J Lau says Tapout Episode with brother Dan "Load of Bullshit"

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » J Lau says Tapout Episode with brother Dan "Load of Bullshit"
nastshabast
8/8/08 12:35:04AM
The Tapout Show with Dan was Garbage
August 07, 2008
My Brother was on a recent episode of the Tapout show... and the whole thing came off terribly.

LINK
SpiderSilva
8/8/08 1:00:47AM
you know when I was watching that I told my wife how did he even make it to the UFC with coachs like that

but yes yes how I forget what reality TV does
Pitbull09
8/8/08 1:04:06AM
Not surprising.
jae_1833
8/8/08 1:17:43AM
Humph.....I am a little surprised.....I thought they were doing fighters right, eye opener for me.
bojangalz
8/8/08 1:46:44AM
I don't think that anyone else has been this critical of the show before in public. I don't watch this show, or any other "reality tv" for this exact reason. The only "reality" is that an editor can give you exactly what he/she wants you to see.

When you've got a week's worth of footage, and you want to condense it down to an hour you have complete creative control over how you want something to look.

More power to them though. This is america, and they make their money in the same capitolist system as the rest of us. Joe can cry about the result all he wants. But he can't reasonibly believe that they wern't going to take liberties with footage and diolog for the sake of story and fabricated special interest. If Joe didn't see this coming, then I think he was probably a little too ignorant to the process.
Salty
8/8/08 6:09:55AM
yea i couldn't believe how they trashed both Bishops (gym i train at now) and RSD (gym i started out at) so they didn't get to see dan train as hard as they want a week out before his fight but they didn't know that he literally fought 2 weeks before that fight in GA so he didn't need to train as hard... not to mention if his trainers sucked as bad as the asshats said how the hell did joe get the the UFC and how has dan rack his record up to 10-2 with his only 2 losses coming from Fisher and Taruosevcious
EpicTerran
8/8/08 7:54:49AM
Man I just didn't expect shows about MMA to be so distorted. That really turns me off from the show. Honestly that turns me off from the tapout crew too. Seems kind of shady now and I don't like it.
HighKick07
8/8/08 7:57:16AM
If they keep it up all the good tough small town camps.{which have some of the most talent} wont even go on the show.all well see is a couple more workouts at the pit.Like the show but dont care for bullshit.Not first person to say that either. The idea of pushing young talent is awesome.but a boring show with a good fight at the end is better then a made up story where the fighters are upset with lies and misleading truths.
Kugel
8/8/08 8:09:04AM
I didn't like that Mask was trying to coach him and tell him where to go either. Stick to acting like a goof ball, you are good at that. And it was obvious that Dan didn't want to be at the gym where a guy was getting ready to fight his brother. And I am sure Kenny din't want him training there at the time either.
saemskin
8/8/08 8:26:56AM
I was wondering why they were taking Dan to the Dellagrotte gym when Kenny and Joe had fought or were going to fight (depending on when this was filmed). It seemed weird to me. I feel bad that Joe feels this way, but I want to know how Dan feels? It's great that Joe is involved with his brother in a protective way, but this didn't have anything to do with him at all.
I'm glad they did this show because I (and all of us) got to see Dan Lauzon completely handle another fighter. Never once was Dan in any semblance of trouble in that fight. He is just as skilled as his brother and will be a force to be reckoned with for sure.

I'll bet you a nickel the Tapout guys address this issue with Joe. They don't seem to be the type to shit on somebody. Knowingly anyway.... Maybe they haven't seen the episode and how it came across. Further, I'm going out on a limb and say that The Versus Network are the producers of this show, not the Tapout crew, so those guys may have creative input, but they are not the ones writing, editing, or directing the episodes.
That being said, Joe may have some mis-directed angst here. He should be angry with Versus, not Tapout. I think this will get squashed soon.
saemskin
8/8/08 8:29:14AM

Posted by Kugel

I didn't like that Mask was trying to coach him and tell him where to go either. Stick to acting like a goof ball, you are good at that. And it was obvious that Dan didn't want to be at the gym where a guy was getting ready to fight his brother. And I am sure Kenny din't want him training there at the time either.

Especially since there is a video on youtube where Danny Lauzon is totally ripping on Ken-Flo and the whole "I finish fights" line. Check it out....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSuunj8YAjc

Darnok
8/8/08 10:31:02AM
In my Opinion Tapout=Crap I have tried to watch a couple of shows and they sicken me. These guys should have stuck with pro wrestling and left MMA clean.
grappler0000
8/8/08 10:33:00AM

Posted by saemskin

I'll bet you a nickel the Tapout guys address this issue with Joe. They don't seem to be the type to shit on somebody. Knowingly anyway.... Maybe they haven't seen the episode and how it came across. Further, I'm going out on a limb and say that The Versus Network are the producers of this show, not the Tapout crew, so those guys may have creative input, but they are not the ones writing, editing, or directing the episodes.
That being said, Joe may have some mis-directed angst here. He should be angry with Versus, not Tapout. I think this will get squashed soon.

