Did lauzon get screwed in the first round of the fight with ken flo?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Did lauzon get screwed in the first round of the fight with ken flo?
POLL: ?
Yes 45% (14)
No 55% (17)
Aaronno9
4/5/08 9:56:56PM
So i was reading another thread earlier, and it reminded me of somthing that happened on fight night which kinda annoyed me. Ill just quote myself from the other thread rather than type it out again.

Posted by Aaronno9

Reading that made me remember somthing which kinda bugged me on the night. When florian was throwing those elbows, the ref didnt take a point, but he still stood the fight up. So basically joe took some illegal shots, got a nice gash opened up on his head, then lost his dominant position for his troubles. So does that mean from now on if you get taken down all youv got to do is drop some elbows to the back of your opponents head and itl get stood back up?

Weird desicion by the ref.

Im not saying joe would of won the fight from that position or anything (not saying he couldnt of done some damage either though) but it seemed like a pretty unusual call from the ref. Am i just missing some sort of rule here or somthing? or did lauzon get robbed of his dominant position becouse kenny broke a rule?
juanez13
4/5/08 10:07:09PM
I think the only way he got screwed was the fight being stood up, still i dont think it would have made a big difference, i think the biggest factor for lauzon was his gas tank, after the first he didnt seem to have much left in it.
Aaronno9
4/5/08 10:09:35PM

Posted by juanez13

I think the only way he got screwed was the fight being stood up, still i dont think it would have made a big difference, i think the biggest factor for lauzon was his gas tank, after the first he didnt seem to have much left in it.

Yeh my main point was about the fight being stood back up. I dont get it. The ref warned kenny about doing it but didnt take a point, then made joe stand up and loose his position. Im not saying it would of changed the outcome of the fight or anything, i just felt it was really bad refereeing.
owen1
4/5/08 10:34:11PM

Posted by Aaronno9

Yeh my main point was about the fight being stood back up. I dont get it. The ref warned kenny about doing it but didnt take a point, then made joe stand up and loose his position. Im not saying it would of changed the outcome of the fight or anything, i just felt it was really bad refereeing.

Ya that was i bad call by the ref.I never even realised until you just said it but it wasnt Joes fault he got elbowed in the back of the head so the ref should have put them back were they were before he stood them up .
Twenty20Dollars
4/5/08 10:50:42PM
It was a night of bad refereeing, the only reason the fight should have been stood up is if the ref would have taken a point away from kenny, a warning they dont stand them up. Should have taken a point away from kenny. But the ref should have restarted them on the ground.

And also about the gas tank thing, when you get hit in the of the back that takes alot out of you and he took like 3 shots and got cut open. I mean look at the joe vs cole miller fight and the frank vs baroni fight. all who got hit in the back of the head lost.

I really think joe should have taken that fight. I wish he would have.

Big john needs come back and ref. Im not liking herb dean or steve mazz anymore. the other news ref's are doing better than them.
NatedawgThaM
4/6/08 12:55:48AM
I'll say no. He had time to recover and the only way I saw him winning was on the feet. Even if it did get put back in the same place, Kenny would have kept throwing those vicious elbows and it would have ended in a TKO cut stoppage.
Kpro
4/6/08 1:15:21AM
There is no doubt he was screwed in that particular portion of the fight.

He gets hit with illegal elbows and the ref takes away his dominant position without deducting a point from his opponent.
Twenty20Dollars
4/6/08 1:16:39AM
Well if the ref stopped the fight because of the elbows and restarted them on the ground and kenny knew it was because of the elbows he wouldnt have thrown them anymore. when joe took him down again he didnt throw those elbows.
warglory
4/6/08 2:00:21AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

It was a night of bad refereeing, the only reason the fight should have been stood up is if the ref would have taken a point away from kenny, a warning they dont stand them up. Should have taken a point away from kenny. But the ref should have restarted them on the ground.

And also about the gas tank thing, when you get hit in the of the back that takes alot out of you and he took like 3 shots and got cut open. I mean look at the joe vs cole miller fight and the frank vs baroni fight. all who got hit in the back of the head lost.

