand raised, but i do believe he's come a long way as a fighter since the diaz knockout. he's one of those fighters who has learned from his mistakes as opposed to being defined by them and i would more than welcome him into the mw division of the ufc. imo he is a top ten mw and the best way to prove it would be to start touching gloves again in the octagon
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
10/22/08 1:39:51AM

Posted by fonduktoe

i agree that a lawler v silva fight would probably end with silva's hand raised, but i do believe he's come a long way as a fighter since the diaz knockout. he's one of those fighters who has learned from his mistakes as opposed to being defined by them and i would more than welcome him into the mw division of the ufc. imo he is a top ten mw and the best way to prove it would be to start touching gloves again in the octagon

Once again, who has he beaten to deserve a spot in the top ten ?
fonduktoe
10/22/08 1:57:02AM

Posted by fonduktoe

Once again, who has he beaten to deserve a spot in the top ten ?

i was implying that he deserves to be in the top ten but needs to prove it by fighting the best. he does have wins over ninja rua, frank trigg, smokin' joe, scott smith, etc. none of which, i agree, should solidify a top ten position, but since the best 185's are in the ufc he hasn't been able to fight them.
i think he's gotten better since his stint in the ufc (which ended back in '04 and he was 4-3) which is why i would love to see him back in the mix (imo stands for "in my opinion" by the way)
RhythmAndStyle
10/22/08 11:20:39AM
Lawler would be able to take on Silva..i mean his last two fight were some of the sloppiest fights i seen..he's not as fast with his strikes like he once was...