Lauzon

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Lauzon
nickcuc547
2/8/09 3:03:50PM
he looked very good last night, who do you think they give him next? obviously the ufc feels he's ready for a big fight having already thrown him to florian and pitting him against franca before the injury. I would love to see him actually fight hermes but his injury may prevent that for the next year. I'm hoping to see him go up against a guy like tyson griffin or kurt pellegrino, they would be great tests for joe.
Franklinfan47
2/8/09 3:13:04PM
Both fighters impressed me last night actually, more so Lauzon obviously. His ability to weather punches to secure the sub was well executed. I hope he gets Franca next after the words they've been exchanging.
Khaos
2/8/09 3:13:34PM
I'd hope the put him against Franca next, if not him then Pellegrino.
casey64
2/8/09 3:30:51PM
Franca indeed, there was some trash talk between them so I would like to see them settle it.
ocho-cinco
2/8/09 3:37:14PM
I think Lauzon Vs Diaz would be a sic fight
nickcuc547
2/8/09 3:41:15PM
i think franca would beat joe at this stage of his career, would still be an awesome fight though.
higdon10
2/8/09 3:50:26PM
Spencer Fisher.
ncordless
2/8/09 3:57:50PM
Joe Lauzon put on what was IMO the best fight of career. His transitions on the ground were much quicker than in the past. It seems like he learned where he needed work after losing to Florian and made the improvements.

I would like to see J-Lau fight Clay Guida.
UFCmma666
2/8/09 4:35:26PM
i saw a lot of bj'ness last night in joes ground game he is the future of the division
jiujitsufreak74
2/8/09 5:12:20PM
his grappling had increased tenfold since his last few fights. now, more importantly than actual submission attempts, Joe has drastically improved on his "grappling sense" and he looked very composed and calm no matter where that fight was on the mat. he seems to have developed a strong grappling awareness and his explosiveness and technical skill will make him a threat in the division.

the only thing he might have to work on is his striking. if he trained either Muay Thai or Boxing a bit more than he will be a great threat.

Him vs Kurt would be a match up i would love to see.
Twenty20Dollars
2/8/09 5:26:14PM
It will most likely be franca. Which I hope joe destorys franca.
bls1919
2/8/09 5:57:50PM
The fighters that make the most sense to me are Nate Diaz, Kurt Pelligrino, or the winner of Sanchez/Stevenson. All four fights would be dynamic IMO. we'll see what Joe Silva gives us i geuss?
MFOTHER
2/8/09 6:46:47PM
neer or diaz
higdon10
2/8/09 7:32:47PM
The winner of Stevenson/Sanchez makes sense.
bojangalz
2/8/09 8:15:54PM
Maybe I was the only one, but I thought Lauzon was a little too willing to give up positions in the Stephens fight. At one point early on he dropped for Ryo Chonan special heel hook. He took a shot at an armbar before he had secured it. The fireman's carry was flashy, but a risk not worth taking against most opponents.

I'm not sure about some of those choices. Maybe he felt that Stephens wasn't going to be a threat in his guard. But I think that if he tried some of that stuff against a higher caliber opponent he would have wound up on the business end of a beatdown.

Maybe I'm just not a believer yet. Either way I picked him to win; so I'm not going to complain about the outcome.
prozacnation1978
2/8/09 8:50:19PM
i think next fight will be hermes or josh neer but lauzon looked good
tmas
2/9/09 7:53:46AM
more than likely we will see Joe vs Franca or Joe vs Neer.

its gonna be someone who has won a few straight
Franca (because of the words/it was scheduled)
Neer
Guida
etc
Aether
2/9/09 8:17:29AM

Posted by bojangalz

Maybe I was the only one, but I thought Lauzon was a little too willing to give up positions in the Stephens fight. At one point early on he dropped for Ryo Chonan special heel hook. He took a shot at an armbar before he had secured it. The fireman's carry was flashy, but a risk not worth taking against most opponents.

I'm not sure about some of those choices. Maybe he felt that Stephens wasn't going to be a threat in his guard. But I think that if he tried some of that stuff against a higher caliber opponent he would have wound up on the business end of a beatdown.

Maybe I'm just not a believer yet. Either way I picked him to win; so I'm not going to complain about the outcome.

I agree and I posted this in another thread somewhere. I was really impressed with his grappling but he went for a few really high-risk maneuvers. I'm pretty sure he gave up either mount of side control to try an armbar which ultimately failed and resulted in Stephens taking top position, a dangerous spot to be in against a guy who punches that hard even for a great JJ practitioner.

The only thing I can think is exactly what you said, that he just didn't have any respect for Stephens' ground game and knew he could sweep him basically at will, which is pretty much what he did.
mentalcase
2/9/09 1:56:13PM
id like stevenson vs sanches (winner) vs lauzon vs fanca (winner) for the title shot after kenny has his shot
GSPCanada
2/9/09 5:37:14PM
All these guys would be too much for lauzon, sanchez stevenson franca pellegrino neer and diaz are all great ground fighters it would be too hard for joe to submit them and in the end they all have better standup then lauzon
nickcuc547
2/9/09 6:24:48PM

Posted by Aether

Posted by bojangalz

I agree and I posted this in another thread somewhere. I was really impressed with his grappling but he went for a few really high-risk maneuvers. I'm pretty sure he gave up either mount of side control to try an armbar which ultimately failed and resulted in Stephens taking top position, a dangerous spot to be in against a guy who punches that hard even for a great JJ practitioner.

The only thing I can think is exactly what you said, that he just didn't have any respect for Stephens' ground game and knew he could sweep him basically at will, which is pretty much what he did.

I think it's because stephens isn't great on the ground, i don't think he would have tried those maneuvers against hermes, plus that's part of what makes lauzon good, he takes risks and is unpredictable, that can be both good and bad.
nickcuc547
2/9/09 6:26:29PM

Posted by GSPCanada

All these guys would be too much for lauzon, sanchez stevenson franca pellegrino neer and diaz are all great ground fighters it would be too hard for joe to submit them and in the end they all have better standup then lauzon

he can hang with diaz, neer or pellegrino, i think he's just as good, but I agree the other three are another tier above him, but i think he gets there at some point in his career, he's still a young guy.
RhythmAndStyle
2/9/09 8:20:27PM
Chuteboxer
2/10/09 11:05:56AM

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by GSPCanada

he can hang with diaz, neer or pellegrino, i think he's just as good, but I agree the other three are another tier above him, but i think he gets there at some point in his career, he's still a young guy.

I actually thought, when watching TUF 5, that Lauzon could beat every man in that house with the exception of Gray. I was dissapointed when I saw him lose to Manny, but I don't think he'd lose to that guy again. I think he could beat Nate. Nate may be good on the grount, but his striking is no better than Joe's; the only thing he'd have on Joe would be reach.
Fox
2/11/09 5:18:16PM
I like joe alot hes got a sick ground game and a fight with Diaz would be a great fight altho i do think joe would pull it off i just dont see nate havin the power in the stand up to knock him out and i give the advantage to joe on the ground by a little bit. Would definitly be a war though
nastynick13
2/11/09 5:58:16PM
I've wanted to see Joe vs Nate since TUF5.