Big john needs come back and ref. Im not liking herb dean or steve mazz anymore. the other news ref's are doing better than them.

What are you talking about? What other bad calls were there? Karo was clearly KTFO, and Houston was seeing stars and not properly defending himself. I think the other matches were clearly defined.
warglory
4/6/08 2:02:21AM
If this match had ended in the first round, you guys may have an argument, but the truth is the rest of that round, and the remaining time before the finish was quite back and forth with Kenny clearly playing a dominant role.
CantAndleDaRiddum
4/6/08 2:22:14AM
mighta got screwed if it went to decision....but it didnt so i say no
juanez13
4/6/08 8:57:15AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

IMO thats why i love the Japanese Refs. They leave absolutely no doubt that the fight was over, thats why you dont see anyone complaining about the stoppage, If wandy vs Page would have been in the UFC, thats fight would have been over long before the pride ref stopped it, Page probably would have complained and so on.

and about the person saying all the other fights were stopped perfectly, IMO if Karo got stopped there than Nog should have been stopped when he ate that kick from herring. Just look at when Karo fought serra, he almost got KO'd, IMO that was worse than the knee he took, not saying he would have come back, because i dont think he would have, but it wasnt a good stoppage either.
mrliquid
4/6/08 10:21:08AM
Theres no question those were shots to the back of the head and i'm sure it took Lauzon off his game a little and I didn't agree with the refs call to stand it back up, but cant really do much about the ref making a bad call shitty for Joe hope he comes back with a win in his next fight.
warglory
4/6/08 12:35:42PM

Posted by juanez13

and about the person saying all the other fights were stopped perfectly, IMO if Karo got stopped there than Nog should have been stopped when he ate that kick from herring. Just look at when Karo fought serra, he almost got KO'd, IMO that was worse than the knee he took, not saying he would have come back, because i dont think he would have, but it wasnt a good stoppage either.

The only reason why the Nog fight didn't get stopped was because Herring backed off for some odd reason, and allowed Nog to recoop. Had Herring jumped on the downed Nog, it would have been done then and there. Herring was the one making the decision then, not the ref.
Kpro
4/6/08 12:41:32PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by juanez13

The only reason why the Nog fight didn't get stopped was because Herring backed off for some odd reason, and allowed Nog to recoop. Had Herring jumped on the downed Nog, it would have been done then and there. Herring was the one making the decision then, not the ref.

Herring actually did jump on Nog just as quickly as Alves jumped on Karo. He didn't back off until 10 seconds later, at which point the Karo/Alves fight was already called. Just an FYI.
bayonetxwork
4/6/08 5:11:56PM

Posted by Aaronno9

Posted by juanez13

Not a very dominant position in the first place when he can't even posture up, and is just getting rained on by elbows, of which 90% of them were legal anyways.
nickcuc547
4/6/08 5:19:07PM
florian definitely outmatched lauzon, he didnt get screwed in any way shape or form.
SociopathX
4/6/08 5:28:30PM
I hate Kenny Florian that guy sucks. Lauzon got screwed big time...

You mean to tell me that after he got with like 6 elbows to the back of the head, received a nice gash, lost the momentum of being on top and had to be re-stood up with no time to even shake the elbow shots off not being screwed?

Florian will get mauled by BJ if he fights him.
nickcuc547
4/6/08 9:18:26PM

Posted by SociopathX

I hate Kenny Florian that guy sucks. Lauzon got screwed big time...

You mean to tell me that after he got with like 6 elbows to the back of the head, received a nice gash, lost the momentum of being on top and had to be re-stood up with no time to even shake the elbow shots off not being screwed?

Florian will get mauled by BJ if he fights him.

maybe if he got pounded directly after, but he had the entire round (which lauzon won), and the second round, give me a break.
warglory
4/8/08 7:08:45PM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by warglory

Posted by juanez13

Herring actually did jump on Nog just as quickly as Alves jumped on Karo. He didn't back off until 10 seconds later, at which point the Karo/Alves fight was already called. Just an FYI.

Well regardless, he didn't capitalize like he should have, which cost him the match.