If I remember correctly, Mask not only produces TapouT, but also TUF.
Zekeil
8/8/08 10:33:39AM

Posted by EpicTerran

Man I just didn't expect shows about MMA to be so distorted. That really turns me off from the show. Honestly that turns me off from the tapout crew too. Seems kind of shady now and I don't like it.

It's Hollywood it's all distorted unless it's live.
Supposed "reality" shows are the worst because they make the common idiot think it's real.
Even without the editing do you really think people are themselves when they know they're being filmed? NO
Watch old episodes of candid camera. That's people being real, before computers took over and any budget could afford editing.

to Jlau for speaking the truth, He's a stand up guy.
wiggum
8/8/08 10:56:25AM
one question tho before you guys are finish hating on the show....were would YOU train at? rsd or dellagrote's?.....a gym that has multiple ufc guys or a gym that has two.....a gym that has one former title challenger and another upcoming challenger...or one that has none.....if i trained in boston, it would be at dellagrotes.
dust
8/8/08 12:29:00PM
Tha Tapout Crew are losers. Only the overall lack of intelligence in MMA fans keep them afloat.
nickcuc547
8/8/08 12:35:23PM
why is everything joe lauzon says gospel, his constant bitching and excuse making are really turning me off on him.
wiggum
8/8/08 12:45:21PM
no kiddin....and with the editors of the show, who knows what was really said and what was edited ....and since when is joe lauzon the foremost expert on mma?.....no matter what you think of the tapout crew, i personally think they are jackasses (except for punkass, that mo fo is cool), they are putting more positive attention on to mma with that show...the show itself, wether truthful or not, does show a diffent side of the industry thats not the glitz and glamour of the ufc....i think we all should be grateful that this show exists and take it with a grain of salt as opposed to bashing it......tapout misteps in the editing room for one show and everybody has a hissy, but how many times does the ufc edit the ultimate fighter to fit theyre fancy and 99% percent of the time nobody makes a peep....if you like the show, watch it then...if you dont then change the channel
The-Don
8/8/08 1:36:50PM

Posted by wiggum

no kiddin....and with the editors of the show, who knows what was really said and what was edited ....and since when is joe lauzon the foremost expert on mma?.....no matter what you think of the tapout crew, i personally think they are jackasses (except for punkass, that mo fo is cool), they are putting more positive attention on to mma with that show...the show itself, wether truthful or not, does show a diffent side of the industry thats not the glitz and glamour of the ufc....i think we all should be grateful that this show exists and take it with a grain of salt as opposed to bashing it......tapout misteps in the editing room for one show and everybody has a hissy, but how many times does the ufc edit the ultimate fighter to fit theyre fancy and 99% percent of the time nobody makes a peep....if you like the show, watch it then...if you dont then change the channel

I agree.. it shows you the small shows where fighter are trying to make it where they are getting paid in some cases less then it cost for them to get there and train for the fight.. All reality shows are not real its a show.. usually they do a good job on Tapout of making the fighters look good.. I did not see this episode.. so I am not sure what all is being talked about.. but compared to most reality shows this is one I can stomach.. mostly for the fight at the end of it though..
postman
8/8/08 1:53:54PM
I was suprised to see the Tapout guys putting the schools down like they were. I also was wondering why they thought he should be training so hard a week out from the fight. The guys I know who fight don't do that and I just read about how Fitch was relived to be done training and resting for the fight this weekend. But as many have stated before Its TV.
Salty
8/8/08 5:26:26PM

Posted by saemskin

I was wondering why they were taking Dan to the Dellagrotte gym when Kenny and Joe had fought or were going to fight (depending on when this was filmed). It seemed weird to me. I feel bad that Joe feels this way, but I want to know how Dan feels?

dan feels the same way he is going to post a blog about what really happened about the episode, they had a big thing on it on Massmma.com but someone took it down, and dan was on mmaweekly radio show last night at 9pm est talking about it. on one of his posts he said something along the lines of this....

"I really got to see how reality tv works and how tapout works....

http://www.sprawl.tv"

in other words i think hes dropping his tapout sponsorship because of how they played off the gyms.
Salty
8/8/08 5:31:42PM

Posted by wiggum

one question tho before you guys are finish hating on the show....were would YOU train at? rsd or dellagrote's?.....a gym that has multiple ufc guys or a gym that has two.....a gym that has one former title challenger and another upcoming challenger...or one that has none.....if i trained in boston, it would be at dellagrotes.

it would depend on where you lived/how far you wanted to travel, personally i LOVE training at RSD (known as Lauzon MMA now) and Bishops (the first gym they showed dan at) and wouldn't plan on changing at all... is it mainly because they arn't an hour drive from me, no but it helps. no one south of boston wants to drive into somerville after work during rush hour traffic, it sucks... im sure some of the guys that train there do, to each his own. not to mention when did it matter if a gym has UFC fighters training there or not. just because you train with someone like Kenny doesn't mean your going to be better then someone that trains with some small gym....