LAWLER defends his belt against HOSE

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » LAWLER defends his belt against HOSE
fatdevil1982
6/13/07 1:19:16PM
On June 30th in the Icon Sport: FEARLESS event, Icon Sport Middleweight Champ “Ruthless” Robbie Lawler will face a confident Hawaiian fighter who mirrors his style: heavy-handed striking. Lawler’s opponent is one of the fastest rising stars in the Icon organization, Kala Kolohe Hose. Hose will represent team Bad Intentions of Waianae, which is on the west side of the island of Oahu. Many will consider Hose an underdog in this match-up. But Hose is confident that he will walk out on June 30th with the Icon World Titl. Hose stated:

“If (Lawler) thinks I’m a stepping stone…he better think twice. I’m here to come after (Lawler) and HE will be my stepping stone. It’s my time to shine. My time is now.”

Hose came to Icon in 2005 as an oversized light heavyweight. Never to refuse a challenge, he took on collegiate Hall of Fame wrestler Reese Andy in his very first MMA bout. Hose lost via decision to Andy, who has since tallied up a 6-1 record. But Hose has gone undefeated since that first loss. And each of his victories ended with him delivering a thunderous knockout. Icon Sport President T.Jay Thompson said of Hose:

“Robbie (Lawler) has a lot to worry about when he faces Kala Kolohe Hose in FEARLESS. Hose has that rare gift of one-punch knockout power, so Lawler better not take him lightly. Hose is hungry. He’s been dreaming of fighting Lawler. No matter what happens, this match-up has all the markings to be one of the most memorable in Icon Sport history.”

Hose has done the remarkable over his fight career, cutting from 250lbs down to 185lbs through strict dieting, cardio fitness, and MMA training. As he lost the excess weight Hose added speed and agility to his already-powerful frame. In many ways Hose’s path closely reflects that of Joe “Diesel” Riggs, a former super-heavyweight who cut down to lighter weight classes without sacrificing his “heavyweight power.” Riggs now competes in the U.F.C.

As a star fullback for the Waianae High School Searider Football team, Hose was accustomed to overpowering any competition. And even though Lawler is now ranked as high as 7th amongst all world middleweights, Hose views him as just another opponent who he will overpower.

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Stickan
6/13/07 1:38:39PM
Thanks for the news. I had hoped for a more well-known opponent for Robbie but an exciting one might do ..
fatdevil1982
6/19/07 7:00:17AM
Tuesday, June 19, 2007
by Sherdog.com Staff

A separated shoulder incurred by Robbie Lawler (Pictures) has pushed back ICON Sport's June 30 fight card to Sept. 15, the Hawaii-based promotion announced in a press release Monday.

Lawler (14-4-0), who is riding a three-fight winning streak, was injured while training for the early summer bout against Kala Kolohe Hose (Pictures) (3-1-0).

The 25-year-old Davenport, Iowa native is expected to resume training in four to six weeks.